Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Mummy's Shroud (1967)

NipkowDisc

my favorite mummy movie. yeah, the mummy costume doan look too realistic but that's no reason to dismiss this thriller by the underrated John Gilling. it's a very well-executed horror film. 2 things I doan like. 1. I doan like that the scruffy egyptian tomb guardian was needed to activate the mummy by reading the shroud. a good mummy is one that is activated by it's owm timeless aura of evil. I woulda preferred that prem or prim got going all by his lonesome.
what makes this such an underrated classic is how the ignorant stupid 20th century desecrators are dispatched. the photographer harry gives a good account of himself but unfortunately prem knows something about modern photographic chemicals and crushes a bottle of acid right over him and he writhes and twists in agony as he expires. maximum horror with minimum gore, that's how you do it.:D
of course the highlight for me is when the sniveling cretinous longbarrow played by michael ripper gets his. he stupidly squishes his own specs then guess who's at the door to hurry his exit from this mortal life? prem wraps longbarrow in his own bedsheets and chucks him out a window screaming like a bad caramel candy apple and splat! right on to a nice hard stone water recepticle below. what great horror movie fun! even the music is very good. just exactly what music accompanying a horror movie about an ancient killer mummy oughta sound like.
andre morell playing the expedition leader sir basil walden is the first to go. the mummy crushes his head like a rotten pumpkin. he shoulda taken stephen boyd's advice in ben-hur and gone on vacation.

:lol:

17 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

my favorite mummy movie. yeah, the mummy costume doan look too realistic but that's no reason to dismiss this thriller by the underrated John Gilling.

Haven't seen it, as I generally eschew Hammer's attempt at Universal monster revivals. But Catherine Lacey is in it (she was the fake nun in The Lady Vanishes);

Catherine_Lacey.jpg

Catherine Lacey in The Lady Vanishes

and John Gilling did give us this lovely lass:

hammers-reptile.jpg?w=655&h=426

Jacqueline Pearce The Reptile

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings