Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

“Dutch Girl: Audrey Hepburn and World War II”

cinecrazydc

Audrey Hepburn — heartbroken by the execution of her uncle by the Nazis — worked for the Resistance in World War II, an upcoming book will report.

Hepburn was a preteen ballerina in England when the war broke out in 1939. Her mother, a baroness, took her home to Holland hoping the Netherlands would stay neutral. But the country was soon occupied by the Third Reich.

(read more)

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/audrey-hepburn-reportedly-helped-resist-nazis-in-holland-during-wwii

39 minutes ago, cinecrazydc said:

Audrey Hepburn — heartbroken by the execution of her uncle by the Nazis — worked for the Resistance in World War II, an upcoming book will report.

Hepburn was a preteen ballerina in England when the war broke out in 1939. Her mother, a baroness, took her home to Holland hoping the Netherlands would stay neutral. But the country was soon occupied by the Third Reich.

(read more)

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/audrey-hepburn-reportedly-helped-resist-nazis-in-holland-during-wwii

I couldn't open the link but I notice that it says 'reportedly';    I find it hard to believe this story hasn't been mentioned before (e.g. in a Hepburn biography) and was vetted at that time.

Yup. I know the story well. It's fascinating. And I can name several other ones similar--from other actors we all know well. The war turned lives upside down.

Whether it is 100% factually true or not? I can't say. But if the other ones I know about are; why not this one?

• Like 1

This story is related to the new book by Robert Matzen which is to be released later this winter, which is also written up in the TCM site.  He also wrote Fireball, which was about Carole Lombard, focusing on the tragic plane crash in which she died, and a wartime bio of Jimmy Stewart, Mission.  I'm a fan of his Errol and Olivia.  I'm actually looking forward to this new book.  Matzen's a good writer with some interesting takes on his subjects, and he really does his research.  Dutch Girl might be the breakthrough book for him.

• Like 1

Well, so much has been written about Audrey Hepburn over the years, I doubt anything surprising will be in it. Her work for the resistance has been known for years and talked about in other books. She didnt like talking about it while she was alive...

• Thanks 1

Again, again, it all comes down to the casting for DIARY OF ANNE FRANK.

sure, Audrey was too old IRL to pass as Anne Frank, but IMHO, she was the natural choice.

I think she turned it down, anyway. But WOW, it would have been quite a wonderful film (and not a "Hollywood" pastiche) if she had played that role.

A super important story that we WISH had starred a woman who had LIVED it.

There are some billboard-sized pics of Anne Frank up in my city right now promoting a museum exhibit, and I have to say, however great an actress she was, Audrey was WAY too old to be playing the little girl I see in the few photos we have her. She progressed into adolescence during her time in hiding, I guess, and we don't have any photos of that, but still, Audrey was THIRTY in 1959! Perkins was 21, and I agree also too old, but she still had a bit of a teenage look about her. Natalie Portman played her on Broadway when she was about 16, I think, and that's maybe the closest big star interpretation we've had to being age-appropriate.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings