Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hibi

Dark Shadows Fans

6 hours ago, Hibi said:

I never thought much of Nancy Barrett on the show. Pretty, but not much else. Hated her stiff flip hairdo...I did like her in the Quentin storyline.

you doan mean pansy faye?

:o

On 11/11/2019 at 7:34 AM, Dommy said:

Yes I know Nancy Barrett did all those soaps after "Dark Shadows" went off the air.  She actually appeared on "One Life To Live" twice.  Her first character was Rachel Wilson a terminally ill patient.  She was actually given a double dosage of her medicine by a pair of doctors who were having an affair.  Doctor Mark Toland who was played by none other than Tommy Lee Jones and Dorian  Cramer played by Nancy Pinkerton.  The second time she was on it was in the 80's.  She played the DA.   She said in an interview she turned down prime time roles in the 70's.  Too bad she didn't take the offers.  All fans of her and the show always loved her beautiful shoulder length blonde hair.

Thanks for reminding me about this storyline, when Nancy Barrett played Rachel, a potential love interest of Dr. Larry Wolek (Michael Storm). Tommy Lee Jones (then billed as Tom Lee Jones) was excellent. He began as the nice young intern who saved the live of Julie (Lee Warrick), who had taken an overdose when her live-in boyfriend (David Snell) had dumped her. Mark and Julie became a couple, though their relationship was shadowed by Mark's jealousy about Julie's previous boyfriend. I thought this story was very well written--by Sam Hall and Gordon Russell, perhaps?--and developed into Mark having an affair with an older woman, Dr. Dorian Cramer, very well played by Nancy Pinkerton. Dorian's sister Melinda (Patricia Pearcy) was painfully shy and turned out to be mentally ill, trying to kill Mark.

Either Tom Lee Jones' contract was up or he made enemies on the show because suddenly Dr. Mark Toland's character became darker and darker until he was killed off, with almost everyone in Llanview a suspect in his murder. I didn't necessarily think Mr. Jones would become a Hollywood star, but I thought he was a very good actor, smart, with interesting looks.

So with all this stay at home time I the wife and I re-watched Dark Shadows (2012) what a piece of S.  Forgot how disappointing it was.

So I was just searching around for more viewing possibilities and found out the the entire Dark Shadows (1991) series (twelve episodes) is free for streaming on Amazon Prime.  We'd never watched it before.  So we caught the first two episodes back to back.

What its got going for it is one, the first couple of episodes were directed by Dan Curtis original soap series creator.  Writing Credits go to Curtis,  Steve Feke, Hall Powell, Bill Taub, Art Wallace and Sal Hall (Grayson's husband) and others. 

Dark Shadow Fans can look at it as a "Parallel Time" Dark Shadows, lol.  Curtis cast, much like he did Joan Bennett in the original another Noir actress Jean Simmons as Elizabeth in this go round and Roy Thinnes from TV  SyFy show  The Invaders  as Rodger who is having an affair with Maggie Evan's played by Ely Pouget, Joseph Gordon-Levitt as David Collins and Jim Fyfe is doing a pretty good Willie. Ben Cross plays Barnabas, Barbara Steele is pretty good as Dr. Julia Hoffman, There is no Professor Stokes but a Prof. Michael Woodard in his place.  So far the rest of the women Victoria and Caroline contrary to the soap aren't very distinguishable, yet, and we haven't seen who is playing Angelique. 

The first episode fast tracks the story showing Victoria on the train arriving at Collinwood to start her governess job. Victoria walks over to the Blue Whale where she meet the owner Sam Evans bartending and Maggie as a waitress along with Daphne Collins. Maggie has a penchant for reading tarot cards. Meanwhile , Wille who in this parallel Shadows is now the son of Mrs Johnson the cook, is already deciphering the riddle of where the family jewels are hidden in the Collins mausoleum.  

When Barnabas is let loose by Willie he starts killing people and unlike in the Soap the authorities add a large drainage of blood from the victims + human saliva in the wounds and come up = Vampire. Daphne Collins Barnabas' first victim dies and rises  back to life as an undead Vampire. This storyline is lifted from House of Dark Shadows storyline of Caroline coming back from the dead and David  seeing her by the abandoned pool.  Julia confronts Barnabas as in the series telling him that she can cure him.  That's roughly where the first two episodes bring you too.

The 12 episode series compacts to the equivalent of about a year of the  soap.  Premier episode was about and hour & a half the second about 50 minutes.

The restoration is excellent The production values are great similar to the two Curtis  films. The only quibble so far is some day for night shots look way too bright comparably to shots actually shot at night, they should add a blue filter or something. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Michael Gordon Leavitt as David Collins 

That's actually Joseph Gordon-Levitt. He would later appear on the sitcom 3rd Rock from the Sun before becoming a respected leading actor in indie films like (500) Days of Summer and Brick, as well as higher profile stuff like Looper and The Dark Knight Rises.

joseph-gordon-levitt-2.jpg

I thought Joanna Going as Victoria Winters was gorgeous in that 90's version.

48efb3bc03eef010801e8d0590ad13b3.jpg

• Like 2

I'm watching Dark Shadows on Decades (9:00 PDT weekdays);     This last week or so has been about Maggie Evans and her lack of memory about what Barnabas did,  and David getting lost for a few days and discovering Barnabas' coffin.   There is also Barnabas dead sister Sara.   The police and Maggie's dad try to trap her kidnapper by saying she has recovered her memory.     Barnabas goes to kill her but instead Willie goes to warn her and falls into the police trap and takes 5 bullets.     

ANYHOW:    For these episodes they go from color to b&w,  back to color, then back to b&w.....       Say what????

Can anyone explain this?     Now I can see when a new season starts,  a series were all the previous episodes were b&w,   now goes to color.    But it remains color from then on.

This flip from one to another and back and forth;     what gives?

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

ANYHOW:    For these episodes they go from color to b&w,  back to color, then back to b&w.....       Say what????

Can anyone explain this?     Now I can see when a new season starts,  a series were all the previous episodes were b&w,   now goes to color.    But it remains color from then on.

Yes, the color episodes are the surviving episodes the black & white episodes were the backup kinescopes after they went to all color, when the original was missing they used the kinescope to fill in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

the 1991 version was made because of the writers strike. It had  decent rating but the gulf war was going on. I watched a documentary on Amazon about  Dark Shadows.

2 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Yes, the color episodes are the surviving episodes the black & white episodes were the backup kinescopes after they went to all color, when the original was missing they used the knescope to fill in.

Went missing?    Did they put them into the Universal film vault?   (ha ha).

Hey, thanks for that info.     I assumed it might be something like that but,   as related to my joke,   these episodes were from 1966 \ 67 and not like the lost films from Universal that were from many decades before then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Hey, thanks for that info.     I assumed it might be something like that but,   as related to my joke,   these episodes were from 1966 \ 67 and not like the lost films from Universal that were from many decades before then.

Many TV shows were shot on videotape, or were transferred to tape for editing and/or broadcast. A lot of those tapes were lost, deteriorated over time, or most likely, were erased and taped over. The most notorious culprit for this was the BBC, who taped over old shows for decades. The idea of a re-run was virtually unknown there, and no one anticipated a home video market in the future. Some American shows, especially the daytime shows, had the same issues. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I'm watching Dark Shadows on Decades (9:00 PDT weekdays);     This last week or so has been about Maggie Evans and her lack of memory about what Barnabas did,  and David getting lost for a few days and discovering Barnabas' coffin.   There is also Barnabas dead sister Sara.   The police and Maggie's dad try to trap her kidnapper by saying she has recovered her memory.     Barnabas goes to kill her but instead Willie goes to warn her and falls into the police trap and takes 5 bullets.     

some color eps after they went to color obviously do not exist. those eps usually have a poor grainy visual quality to them.

I wish I could find the innovation comics adaptation of the 1991 dark shadows.

ben cross was excellent as Barnabas and I feel that Barbara Steele surpassed Grayson Hall as Julia.

as far as Michael Woodard being vampirized by barnabas and trying to bite his old friend Julia it came off like a bad impression of prof. stokes attacking jeff clark after he arrives on Eustace island in House of Dark Shadows.

17 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

No I think they were just too damaged for use. There are also a few kinescopes of the Black & White episodes also where the original was unuseable. Also BTW while we are discussing them I believe they had to cobble together a double episode to cover one episode where both original and kinescope were unusable or lost.