Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dark Shadows Fans

On 11/11/2019 at 7:34 AM, Dommy said:

Yes I know Nancy Barrett did all those soaps after "Dark Shadows" went off the air.  She actually appeared on "One Life To Live" twice.  Her first character was Rachel Wilson a terminally ill patient.  She was actually given a double dosage of her medicine by a pair of doctors who were having an affair.  Doctor Mark Toland who was played by none other than Tommy Lee Jones and Dorian  Cramer played by Nancy Pinkerton.  The second time she was on it was in the 80's.  She played the DA.   She said in an interview she turned down prime time roles in the 70's.  Too bad she didn't take the offers.  All fans of her and the show always loved her beautiful shoulder length blonde hair.

Thanks for reminding me about this storyline, when Nancy Barrett played Rachel, a potential love interest of Dr. Larry Wolek (Michael Storm). Tommy Lee Jones (then billed as Tom Lee Jones) was excellent. He began as the nice young intern who saved the live of Julie (Lee Warrick), who had taken an overdose when her live-in boyfriend (David Snell) had dumped her. Mark and Julie became a couple, though their relationship was shadowed by Mark's jealousy about Julie's previous boyfriend. I thought this story was very well written--by Sam Hall and Gordon Russell, perhaps?--and developed into Mark having an affair with an older woman, Dr. Dorian Cramer, very well played by Nancy Pinkerton. Dorian's sister Melinda (Patricia Pearcy) was painfully shy and turned out to be mentally ill, trying to kill Mark.

Either Tom Lee Jones' contract was up or he made enemies on the show because suddenly Dr. Mark Toland's character became darker and darker until he was killed off, with almost everyone in Llanview a suspect in his murder. I didn't necessarily think Mr. Jones would become a Hollywood star, but I thought he was a very good actor, smart, with interesting looks.

• 4 months later...

So with all this stay at home time I the wife and I re-watched Dark Shadows (2012) what a piece of S.  Forgot how disappointing it was.

So I was just searching around for more viewing possibilities and found out the the entire Dark Shadows (1991) series (twelve episodes) is free for streaming on Amazon Prime.  We'd never watched it before.  So we caught the first two episodes back to back.

What its got going for it is one, the first couple of episodes were directed by Dan Curtis original soap series creator.  Writing Credits go to Curtis,  Steve Feke, Hall Powell, Bill Taub, Art Wallace and Sal Hall (Grayson's husband) and others. 

Dark Shadow Fans can look at it as a "Parallel Time" Dark Shadows, lol.  Curtis cast, much like he did Joan Bennett in the original another Noir actress Jean Simmons as Elizabeth in this go round and Roy Thinnes from TV  SyFy show  The Invaders  as Rodger who is having an affair with Maggie Evan's played by Ely Pouget, Joseph Gordon-Levitt as David Collins and Jim Fyfe is doing a pretty good Willie. Ben Cross plays Barnabas, Barbara Steele is pretty good as Dr. Julia Hoffman, There is no Professor Stokes but a Prof. Michael Woodard in his place.  So far the rest of the women Victoria and Caroline contrary to the soap aren't very distinguishable, yet, and we haven't seen who is playing Angelique. 

The first episode fast tracks the story showing Victoria on the train arriving at Collinwood to start her governess job. Victoria walks over to the Blue Whale where she meet the owner Sam Evans bartending and Maggie as a waitress along with Daphne Collins. Maggie has a penchant for reading tarot cards. Meanwhile , Wille who in this parallel Shadows is now the son of Mrs Johnson the cook, is already deciphering the riddle of where the family jewels are hidden in the Collins mausoleum.  

When Barnabas is let loose by Willie he starts killing people and unlike in the Soap the authorities add a large drainage of blood from the victims + human saliva in the wounds and come up = Vampire. Daphne Collins Barnabas' first victim dies and rises  back to life as an undead Vampire. This storyline is lifted from House of Dark Shadows storyline of Caroline coming back from the dead and David  seeing her by the abandoned pool.  Julia confronts Barnabas as in the series telling him that she can cure him.  That's roughly where the first two episodes bring you too.

The 12 episode series compacts to the equivalent of about a year of the  soap.  Premier episode was about and hour & a half the second about 50 minutes.

The restoration is excellent The production values are great similar to the two Curtis  films. The only quibble so far is some day for night shots look way too bright comparably to shots actually shot at night, they should add a blue filter or something. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Michael Gordon Leavitt as David Collins 

That's actually Joseph Gordon-Levitt. He would later appear on the sitcom 3rd Rock from the Sun before becoming a respected leading actor in indie films like (500) Days of Summer and Brick, as well as higher profile stuff like Looper and The Dark Knight Rises.

joseph-gordon-levitt-2.jpg

I thought Joanna Going as Victoria Winters was gorgeous in that 90's version.

48efb3bc03eef010801e8d0590ad13b3.jpg

• Like 2

I'm watching Dark Shadows on Decades (9:00 PDT weekdays);     This last week or so has been about Maggie Evans and her lack of memory about what Barnabas did,  and David getting lost for a few days and discovering Barnabas' coffin.   There is also Barnabas dead sister Sara.   The police and Maggie's dad try to trap her kidnapper by saying she has recovered her memory.     Barnabas goes to kill her but instead Willie goes to warn her and falls into the police trap and takes 5 bullets.     

ANYHOW:    For these episodes they go from color to b&w,  back to color, then back to b&w.....       Say what????

Can anyone explain this?     Now I can see when a new season starts,  a series were all the previous episodes were b&w,   now goes to color.    But it remains color from then on.

This flip from one to another and back and forth;     what gives?

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

ANYHOW:    For these episodes they go from color to b&w,  back to color, then back to b&w.....       Say what????

Can anyone explain this?     Now I can see when a new season starts,  a series were all the previous episodes were b&w,   now goes to color.    But it remains color from then on.

Yes, the color episodes are the surviving episodes the black & white episodes were the backup kinescopes after they went to all color, when the original was missing they used the kinescope to fill in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

the 1991 version was made because of the writers strike. It had  decent rating but the gulf war was going on. I watched a documentary on Amazon about  Dark Shadows.

2 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Yes, the color episodes are the surviving episodes the black & white episodes were the backup kinescopes after they went to all color, when the original was missing they used the knescope to fill in.

Went missing?    Did they put them into the Universal film vault?   (ha ha).

Hey, thanks for that info.     I assumed it might be something like that but,   as related to my joke,   these episodes were from 1966 \ 67 and not like the lost films from Universal that were from many decades before then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Hey, thanks for that info.     I assumed it might be something like that but,   as related to my joke,   these episodes were from 1966 \ 67 and not like the lost films from Universal that were from many decades before then.

Many TV shows were shot on videotape, or were transferred to tape for editing and/or broadcast. A lot of those tapes were lost, deteriorated over time, or most likely, were erased and taped over. The most notorious culprit for this was the BBC, who taped over old shows for decades. The idea of a re-run was virtually unknown there, and no one anticipated a home video market in the future. Some American shows, especially the daytime shows, had the same issues. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I'm watching Dark Shadows on Decades (9:00 PDT weekdays);     This last week or so has been about Maggie Evans and her lack of memory about what Barnabas did,  and David getting lost for a few days and discovering Barnabas' coffin.   There is also Barnabas dead sister Sara.   The police and Maggie's dad try to trap her kidnapper by saying she has recovered her memory.     Barnabas goes to kill her but instead Willie goes to warn her and falls into the police trap and takes 5 bullets.     

some color eps after they went to color obviously do not exist. those eps usually have a poor grainy visual quality to them.

I wish I could find the innovation comics adaptation of the 1991 dark shadows.

ben cross was excellent as Barnabas and I feel that Barbara Steele surpassed Grayson Hall as Julia.

• Like 1

as far as Michael Woodard being vampirized by barnabas and trying to bite his old friend Julia it came off like a bad impression of prof. stokes attacking jeff clark after he arrives on Eustace island in House of Dark Shadows.

17 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

No I think they were just too damaged for use. There are also a few kinescopes of the Black & White episodes also where the original was unuseable. Also BTW while we are discussing them I believe they had to cobble together a double episode to cover one episode where both original and kinescope were unusable or lost.

Anyway the wife and I made it through the 1991 series.  Some of the  new technical effects and on location stuff was great.

Didn't think much of  Jean Simmons she didn't contribute all that, came to like Barbara Blackburn   
Jim Fyfe, Joanna Going, Ely Pouget, Michael T. Weiss and Barbara Steele. Ben Cross was a passable Barnabas but I didn't like the goat  eye contact lens change or the face cgi when he was hungry for blood. Didn't like Lysette Anthony as Angelique, Laura Parker was way better but was impressed with the voodoo doll she made, they did that better.  Again a little too much cgi effects for Angelique also. 

Well my wife is really getting on my case for watching the T.V. series,  Dark Shadows.    She just can't understand what I like about it.     E.g.   'the best actor I've seen so far,  that doesn't **** up his lines is the kid,, David!!"   (David Henesy).       

I told her the main reason I watch this is for Joan Bennett;  Come on honey,,,, you know Joan,,,, classic movie star,   noir actress,,  Scarlet Street,   Women in the Window,   The Reckless Moment etc..

That worked for a while,  but since Joan 'comes and goes'  that reason is falling apart (ha ha).

I'll be missing most of tonight since Better Call Saul,  is also on at 9:00.       She said it doesn't matter if I miss some episodes since the story line moves  sooooo slowly,  that I'm really not missing much!   (something else she figured out).

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

She said it doesn't matter if I miss some episodes since the story line moves  sooooo slowly,  that I'm really not missing much!   (something else she figured out).

True, plus they usually always gave you a bit of a recap from the previous days episode. The 1991 rehash went way too fast for us.  

I thought that ben cross was pretty damn good as Barnabas but I thought the writing was too much of a retread because after willie frees Barnabas I thought I was watching a remake of House of Dark Shadows.

I thought they were trying to sex things up for younger viewers unfamiliar with the earlier soap opera. I thought that jim fyfe's performance as willie was all wrong as john karlen never played willie as  comic relief and the intro shoulda been better conceived. the old theme sounded like it was being played too subtlely and anyone could see Collinwood was a miniature which I found insulting.

maybe Curtis shoulda taken a shot at a Kolchak night stalker remake.

I remember this one exquisite ep where lara parker gives it her delightful all. in the foyer barnabas introduces Angelique to Roxanne Drew and Angelique responds with a quiet "why hello miss drew."

then after Roxanne departs she turns to Barnabas and gives him her patented eye zing accompanied by "sooo…..SHE is the one!"

and Barnabas just stands there with his head lowered.

Lara Parker - IMDb

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Watching Dark Shadows on Decades last week (weekdays 9:00 PM PDT);     As I posted above some of the episodes are in B&W due to the lost of the color ones.

Well I'm watching where Dr. Dave Woodard and Maggie Evans' father are trying to figure out who kidnapped Maggie.   There are many episodes with Roger Gerringer playing Dr. Woodard,  the town's physician.     Well all of a sudden,  there is another actor playing the Doctor.     I just read that Gerringer refused to cross the picket line during a technical strike so he was replaced by Peter Turgeon.       

What made me make this post was the major mistake made by the actor,  Anthony George,  as Burke Devlin.   In the first episode where we see Turegon in the role as Dr. Woodard,  Devlin calls him Dr.  Hoffman.      (yea,  as in Julia HOFFMAN).        Hey I was already really confused wondering 'hey,,  who is this new character who appears to be a doctor,,, I don't think I have seen him before???).      Then there is that scene.    I assumed this new-guy was Julia Hoffman brother or some other relative!    Instead it was just another goof that the director didn't feel was bad enough to do a re-take for!        Yea, they were that cheap!

PS: this was in B&W so maybe the lost color one didn't have this mistake.  

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Watching Dark Shadows on Decades last week (weekdays 9:00 PM PDT);     As I posted above some of the episodes are in B&W due to the lost of the color ones.

Well I'm watching where Dr. Dave Woodard and Maggie Evans' father are trying to figure out who kidnapped Maggie.   There are many episodes with Roger Gerringer playing Dr. Woodard,  the town's physician.     Well all of a sudden,  there is another actor playing the Doctor.     I just read that Gerringer refused to cross the picket line during a technical strike so he was replaced by Peter Turgeon.       

What made me make this post was the major mistake made by the actor,  Anthony George,  as Burke Devlin.   In the first episode where we see Turegon in the role as Dr. Woodard,  Devlin calls him Dr.  Hoffman.      (yea,  as in Julia HOFFMAN).        Hey I was already really confused wondering 'hey,,  who is this new character who appears to be a doctor,,, I don't think I have seen him before???).      Then there is that scene.    I assumed this new-guy was Julia Hoffman brother or some other relative!    Instead it was just another goof that the director didn't feel was bad enough to do a re-take for!        Yea, they were that cheap!

PS: this was in B&W so maybe the lost color one didn't have this mistake.  

peter turgeon who replaced Gerringer as Dr. Woodard was the annoying passenger in Airport. the one who doan like kids and the priest has to slap to shuddum up.

:D

• Thanks 1