Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Know What I Watched on TCM This Summer (2018 Edition)

sewhite2000

Reprising the same thing I did last year. Summer is my "dry spell" for TCM viewing, because I watch a lot of baseball in the summer, folks. A lot of baseball. Probably not a week between April Fool's Day and Halloween that I watch TCM more than twice, except for All-Star week, when there are four days with no games but the All-Star game. And I might go as many as three weeks without watching at all. I've just begun diving back into TCM full throttle the last couple of nights since the World Series ended on Sunday.

But, let's look back and see if what I did watch amounts to anything interesting or unusual. It will still add up to quite a few films, but this stretched out over a space of seven months. I will list the films chronologically by year of release. Almost all of these viewings were in primetime hours. That's when I'm usually able to watch. Maybe a handful were late night. I don't think there are any daytime movies on here at all:

Der Blaue Angel (German-language version, UFA, 1930) 
Of Human Bondage (RKO, 1934)
Imitation of Life (Universal, 1934)
A Woman Rebels (RKO, 1936)
My Man Godfrey (Universal, 1936)
Pygmalion (Pascal/Dist. in US by MGM, 1938)
Gone With the Wind (Selznick/MGM, 1939)
Son of Frankenstein (Universal, 1939)
His Girl Friday (Columbia, 1940)
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (MGM, 1941)
Yankee Doodle Dandy (Warner Bros., 1942)
The Man Who Came to Dinner (Warner Bros., 1942)
The Magnificent Ambersons (RKO, 1942)
Mrs. Parkington (MGM, 1944)
Great Expectations (Cineguild, 1946/Dist. in US by Universal, 1947)
Pinky (20th Century, Fox, 1949) 
The Mudlark (20th Century Fox, 1950)
A Star is Born (Warner Bros., 1954)
The Man with the Golden Arm (United Artists, 1955)
Some Came Running (MGM, 1958)
Horror of Dracula (Hammer/Dist. in US by Universal, 1958)
A Summer Place (Warner Bros., 1959)
The Mummy (Hammer/Dist. in US by Universal, 1959)
No Love for Johnnie (Rank/Dist. in US by Embassy, 1961)
Lolita (MGM, 1962)
To Kill a Mockingbird (Universal, 1962)
The Great Escape (United Artists, 1963)
8 1/2 (Cineriz/Dist. in US by Embassy, 1963)
The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (Hammer/Dist. in US by Columbia, 1964)
The Cincinnati Kid (MGM, 1965)
Far from the Madding Crowd (MGM, 1967)
Funny Girl (Columbia, 1968)
Bulitt (Warner Bros., 1968)
The Devil's Bride (Hammer/Dist. in US by 20th Century Fox, 1968)

I tend not to watch many movies set before the Victorian Era, a personal prejudice. I suppose a lot of Westerns might be technically during or before the Victorian Era. I pick my Westerns very carefully. But anything swords-and-sandals or pirate ships or knights of the round table or whatever, it has to come highly recommended before I watch it. Sorry, Errol Flynn. So, you can see that guided my viewing choices.

By decade the movies I watched were:
1930s 8
1940s 8
1950s 7
1960s 11

Nothing from the silent era, but nothing post-'60s, either.

By studio, if you count American distributors of foreign films as a studio, which is a bit of a cheat, but just to really Americanize things, that's what I did:

MGM 8
Universal 7
Warner Bros. 5
RKO/Columbia/20th Century Fox 3 each
United Artists/Embassy 2 each

All the early Hammer horror films were distributed in America by Universal. It was probably a big kick for them to be distributed in America by the studio they modeled their films after. Anyway, that probably gives Universal an unusually high representation on my list, but hey, there was also Imitation of LifeDodsworth and To Kill a Mockingbird. Officially, there are no Paramount films on my list, although the English-language version of The Blue Angel, which I think aired the same night as the one I watched, was from Paramount, and I just as easily could have watched it.

Have I just watched too darn much TCM (or does TCM not have enough variety)? Only three movies I watched all summer I had never seen before: Mrs. ParkingtonThe Mudlark and No Love for JohnnieThe Mudlark was a TCM premiere; Johnnie was a relative rarity. Mrs. Parkington has aired many, many times, but somehow, I'd always missed it: this was, I think, the last Greer Garson MGM film I'd never seen.

Okay, thanks for my indulging my ego, as I shove all the movies I watched into your collective faces. 

• Like 1

I actually remembered I had not seen Curse of the Mummy's Tomb before, sort of a B-team effort from Hammer, with Cushing, Lee and Terrence Fisher all AWOL, so maybe TCM doesn't show it quite as frequently. So, there were four movies on that list that I'd never seen before.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings