Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jakeem

Awards season 2018-2019

#BooksmartBooksmart_2019.png subverts many expectations one brings to a teen party comedy, has a big and open heart, blasts a lot of stereotypes and plays into other ones. Not genius, but give it a solid B, B+ if correct attitude counts.

Set in rural, 19th Century Vietnam, #TheThirdWife is certainly a critique of patriarchal (and, secondarily, class economics) domination. It often seems more interested, however, in playing out some highly sensual soap operatics.

#BrightburnSony_Brightburn_BB_2019_add.png has some entertaining gory moments. Not much else going for it despite the potential of its evil #SUPERBOY premise. Would've been more fun if there had been any of the funny stuff we expect from a #Gunn brothers' project, but it's uncharacteristically serious - & dumb

I felt so sorry for the folks in the AA therapy group who had to listen to #EltonJohn tell his whole, self-pitying life story in #RocketmanMovieParamount_Rocketman_Rocket.png- until I realized that this blubbering, John-approved biopic was making all of us in the audience its group therapy captives too.

There was evidently lots of conflict over #Domino's final form, so I hesitate to describe it as another late #BrianDePalma misfire. Hesitate, but then I have to do it. Pretty much a total dud, with only one signature bravura sequence that actually works.