Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Favorite B-film series...?

I love the Sherlock Holmes pictures that Universal made in the 40s. I think I enjoy them because they are B films and have to be more creative to overcome budget shortcomings. I watched the two A films Fox made and they're just not as charming as the Universal entries in the series.

screen-shot-2015-03-09-at-11-36-54-am.pn

I also love MGM's Maisie series. Ann Sothern is just so perfect playing Maisie Ravier. It's fun the way this character keeps picking up the pieces and starting over in each subsequent film. She's a real gypsy heart.

What's your favorite B-film series..?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cinemaspeak59 said:

Well, TopBilled, mine are the same as your's.  I also like The Falcon and Boston B-l-a-c-k-i-e series as enjoyable detective films.

It's interesting you commented, because I watched more Sherlock Holmes last night. I think he's one of my favorite detective characters. Basil Rathbone and Jeremy Brett are the definitive actors in this role.

• Like 2

Just now, TopBilled said:

It's interesting you commented, because I watched more Sherlock Holmes last night. I think he's one of my favorite detective characters. Basil Rathbone and Jeremy Brett are the definitive actors in this role.

Last week I saw Terror by Night (1946) and loved it, with the very atmospheric and romantic train setting. I plan on rewatching that and several other Sherlock Holmes films starring Basil Rathbone. I remember seeing Jeremy Brett play the role in the PBS films that aired a while back.  Both he and Rathbone are great, capturing what you think Sherlock Holmes would be like.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cinemaspeak59 said:

Last week I saw Terror by Night (1946) and loved it, with the very atmospheric and romantic train setting. I plan on rewatching that and several other Sherlock Holmes films starring Basil Rathbone. I remember seeing Jeremy Brett play the role in the PBS films that aired a while back.  Both he and Rathbone are great, capturing what you think Sherlock Holmes would be like.

Some of the Rathbone ones are in the public domain and easy to find on YouTube.

The British series with Jeremy Brett is on Britbox. All four seasons. It's superb.

• Thanks 1

I know some websites where arguments about the 'definitive' Sherlock Holmes --rage with a furor --that Hades wouldn't have twice.

Someone oughta whip up a thread around here, about all the cinematic and TV versions of Holmes. Charlton Heston did one; Roger Moore did one...George C. Scott...Larry Hagman.

I am firmly in the Jeremy Brett camp. Brett is a solid stage actor who finally gave us all one could ask.

Anyway as for B-movie series I can't claim very much familiarity with movie series. They never came my way often much...I'd like to put in a vote for Monogram's "Bomba" though.

Bomba the Jungle Boy! Better than Tarzan "iffen yew ask" me. Its more exciting to see a lad surviving the jungle than a full-grown athlete.

bomba01h3.jpg

• Like 1

Another B-film series I like-- the Hildegarde Withers mysteries from RKO with Edna May Oliver. 

They're great fun to watch. There were a few more without her, where Helen Broderick and ZaSu Pitts had taken over the role. But the ones with Oliver are best.

screen-shot-2018-12-09-at-10-02-05-am.jp

59 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

That's James Gleason alongside her, eh?

Yes, he appeared in all six-- three with Oliver, one with Broderick, and two with Pitts.

He's always great; whether in a newsroom ('hard-bitten city-editor') or in a squad room ('hard-bitten police lieutenant') 

2 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

He's always great; whether in a newsroom ('hard-bitten city-editor') or in a squad room ('hard-bitten police lieutenant') 

He did seem to have that "hard bitten" quality. LOL

there's another Irish actor I lump in with Gleason (if you don't mind me taking a moment aside to ruminate). Big tall mick with a thick shock of iron gray hair and a lantern jaw. Trying to recall the name...

In the late 20s and early 30s Gleason worked as a screenwriter in Hollywood. But that part of his career was eclipsed by his success as a character actor.

• Like 1

That's a fun fact for sure. Y'know who also has an interesting background for an otherwise innocuous character actor? Charles Bickford

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

That's a fun fact for sure. Y'know who also has an interesting background for an otherwise innocuous character actor? Charles Bickford

Yes, very interesting background. Seems like he grew up fast and didn't have a 'normal' childhood. He was certainly a great actor.

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

In the late 20s and early 30s Gleason worked as a screenwriter in Hollywood. But that part of his career was eclipsed by his success as a character actor.

Gleason was married to Lucille Webster Gleason, a great character actress, who played Big Tess in Klondike Annie with Mae West.

214176_2.jpg

• Like 1

Speaking of the Gleasons and B-film series, James Gleason and Lucile Gleason played husband and wife in the Higgins Family comedy series for Republic. They made seven of these pictures from 1938 to 1940. Their son Russell Gleason, who died in 1945, appeared as their son on screen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgins_Family

Any opinions on Lloyd Nolan in the Michael Shayne detective series? Anyone?