Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Films with great casts that nobody's seen


TopBilled
 Share

Recommended Posts

I was reading up on USED PEOPLE (1992). I don't think anyone's seen it. It's certainly not discussed anywhere. It was a modestly budgeted film that barely broke even at the box office.

Look at who's in the cast: Jessica Tandy, Kathy Bates, Marcello Mastroianni, Shirley MacLaine, Marcia Gay Harden, Sylvia Sidney...oh and Doris Roberts too.

Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 12.37.09 PM.jpg

What's your favorite movie with a great cast that seems to be overlooked...?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've seen it..... Anyway, that is a tricky question at hand, a favorite one of these types of films.Most presumably would be from the 70s-90s because earlier star-studded efforts are likely to be seen on TCM and thus more talked about.  Thus, I'll focus on those  decades.

I know Miss Firecracker from 1989 was a charming little film, barely released, that had plenty of talent in its cast. Also The Cemetery Club from 1993. The January Man from 1989 didn't completely work, but it still was pretty good thanks to a fantastic cast. Nuts from 1987 was strong too. Others include Stepping Out (1991), Soapdish (1991), New York Stories (1989), The Seduction of Joe Tynan (1979), The Mirror Crack'd (1980), A Show of Force (1990), Max Dugan Returns (1983)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first movie that came to mind is "The Grass Harp".  I would guess that  very few people have even heard of it.  And look at the cast--Piper Laurie, Jack Lemmon, Sissy Spacek, and Walther Matthau.  Great performances, a wonderful music score, and great story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Terrence1 said:

The first movie that came to mind is "The Grass Harp".  I would guess that  very few people have even heard of it.  And look at the cast--Piper Laurie, Jack Lemmon, Sissy Spacek, and Walther Matthau.  Great performances, a wonderful music score, and great story.

Isn't Nell Carter in it too? Another great performer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

I've seen it..... Anyway, that is a tricky question at hand, a favorite one of these types of films.Most presumably would be from the 70s-90s because earlier star-studded efforts are likely to be seen on TCM and thus more talked about.  Thus, I'll focus on those  decades.

I know Miss Firecracker from 1989 was a charming little film, barely released, that had plenty of talent in its cast. Also The Cemetery Club from 1993. The January Man from 1989 didn't completely work, but it still was pretty good thanks to a fantastic cast. Nuts from 1987 was strong too. Others include Stepping Out (1991), Soapdish (1991), New York Stories (1989), The Seduction of Joe Tynan (1979), The Mirror Crack'd (1980), A Show of Force (1990), Max Dugan Returns (1983)

THE SEDUCTION OF JOE TYNAN is one I've been curious about since it features an early performance by Meryl Streep and also has Melvyn Douglas in it. It's a Universal picture which probably explains why TCM never airs it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

THE SEDUCTION OF JOE TYNAN is one I've been curious about since it features an early performance by Meryl Streep and also has Melvyn Douglas in it.

Written by Alan Alda. I've purchased and read a copy of his early draft for the script. It's nice, but a little too tame. Redford's "The Candidate" blows it outta da water.

I love the aging Melvyn Douglas's work in all those twilight-of-his-career assignments. So charming. He's in  'Candidate' too.

Meanwhile, I loathe Meryl Streep. Gag!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

p.s. I know about --though not being able to claim having seen--'Used People'. They don't make too many quiet, serious, adult, tender flicks like that anymore. Luc/Berg shoved all that off the coast and into the Pacific.

It was a nightmare to film. Anything set in Cajun swamps gives prodco people fits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Written by Alan Alda. I've purchased and read a copy of his early draft for the script. It's nice, but a little too tame. Redford's "The Candidate" blows it outta da water.

I love the aging Melvyn Douglas's work in all those twilight-of-his-career assignments. So charming. He's in  'Candidate' too.

Meanwhile, I loathe Meryl Streep. Gag!

Early career Streep is not the same as late career Streep. Somewhere along the way she became a movie star and stopped being an actor.

I'm sure Douglas' participation in THE CANDIDATE led to his involvement in Alda's film. Alda was riding high on the success of M*A*S*H so he could get any film made he wanted to do in the late 70s and early 80s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

THE SEDUCTION OF JOE TYNAN is one I've been curious about since it features an early performance by Meryl Streep and also has Melvyn Douglas in it. It's a Universal picture which probably explains why TCM never airs it.

Streep is very good, but Barbara Harris as the neglected wife steals the whole show. We're talking Oscar-worthy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Streep is very good, but Barbara Harris as the neglected wife steals the whole show. We're talking Oscar-worthy.

Yes, the great underrated Barbara Harris. Why don't more people discuss her performances...I love watching her.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Here's a great cast / sleeper flick:

'Between the Lines'. About running an indie newspaper in Haight-Ashbury.

John Heard     
Lindsay Crouse     
Jeff Goldblum     
Stephen Collins
Bruno Kirby
Michael J. Pollard
Marilu Henner

Never heard of this one...looks interesting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Two Days In The Valley (1996)

The cast includes

Danny Aiello

James Spader

Eric Stoltz

Jeff Daniels

Teri Hatcher

Glenne Headley

Marsha Mason

Paul Mazursky

Charlize Theron

Keith Carradine

Louise Fletcher

 

This was a Tarantino-esque crime film that can stand on it's own. It was not a big hit, rarely on TV and I never met anyone who saw it.

It involves two hit men, one old and weary (Aiello) the other (Spader) a cold blooded psycho. A pair of vice cops, Stoltz is kind hearted and his partner Daniels has an anger problem. They stumble onto a murder. Theron has one of her first roles as Spader's  gun moll. She is stunningly gorgeous and has a knock down, drag out catfight with Hatcher. All the characters end up all connected by the end.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Two Days In The Valley (1996)

The cast includes

Danny Aiello

James Spader

Eric Stoltz

Jeff Daniels

Teri Hatcher

Glenne Headley

Marsha Mason

Paul Mazursky

Charlize Theron

Keith Carradine

Louise Fletcher

This was a Tarantino-esque crime film that can stand on it's own. It was not a big hit, rarely on TV and I never met anyone who saw it.

It involves two hit men, one old and weary (Aiello) the other (Spader) a cold blooded psycho. A pair of vice cops, Stoltz is kind hearted and his partner Daniels has an anger problem. They stumble onto a murder. Theron has one of her first roles as Spader's  gun moll. She is stunningly gorgeous and has a knock down, drag out catfight with Hatcher. All the characters end up all connected by the end.

Sounds like a good one. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A film that didn't stay in theaters very long, but had a good cast, was SAFE PASSAGE (1994). 

Susan Sarandon and Sam Shepard are a middle aged couple getting a divorce when they learn one of their sons was killed in a terrorist attack at a military base. The kids are played by Sean Astin, Robert Sean Leonard and Jesse Lee Soffer. Marcia Gay Harden is on hand as Shepard's new love interest. 

Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 12.42.38 PM.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can recommend a hilarious comedy that is relatively unknown. "Foolin' Around". Gary Busey; Annette O'Toole. Chloris Leachman, Tony Randall, Eddie Albert.

A working-class boy falls for a girl from a wealthy family, and must compete for her with a rich boy who also wants her. Shades of 'The Graduate'.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Health by Robert Altman. Occasionally shown on Fox movie network,  but no vhs or dvd release. Stars Lauren Bacall, Glenda Jackson,  Carol  Burnett, James Garner, Alfre Woodard, Henry Gibson and Dick Cavett.  All in top form and hilarious.  “Feel yourself.”

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've actually seen quite a few of these: Used PeopleThe January ManTwo Days in the Valley, Soapdish and New York Stories. The first two I actually saw in the theater, the rest from Blockbuster, back when that was still a thing. I go to the movies virtually every Saturday and sometimes Sundays, too, so I've seen a LOT of movies.

Maybe some of you would enjoy Twilight, the Paul Newman one, which has nothing to do with the sparkly teenage vampires. It's a pretty good modern noir. An embarrassingly rich supporting cast includes Gene Hackman, Susan Sarandon, James Garner, Liev Schreiber and a very young and spectacularly topless Reese Witherspoon. 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I've actually seen quite a few of these...

I've seen every movie that's been mentioned thus far, with the exception of Convention City. With my amount of movie watching, plus my years working in a video store, I can't really say which movies "nobody's seen", or heard of. I recall most of these renting on a regular basis back in the vid-store days. Health I saw on the Fox movie channel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is hard to say and it is sometimes surprising sometimes not. Elsewhere on the internet, I run polls for movie years. Anyone can vote, the top 50 for each year place. People can vote for up to 20 films. Picked up from another person and have done quite a few. Started in the recent years (2006 done back in May) and headed on back. 1981 was done today. 

But one thing that is surprising are some of the films that either fail to place even in a top 50 due to lack of passion (Prizzi's Honor) or because they are underseen. Some titles of the 80s that I voted for that  failed to get any other votes included SOB, Pennies from Heaven, Cross Creek, Hammett, 84 Charing Cross Road, Madame Sousatzka, Cannery Row, Mrs. Soffel, In Country, Immediate Family, Only When I Laugh, Country, Choose Me, The Stone Boy, Garbo Talks, Ladyhawke, A Chorus Line, Street Smart, Stormy Monday, Moon Over Parador, Cookie, Stand and Deliver, Dead Calm, and the aforementioned Miss Firecracker and New York Stories. 

Now, admittedly, most of those were not box office hits, and some had very mixed reviews, but several had Oscar nominations and that makes them particularly surprising. And some I just thought there would be more love for. I was wrong.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

It is hard to say and it is sometimes surprising sometimes not. Elsewhere on the internet, I run polls for movie years. Anyone can vote, the top 50 for each year place. People can vote for up to 20 films. Picked up from another person and have done quite a few. Started in the recent years (2006 done back in May) and headed on back. 1981 was done today. 

But one thing that is surprising are some of the films that either fail to place even in a top 50 due to lack of passion (Prizzi's Honor) or because they are underseen. Some titles of the 80s that I voted for that  failed to get any other votes included SOB, Pennies from Heaven, Cross Creek, Hammett, 84 Charing Cross Road, Madame Sousatzka, Cannery Row, Mrs. Soffel, In Country, Immediate Family, Only When I Laugh, Country, Choose Me, The Stone Boy, Garbo Talks, Ladyhawke, A Chorus Line, Street Smart, Stormy Monday, Moon Over Parador, Cookie, Stand and Deliver, Dead Calm, and the aforementioned Miss Firecracker and New York Stories. 

Now, admittedly, most of those were not box office hits, and some had very mixed reviews, but several had Oscar nominations and that makes them particularly surprising. And some I just thought there would be more love for. I was wrong.

Underseen is a good word. I think 80s cinema is very misunderstood and continually at a disadvantage. People tend to focus on the high concept blockbusters that came out during the 80s and overlook the quieter, more dramatically effective titles. 

Another thing about the 80s is we had the advent of VHS/VCR's...so home video was bringing old films from the golden age of Hollywood back into the limelight. And the newer stuff was being forced to compete with the classics. If it wasn't a high concept blockbuster with special effects it tended to fall through the cracks.

Then there is the fact we are now these many years into the millennium, and if we go back and pull out one of these underseen gems from the 80s, we are accused of extolling the virtues of something that is not as classic as CASABLANCA or CITIZEN KANE. So 80s cinema can never win.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

What did you think of this one?

Ooh, it's been a long time. I'm struggling to remember much about it. Reading the plot description above stirs a few memories, but not a lot. I mostly remember the Theron-Hatcher fight. Theron was brand-new to me, and I do remember being knocked out by her beauty. It came in a flood of post-Pulp Fiction movies and certainly tried to emulate that vibe, as I recall, but generally, I seem to remember enjoying it. I do like all those actors.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...