Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
papyrusbeetle

GIANT (1956)

One of those movies that you ditch work for and watch downtown in a revival cinema.

MUCH more meaningful if you are a Texan, as I am. Seems mythic, but the whole darned state is as mythic as heck!

Some observations:

>>ONLY proper "accent" was Mercedes McCambridge's. THAT is the way we talk.

>>Visual poetry of this film was stupendous, even in the very first scenes--Rock Hudson, without saying a word (not the proper accent, anyway because he's a yankee) simply embodies the state. He IS Texas.

>>Stupendously perfect "extras", the Texans, at the various social gatherings--barbecue, funeral, etc. They were EXACT.

>>In this film (perhaps the way George Stevens planned it) the MEN are more gorgeous than the women.

Liz Taylor's gorgeous presence is kept in "neutral" by her hair and wardrobe, which does NOTHING for her, and many many shots of her in shadow as she converses with the 2 male stars, bringing the men into a lighted foreground, and leaving her unseen.

Ditto the daughters of Riata (Judy and Luz)--their clothes (and lack of glamour closeups) are blah.

>>ONE woman is glamourized--Juana (Elsa Cardenas).

>>If there is visual poetry on screen, it is simply James Dean in this movie. He is everything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, papyrusbeetle said:

>>In this film (perhaps the way George Stevens planned it) the MEN are more gorgeous than the women.

That's possible. Though all three were at their peak physically during the making of this movie.

I agree there's a lot of greatness to Texas and Texas history. But I think in modern times its a case of reality no longer bearing quite as much resemblance to myth as it used to do.

Last time I looked, (I refer to data which came my way a few months ago) rural Texas suffers some of the worst quality-of-life metrics in the nation. Leads the country in numbers of uninsured citizens; low wages; lowest rate of high school graduates; highest levels of poverty and malnutrition; infant mortality; incarceration. The big cities are apparently doing fine though; and admittedly the cost-of-living is low (aka, owning a house and a yard). But I was saddened to read this disenheartening information, when it first came my way. I'm a fan of the west.

10 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I agree there's a lot of greatness to Texas and Texas history. But I think in modern times its a case of reality no longer bearing quite as much resemblance to myth as it used to do.

Last time I looked, (I refer to data which came my way a few months ago) rural Texas suffers some of the worst quality-of-life metrics in the nation. Leads the country in numbers of uninsured citizens; low wages; lowest rate of high school graduates; highest levels of poverty and malnutrition; infant mortality; incarceration. The big cities are apparently doing fine though; and admittedly the cost-of-living is low (aka, owning a house and a yard). But I was saddened to read this disenheartening information, when it first came my way. I'm a fan of the west.

Please save political rants for the off-topic forum.    (even solid ones like this).

Okay, but the OP (Beetle) first broached the topic about "off-screen" Texas. I merely followed suit. Two opinions on the same topic...

quite true, Sgt. Markoff.

Actually, to SUPPORT the various mythic wonderful unique legendary farms/ranches/spreads, etc., the CITY Texans are taxed massively for their homes and land. That is, if you CONTROL a county, through your friends, relatives, in-laws, etc. you can set YOUR "tax rate" in the basement, and let all those city-dwellers pay for everything, like YOUR school systems, as well as theirs, too.

Great scenes in GIANT as Rock Hudson pow-wows in his home with his various "tame" politicians, judges, etc. This has not changed. The people/families that run the rural counties answer to no one.

But Texas has that extra added something - when you live here, you are part of that myth--there is no escaping it.

• Like 1

I agree with ya. Sounds like a fair assessment of the situation, and it also matches my understanding.

"Texas...is sure hard on women an' dogs, in't it?" :lol:

6120381_f248.jpg

• Thanks 1