Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scarlet Empress

Flamengo

I recently watched for my first time TCM's showing of the Scarlet Empress with Marlene Dietrich.  I was very impressed with the movie.  I was especially impressed with the quality of the film.  In the opening credits it indicated it was from Universal Studio.  I would like to buy a copy, but TCM doesn't show it in it's catalog.  It is available other places from the Criterion Studio from 2001.

Does anyone know if the Criterion version is as well redone as TCM's Universal showing?

As TCM continues to reclaim and refurbish old films, I have become spoiled and don't want to settle for a second rate copy.  I, along with many other people continue to monitor TCM's catalog to find what has been released by them in a pristine copy.

40 minutes ago, Flamengo said:

I recently watched for my first time TCM's showing of the Scarlet Empress with Marlene Dietrich.  I was very impressed with the movie.  I was especially impressed with the quality of the film.  In the opening credits it indicated it was from Universal Studio.  I would like to buy a copy, but TCM doesn't show it in it's catalog.  It is available other places from the Criterion Studio from 2001.

Does anyone know if the Criterion version is as well redone as TCM's Universal showing?

As TCM continues to reclaim and refurbish old films, I have become spoiled and don't want to settle for a second rate copy.  I, along with many other people continue to monitor TCM's catalog to find what has been released by them in a pristine copy.

I have the original solo Criterion DVD release of Scarlet Empress, and the picture is only okay. It was one of their earlier releases, and may have been a transfer from the laserdisc.

However, Criterion released a remastered Blu-ray box set last year of the collaborations between Dietrich and Von Sternberg, and that's likely the copy TCM showed this latest time. If you're a fan of their work, then the price is worth it, but it ain't cheap at $99.96 on the Criterion site. You can currently get it for $62.49 at Barnes and Noble.com during the Criterion sale, which lasts until the end of the month.

WRaM372qp7bdoUc6k9gipnfMVxpZip_original.

• New 2K or 4K digital restorations of all six films, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-rays
  • New interviews with film scholars Janet Bergstrom and Homay King; director Josef von Sternberg’s son, Nicholas; Deutsche Kinemathek curator Silke Ronneburg; and costume designer and historian Deborah Nadoolman Landis
  • New documentary about actor Marlene Dietrich’s German origins, featuring film scholars Gerd Gemünden and Noah Isenberg
  • New documentary on Dietrich’s status as a feminist icon, featuring film scholars Mary Desjardins, Amy Lawrence, and Patricia White
  • The Legionnaire and the Lady, a 1936 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of Morocco, featuring Dietrich and actor Clark Gable
  • New video essay by critics Cristina Álvarez López and Adrian Martin
  • The Fashion Side of Hollywood, a 1935 publicity short featuring Dietrich and costume designer Travis Banton
  • Television interview with Dietrich from 1971
  • PLUS: A book featuring essays by critics Imogen Sara Smith, Gary Giddins, and Farran Smith Nehme
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Flamengo said:

In the opening credits it indicated it was from Universal Studio. 

Technically THE SCARLET EMPRESS is not a Universal film. It's a Paramount film now owned by Universal. Universal bought most of the Paramount library of films up to 1949, originally to show them on television. They have only put the ones featuring the most famous directors and stars on home video. 

At any rate when you see the modern Universal logo play before the film starts that is just indicating Universal controls the rights and has leased it to TCM for a broadcast. I would imagine they've also leased these particular titles where Dietrich collaborated with Von Sternberg to Criterion for the most recent restorations, but still retain the rights.

• Like 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I,_Claudius_(film)

Von Sternberg is interviewed as part of the documentary about the ill-fated production of I CLAUDIUS. It's called 'The Epic That Never Was.'

I believe the documentary is in the public domain and on YouTube. He was retired from movies and teaching at UCLA when he was interviewed in the mid-60s about his involvement in the project (he was the director). He talks about working with Charles Laughton, Flora Robson and Merle Oberon among others. A few of them, who were still living at the time, discuss being directed by him. It's very insightful.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings