Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

money equivalency--help. $10,000 in 1924???

papyrusbeetle

Now I remember. I was trying to figure out whether the smaller US population of the post-bellum period (but before the rise of the great fortunes and gunboat diplomacy which expanded our national debt) enjoyed measurable differences in their household savings. In the end I was frustrated by the whole exercise. Reduced to reckoning what pocket money and personal savings were like by looking at cowboy wages.

A crony's opinion was that even though there was no income tax and no national deficit, people were still worse off fiscally than they are now. In his view, fat-cat capitalists never ruined our nation at all.

you have to look at the whole picture...in 1924, the average new house cost 7,720, sirloin steak was about 40 cents a pound, bread was 9 cents, the average income was 2,196..but as far as fat cats go..since 1978 workers income has increased 11.2 percent, and CEO's has increased 937 percent (in 78, ceo's made about 30 times their worker's salary..now it's 271 times as much)..remember, the term 'trickle down' was first a Will Rogers joke about Hoover's failed economic policies

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings