Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DTV: Free HBO, Showtime, Cinemax & Starz weekend

JeanneCrain

Good weekend of movies, one movie I hadn't seen entitled "Bridget Jones's Diary" 2001 had some very pleasing music - so I bought the movie's soundtrack CD, which can be heard on YouTube.

I discovered songs such as "Killin' Kind" by Shelby Lynne, "Have You Met Miss Jones" & "Not of This Earth" by Robbie Williams and "Someone Like YOU" by Dina Carroll as well as others - all certainly recommended for those who enjoy music to relax to, while visiting here. 😜

Enjoyed the Movie "War Horse" 2011 as well.

I recorded probably about 15 movies out of that weekend.  Not bad, none of it it TCM stuff.

One interesting thing I noticed is that everything in the HBO and HBO affiliate HD feeds was vertically squashed so that people looked just a bit "fat".  Looking into it further, it seems they pad everything they show with horizontal bars, squeezing the picture to what I think might be a 1.85:1 aspect ratio (common for movie theaters).  That is what I think, just because 16:9 (also expressed as 1.78:1) is a common home video aspect ratio.   So if you were to shoehorn the 1.78:1 inside the 1.85:1, and then stretch it out from side to side to match, then it might distort like that.  I still have to verify on an actual video editor, but that is my theory for now anyhow.

Really nice that the aspect ratio of TCM's HD feed is usually exactly right.  Sometimes the picture is too small, but the proportions are almost always exactly right.

Combine that distorted picture with me getting over a cold and taking cold medicine, and missing a yearly Thanksgiving house party with 25 people, it is not really the best combination.    http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

That was a nice gift from DirecTV. The only problem was trying to figure out which movie

to watch when you have about twenty or so different channels to choose from. I saw Meet

the Fockers, The Invasion, Charlie Wilson's War, E.T., Alien:Covenant and a few more. Alien:

Covenant was pretty good, even if a lot of it was just a rehash of the original Alien movie. 

I

4 hours ago, Vautrin said:

That was a nice gift from DirecTV. The only problem was trying to figure out which movie

to watch when you have about twenty or so different channels to choose from. I saw Meet

the Fockers, The Invasion, Charlie Wilson's War, E.T., Alien:Covenant and a few more. Alien:

Covenant was pretty good, even if a lot of it was just a rehash of the original Alien movie. 

I got E.T. when it was first released on VHS in 1988.  Still remember the fanfare about how it's the best anti-pirate copy ever made at the time. The case is a green / black design. I will never part with it.

Collectors-Edition-ET-the-Extra-Terrestr

il_340x270.1211867708_e0tm.jpg?version=0

xIGkerH.jpg

3 hours ago, hamradio said:

I

I got E.T. when it was first released on VHS in 1988.  Still remember the fanfare about how it's the best anti-pirate copy ever made at the time. The case is a green / black design. I will never part with it.

Collectors-Edition-ET-the-Extra-Terrestr

il_340x270.1211867708_e0tm.jpg?version=0

xIGkerH.jpg

Cool. I had never seen E.T. before, believe it or not. While it certainly is entertaining and Spielberg

knows how to push all the buttons it was a little on the thin side for me.

23 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I recorded probably about 15 movies out of that weekend.  Not bad, none of it it TCM stuff.

One interesting thing I noticed is that everything in the HBO and HBO affiliate HD feeds was vertically squashed so that people looked just a bit "fat".  Looking into it further, it seems they pad everything they show with horizontal bars, squeezing the picture to what I think might be a 1.85:1 aspect ratio (common for movie theaters).  That is what I think, just because 16:9 (also expressed as 1.78:1) is a common home video aspect ratio.   So if you were to shoehorn the 1.78:1 inside the 1.85:1, and then stretch it out from side to side to match, then it might distort like that.  I still have to verify on an actual video editor, but that is my theory for now anyhow.

Really nice that the aspect ratio of TCM's HD feed is usually exactly right.  Sometimes the picture is too small, but the proportions are almost always exactly right.

Combine that distorted picture with me getting over a cold and taking cold medicine, and missing a yearly Thanksgiving house party with 25 people, it is not really the best combination.    http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

Okay I went a bit further in my investigation.  My sample movie which HBO played was filmed in 1.85:1 aspect ratio.  Modern HDTV and computer monitors have an aspect ratio of 16:9 (also could be expressed as 1.78:1 to compare to theater aspect ratio), not that far off. 

I cropped out the top and bottom bars from the HBO airing in an editor, leaving just the movie.  It came out to 1918 x 812 pixels (within a 1920 x 1080 frame).  That is really close to a 2.4:1 aspect ratio (for a movie that was filmed at 1.85:1).

Had this been correctly displayed, the video image at 1.85:1 aspect ratio would have been closer to 1920 x 1038 (within the same 1920 x 1080 frame).  Instead, the same thing was shown distorted (not chopped off) at 1920 x 812.  So that is crushing the movie vertically by about 20%. 

No, I wasn't imagining things.  http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-eek.gif

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings