Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What film is this scene from?

SophiaMarcello

Hello, this is my first post here.

I have a memory of a film scene involving Gregory Peck sitting at a table trying to spell the word “mussels “.  I think he’s asking his wife, and a little boy.  It seems to take place in the 1800’s.  Could it be “The Yearling ?  I’m wondering if I’m remembering it incorrectly and it was a different actor.

Thanks for your help!

Someone trying to spell mussel, or muscle in a movie and asking a person, or people around him for help rings a bell.  But the identification remains tantalizingly out of reach.  I believe it relates to Mussel Shoals, and the famous recording studio there. But maybe that's just me free associating.

Thanks.  The man in the scene (could be Gregory Peck) is trying to write something about the shellfish, but can’t spell it and asks a woman.  It’s a rural setting, a cabin of sorts.  I saw The Yearling as a child at a library screening, and thought it was from that film. I might  have mixed up a scene from someplace else.  Maybe a TV program.

Thanks anyway.

11 minutes ago, SophiaMarcello said:

Thanks.  The man in the scene (could be Gregory Peck) is trying to write something about the shellfish, but can’t spell it and asks a woman.  It’s a rural setting, a cabin of sorts.  I saw The Yearling as a child at a library screening, and thought it was from that film. I might  have mixed up a scene from someplace else.  Maybe a TV program.

Thanks anyway.

You should re-watch THE YEARLING to rule it out. And look at Peck's credits on the IMDb so you can see if he did some television movies that might fit your criteria.

It actually sounds like a TV movie from 1975 I watched not long ago on Starz. But Glenn Ford played the lead:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greatest_Gift_(film)

The following is what could be described as off-the-wall speculation: It could be a scene from The Kentuckian with Burt Lancaster. In that movie he finds a pearl in a fresh water mussel and thinks it is valuable, provoking the mirth of more sophisticated townsfolk. I have a vague memory of him writing a letter to the President or someone important to offer the pearl.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thenryb said:

The following is what could be described as off-the-wall speculation: It could be a scene from The Kentuckian with Burt Lancaster. In that movie he finds a pearl in a fresh water mussel and thinks it is valuable, provoking the mirth of more sophisticated townsfolk. I have a vague memory of him writing a letter to the President or someone important to offer the pearl.

That's it.  He was writing to the president.  And was informed by return post that freshwater pearls have no value.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings