Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Little Big Shot - 1935 - Sybil Jason

hamradio

It's airing as part of Glenda Farrell's tribute. Of course, it was a film designed to showcase young Sybil's talents. The first one she did at Warners in the Shirley Temple mold. 

Other entries include: I FOUND STELLA PARISH (1935) with Kay Francis; THE CAPTAIN'S KID (1936) with Guy Kibbee; and THE GREAT O'MALLEY (1937) with Pat O'Brien & Humphrey Bogart.

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

It's airing as part of Glenda Farrell's tribute. Of course, it was a film designed to showcase young Sybil's talents. The first one she did at Warners in the Shirley Temple mold. 

Other entries include: I FOUND STELLA PARISH (1935) with Kay Francis; THE CAPTAIN'S KID (1936) with Guy Kibbee; and THE GREAT O'MALLEY (1937) with Pat O'Brien & Humphrey Bogart.

I like to make comparison between it and "Little Miss Marker" (1934) which Paramount helped make Shirley Temple a 20th Century star (isn't that a riot).  Warner did a lot to HURT Sybil Jason by having too much violence in a film that suppose to center on making a 5 year old (yes she was THAT young) a star which was a turn off to people.  Also kicking that little dog to death didn't help either. :angry:

"Little Miss Marker" was the opposite, a child won over a crime organization that centered on horse race gambling.  Even though there was a threat of bodily harm at the end, not a single shot was fired and made Big Steve feel good about himself.  What a nice ending....I have good blood. :)

20th Century Fox hired the best song writers for Shirley, Sybil was given far less quality material.  I don't blame Sybil for failing but Warner whom blew it big time.

What's that's again about the phrase first impression?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

I like to make comparison between it and "Little Miss Marker" (1934) which Paramount helped make Shirley Temple a 20th Century star (isn't that a riot).  Warner did a lot to HURT Sybil Jason by having too much violence in a film that suppose to center on making a 5 year old (yes she was THAT young) a star which was a turn off to people.  Also kicking that little dog to death didn't help either. :angry:

"Little Miss Marker" was the opposite, a child won over a crime organization that centered on horse race gambling.  Even though there was a threat of bodily harm at the end, not a single shot was fired and made Big Steve feel good about himself.  What a nice ending....I have good blood. :)

20th Century Fox hired the best song writers for Shirley, Sybil was given far less quality material.  I don't blame Sybil for failing but Warner whom blew it big time.

What's that's again about the phrase first impression?

I agree that Little Big Shot was a mess and WB didn't know what type of film they wished to make.  Now I like the gritty parts but then I generally don't like 'cute kid' movies.     This was a cute-kid film that lost its footing and therefore didn't appeal much to any type of movie viewer.

I found Sybil Jason to be a strange but interesting kind of movie star. She was on Facebook, and after TCM aired a bunch of her films one evening I sent a message to her, which I think her assistant read and shared with her. It was easy to "friend" her on Facebook, and other people (classic film fans) had friended her too. 

But I always got the impression that she had a love-hate relationship with the public. She liked the notoriety that came to her as a Warner Brothers contract player and related to this, the way TCM was bringing her new admirers years later. However, she was a private person and also I sensed she didn't like being pigeonholed as a former child star. She had a cabaret act and did live entertaining as long as her health permitted.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

I thought she was pretty good in The Singing Kid with Jolson.

I purchased that privately made DVD-R 2 disc set on Ebay thinking Sybil was the singing kid.  Didn't know the title was referring to Jolson.  The song "I Love To Singa" plus th cartoon satire (Owl Jolson :lol:)  made up for it.

The other DVD is "The Singing Fool"

8 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I found Sybil Jason to be a strange but interesting kind of movie star. She was on Facebook, and after TCM aired a bunch of her films one evening I sent a message to her, which I think her assistant read and forwarded to her. It was easy to "friend" her on Facebook, and other people (classic film fans) had friended her too. 

But I always got the impression that she had a love-hate relationship with the public. She liked the notoriety that came to her as a Warner Brothers contract player and related to this, the way TCM was bringing her new admirers years later. However, she was a private person and also I sensed she didn't like being pigeonholed as a former child star. She had a cabaret act and did live entertaining as long as her health permitted.

She told EVERYTHING in her book including how Humphrey Bogart unzipped his pants, exposing himself to stop the camera.  Director..Cut!!!!

51Cnf4hnpAL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Thanks 1

Just now, hamradio said:

51Cnf4hnpAL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Yeah, that was one of the main reasons she was on Facebook. She was smart enough to know she could use social media to increase the sales of her book and generate additional income.

But her page at that time was kind of like holding court. She was the queen of her domain. You could like her but you had to like her on her terms. So she was a bit different.

Two posters was here on the boards during the late 2000's claiming to be her.  Why I have my doubts it was Sybil, there was only one post for each member name that started the separate threads.  Didn't make sense.

Only remember one of them...goldenasachild. Can't recall the 2nd member name.

Edited by hamradio

16 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Two posters was here on the boards during the late 2000's claiming to be her.  Why I have my doubts it was Sybil, there was only one post for each member name that started the separate threads.  Didn't make sense.

Only remember one of them...goldenasachild. Can't recall the 2nd member name.

I'd forgotten about that. Well it could have been her assistant doing that, as another way for her to stay in touch with people and promote the book. But she seemed to favor using Facebook. 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings