Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shannon

Hollywoods VS. Boxing (you be the judge & submit your own choices please???

Recommended Posts

(PART 1)  (*-always indicates an ACADEY AWARD winner)  Now, to start with virtually al true film buffs,etc are full aware to viscous sport of Professional Boxing-(still my fav. NFL is a runner-up) has by far been covered more than any other sports in cinema history. a lot has to Eddie Muller's fav. genre as film 'noir to begin with. & during HOLLYWOODS GLORIOUS GOLDEN AGE & STUDIO-SYSTEM-(l925-63) Life imitated art, with the gangsters that of course surrounded the sport  After all his pop was a true boxing writer too!)   So below I plan to list as ,many boxing motion pictures as possible-(some lifted from my books) & others off the top of my head.   (SO I CERTAINLY HOPE YOU FELLOW-TCM-TES JOIN-IN WITH SOME I MAY HAVE MISSED, OR YOUR OWN TOP TEN???)  (NOTE: & will of course compare some rue boxing fax)>(JUST HOPE I DON;T GET CUT OFF ONCE AGAIN & HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THOUSANDS OF P)REVIOUS POSTS RECENTL "DELETED" & ALTERED MY HANDLE FROM (Spencer) to just (SHANNON)??  Welp, they did it to me  BIG-TIME & NO FAIR SPORTS FANS

1st of all my personal top ten all-time fav. boxing films>

1st RAGING BULL (l980)-($13m.) was voted the #4th all-time greatest film in AFI's "10th Anniversary Edition" for 2007!)

2. *MILLION DOLLAR BABY (2004)=($100m.)-(like *Clint's Frankie Dunne this superb yet staggering depression pic. I;m not a fan of girls boxing, this sold it on me)-(won him 2 more ACADEMYAWARDS)

3. CINDERELLA MAN (2005) ($65m.) (I dont' care what most critics said, I rate this thee best film with all involved! & only snagged a ridiculous 3 nods?  sheer perfect filmmaking at every level)

4. *ROCKY (l976) ($117m.) (Is there any living person that doesn't yet know about "THE ROCK" here?) (though considered a huge OSCAR upset over both All the President's Men & more-over Network)

5th THE SET-UP (1949 RKO Radio) (The Real Deal of Tank town fighters & brilliantly constructed by *R. Wise & especially Robert Ryan once again!)

6th BODY AND SOUL (l947-UA) (John Garfield looked the pt here & got his 2nd & last OSCAR shot for it as well. He truly was made for Oddetts 1939 Golden Boy over *Holden=-(I like *Bill a lot, but Garfield played it on the stage, where is *Wiliam was barely 21 in it?)

7th THE HARDER THEY FALL (l956) (all know this was the legendary *Bogie's grand finale here, *Steiger yrs later said he kept leaving for tests, but never complained. All in all a very strong picture (***1/2)

8th REQUEIM FOR A HEAVYWEIGHTS (l962) (Now I once back in mid '80's accidentally caught Rod Serling first version on tv, a tv kinescope with *J. Palance, Ed & Keenan Wynn. it';s terrific & had a happy ending this time out. This has the edge as most know anyhow & all also know of *Quinn's superb characterization here, but both "The Great 0ne: Jackie Gleason & Mickey Rooney also had strong roles. especially Jackie!))

9th CHAMPION (l949-UA) (I hate to say it, but one must give the devil his due in regard to K. Douglas here!? He & Arthur Kennedy scored acting shots & like many boxing flix it won Film editing)

10th THE CHAMP (l932-M-G-M) (*Wally Beery took home his only ACADEMY AWARD for this classic but some true to fax trivia: under the AMPAS rules of the Day, Best actor winners were officially a tie & *F. March in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" was one vote ahead of *Beery, but it was considered an actual TIE? (READ UP ON IT, ESPECIALLY IN MY A #1 OVERALL OSCAR BIBLE BY Mr. OSBORNE "85yrs of the OSCAR")

& 11th FAT CITY (l972) (*John Huston did this one & again, very sad stuff!)

& Like fellow TCM-ITE below me & sole moviebuff that has even replied to date? I also must include THE QUIET MAN (l952-Republic) Though it only briefly has 1 scene in the boxing ring, many books have been written & somewhat dirty in regard to Maureen 0'Hara-(always the perfect on-screen mate for *JW about it-(longer story, not fit for here though) It did contain one of HOLLYWOODS overall & longest fight scenes between him & then 66yr old & true fmr boxer *V. McLaglen. Of whom truly fought for the world heavyweight championship vs then champ: Jack Johnson-(l878-l946) Johnson won though & was much smaller at about 6'0 & 190lbs But, *Victor, then approx 6'3 & 1/2 & 225lbs was musclebound, like others including Primo Carnera,etc of whom in 1933 got demolished by Max Baer-(l909-59)

 

 

& please fill in the pothers SPORTS-FANS???"

Because I still got a million or maybe a hundred of them

 

 

THANK YOU!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

see anything on the net thesedays & even official books-(especially NATALIE'S by SusanFinsted) & then Robert Downey, Jr. on stage really kicked the dirt up about that horrific incident   & can you believe he later bought a house on her exact rd (603 Canon, drive inB. Hills)  as if stalking here! ^& in recent years even more has come to ight about this man, regarding a 1949 strangling by hands murder of B-movie actress JEAN SPANGLER at THE GRIFFITH PARK ZOO She can briefly be glimpsed in a couple early pix of his. & 3was even reported to be pregnant at the time of her never solved murder. Police brought him in for questioning, but the DA let him go.  Case was never solved & again, basically only ultimate conspiracy I;ve always believed in was of course Nov. 22nd, 1963 in Dallas & JFK. I detest gossip, onlyth4ere is jus to  much evidence no matter how old it is-(ALSO JUST UNCH HER NAME IN VIRTUALLY ANYWARE ONTHE INTERNET, NOWHERE NEAR AS FAMOUS AS IN 1954 & NATASHA"s TGHOUGH> YOU CAN'T SEARCHFOR HER NAME & IN VALID BOOKS NOWADAYS TOO, UNLESS THIS POPS UP.  WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO KARMA BY THE WAY??? & I used to like him as an actor too

 

IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME & I LOATH IDLE GOSSIPP, CHECK ANYTHING OUT & DO YOUR OWN THINKIN'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My personal faves:

  • Gentleman Jim
  • Raging Bull
  • Rocky, Rocky II
  • When We Were Kings
  • Fat City
  • Requiem for a Heavyweight
  • The All-American Boy
  • The Champ (both versions)
  • The Set-Up

one not mentioned in this thread so far:

  • They Made me a Criminal

Worth noting

  • The Quiet Man
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

My personal faves:

  • Gentleman Jim
  • Raging Bull
  • Rocky, Rocky II
  • When We Were Kings
  • Fat City
  • Requiem for a Heavyweight
  • The All-American Boy
  • The Champ (both versions)
  • The Set-Up

one not mentioned in this thread so far:

  • They Made me a Criminal

Worth noting

  • The Quiet Man

thanks for your inout  I shoulda listed this topic as AK IN PROGRESS though

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

My personal faves:

  • Gentleman Jim (My own 0 to 4 star rating! Hope you don't mind (***1/2-out of four stars) & Ward Bond who appeared in over 250 pix, deserved a s. actor nomination as John L. Sullivan-(l858-l9l8)& 4specially for the role of his short 57yrs 1956's THE SEARCHERS too!?)
  • Raging Bull
  • Rocky, Rocky II
  • When We Were Kings-(4 stars!) & *Oscar winning documentary)  &  another terrific choice pal. & I'd go further I'd maybe even want to own this one on DVD too.
  • I THINK I MAY HAVE AN ULTIMATE COUP ON YOUR FANS  I WAS GIVEN AS A C'MAS GIFT ABOUT A DECADE AGO OR MORE,  THE FAMED MARCIANO VS. ALI COMPUTER MATCH FROM 1969 JUST BEFORE EVEN FINISHING "THE ROCK": WAS KILLED IN THAT SMNALL PLANE CRASH. IT'S ON 2 discs on DVD. A COUPLE DEBTS THOUGH, THE RING IS WAY TOO SMALL, ROCKY HAS A BIT OF A BEER BELLY BE THEN & HE WAS WEARING A TOUPEE THROUGH THEIR MATCH, PLUS YOU CAN HEAR ALL THECHES, LIKE SMACKS?ANYWAY, I THOUGHT THE ENTIRE THING WOULD BE COMOUTERIZED, NOPE, THEY WORKED OUT ALL THE SHOTS,etc NOW, IN ENGLAND ALI WON, BUT IN THE U.S. VERSION "THE ROCK" WINS. STILL "A MUST HAVE!")
  • Fat City
  • Requiem for a Heavyweight
  • The All-American Boy-(don';t know this one, who starred & when?)
  • The Champ (both versions)-(all know about the immensely polar *berry, Jackie cooper Best actor winning drama from Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer) but I've always thought the 1979 version was fine too (***)
  • The Set-Up-(On a personal note on all (3) vacations to whats left of HOLLYWOOD, I got to stay at exact same motel at 777N. Vine & a stone's throw away from old RKO's side & Paramount)

one not mentioned in this thread so far:

  • They Made me a Criminal-(**1/2) seen it many tim4es since I was a kid, as I've often written & most docu's on Garfield he was made to also portray 1939's GOLDEN BOY-9though I like *Holden a lot, he was miscast for once? & Leonard Maltin always insisted Rains was miscast in support, probably Pat 0'Brien woulda' been more suited to that role)

Worth noting

  • The Quiet Man-(4 MASSIVE STARS!) & wap4ecially cool including this St. Pat's Day favorite, but perfecto for anytime of course! & EVEN RANKS AMONG MY OVERALL TOPO TEN DVD TIME CAPSULE CANDICATES! It doesn;t hurt either to be a fellow IRISHMEN (P.S. Next time you see it, listen for these old railroad men late in it, arguing over THE RIVER SHANNON-(my last name)  & by far the largest river in all of IRELAND!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

My personal faves:

  • Gentleman Jim
  • Raging Bull
  • Rocky, Rocky II
  • When We Were Kings
  • Fat City
  • Requiem for a Heavyweight
  • The All-American Boy
  • The Champ (both versions)
  • The Set-Up

one not mentioned in this thread so far:

  • They Made me a Criminal

Worth noting

  • The Quiet Man

By the way in My Own "ALTERNATE OSCAR CHOICES" I chose Donlevy in Beau Geste as Best Supporting Actor for that legendary cinematic year of 1939! His sole shot too. Official winner of course was the great, great character actor *Thomas Mitchell in Stagecoach, it didn't hurt that Mitchell was in (3) other heavyweight releases that pivotal year though My own favorite work by *T. Michell-(l892-l962) is in *Ford's superb 1940 Adventure LONG VOYAGE HOME (UA) though if you pay attention he has most screen time & not a 33yr old *DUKE WAYNE (TRIVIA: Eugene 0'Neil loved that adaptation more then any others of his, he owned a copy himself)

 

& TO ALL OTHERS PLEASE TRY & THROW IN THE TOWEL-(obviously a boxing term, with your own favs???)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, maybe not a "hard-hitting" or "true" boxing film here, but I have to say I really enjoyed once again watching Here Come Mr. Jordan on TCM the other night...

HCMJ2lrg._V46951204_.jpg

(...and seein' as how nobody else has mentioned this one yet)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"the All-American Boy" is a fine little small-scale boxing drama set in the American midwest.

A young Jon Voight plays a hometown son who is grappling with the course his life should take. Everyone in his family and in his birthplace, expects him to be a champion boxer, but rather than do so he lives the life of a hobo. The love interest in this story is his high school sweetheart, gorgeous Anne Archer. Early 70s.

Voight's version of 'The Champ'--I like it (even though I dislike Ricky Schroeder). But Voight trained accurately and energetically for that role. His technical advisors were very impressed with his natural athletic ability. An old school tear -JERKER.

I'm a big fan of Jon Voight and feel is is often unfairly overshadowed (along with James Caan) by the likes of Pacino, Nicholson, and DeNiro.

p.s. agree that William Holden was mis-cast in is 'Golden Boy'. (I actually dislike the whole story. A boxer ...and a violinist?!?)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Okay, maybe not a "hard-hitting" or "true" boxing film here, but I have to say I really enjoyed once again watching Here Come Mr. Jordan on TCM the other night...

HCMJ2lrg._V46951204_.jpg

(...and seein' as how nobody else has mentioned this one yet)

ALRIGHT DARGO! another good in put, but is it a Fantasy or Fight Film?  Like *Warren Beatty's wonderful-(to me since I was a kid) 1978 HEAVEN CAN WAIT  is that a Fantasy or a Football flick?  (NOTE: To all others in case you don't know yet & don't get confused 1943's Fantasy HEAVEN CAN WAIT w/*Don Ameche-(GEE, I only got to see his chair on my 8hrs on the 1984-(summer) COCOON set unfortunately, he & Brimley & Cronyn were shooting elsewhere that day GO-FIGURE! But I was still studying history of cinema & wasn't yet familiar with *Ameche & didn't know why all the elderly ladies in St. Pete were going crazy just to be able to see him  & he won his sole nod & the *Oscar for s. actor fir it, at 77. He always said he expected Klaus Maria Branduar to win instead for the yrs 7 time sweeping *OUT OF ARFICA though.  At any rate in a strong year of 1941 it won 2 writing statuettes. & also, no internet was around in '78/79 or many movie mags yet either, but most that did predict were certain *Warren's version would sweep. All told his version only took home Best Art-Direction though, it was the year of Vietnam at the OSCRS between 5 time sweeper *THE DEER HUNTER & 3 time winning COMING HOME instead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, shannon said:

ALRIGHT DARGO! another good in put, but is it a Fantasy or Fight Film?  Like *Warren Beatty's wonderful-(to me since I was a kid) 1978 HEAVEN CAN WAIT  is that a Fantasy or a Football flick?  (NOTE: To all others in case you don't know yet & don't get confused 1943's Fantasy HEAVEN CAN WAIT w/*Don Ameche-(GEE, I only got to see his chair on my 8hrs on the 1984-(summer) COCOON set unfortunately, he & Brimley & Cronyn were shooting elsewhere that day GO-FIGURE! But I was still studying history of cinema & wasn't yet familiar with *Ameche & didn't know why all the elderly ladies in St. Pete were going crazy just to be able to see him  & he won his sole nod & the *Oscar for s. actor fir it, at 77. He always said he expected Klaus Maria Branduar to win instead for the yrs 7 time sweeping *OUT OF ARFICA though.  At any rate in a strong year of 1941 it won 2 writing statuettes. & also, no internet was around in '78/79 or many movie mags yet either, but most that did predict were certain *Warren's version would sweep. All told his version only took home Best Art-Direction though, it was the year of Vietnam at the OSCRS between 5 time sweeper *THE DEER HUNTER & 3 time winning COMING HOME instead

So in that case shannon, did you ever discover the reason for a while in the '40s and '50s there was a popular joke of calling a telephone "The Ameche"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

"the All-American Boy" is a fine little small-scale boxing drama set in the American midwest.

A young Jon Voight plays a hometown son who is grappling with the course his life should take. Everyone in his family and in his birthplace, expects him to be a champion boxer, but rather than do so he lives the life of a hobo. The love interest in this story is his high school sweetheart, gorgeous Anne Archer. Early 70s.

Voight's version of 'The Champ'--I like it (even though I dislike Ricky Schroeder). But Voight trained accurately and energetically for that role. His technical advisors were very impressed with his natural athletic ability. An old school tear -JERKER.

I'm a big fan of Jon Voight and feel is is often unfairly overshadowed (along with James Caan) by the likes of Pacino, Nicholson, and DeNiro.

p.s. agree that William Holden was mis-cast in is 'Golden Boy'. (I actually dislike the whole story. A boxer ...and a violinist?!?)

I recall The All-American Boy & is pretty good (**1/2) *Oscar winning Jon Voight (l938-) is current terrific on a terrific tv series on Showtime RAY DONOVAN. & I don't like many current tv shows myself. Besides COMING HOM$E his was utterly brilliant & almost unrecognizable in '85's great Adventure RUNAWAY TRAIN-(another nod) & that brings us back to HOLLYWOOD VS. BOXING to date he's snagged his 4th nomination for s. actor this time as Howard Cosell in 2001's ALI ($58m.)

 

 

TO ALL KEEP'M COMIN & AS I PREVIOUSLY SAID, I ONLY SCRATCHED THE SURFACE ON BOXING/CINEMA!  I gotta' be honest you folks got me a wee bit inspired by not only adding stuff, but reminding me of other Boxing flix too!  THANX

 

(FINAL NOTE FOR HERE: Where is Jakeem, TopBilled & LawrenceA???)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Okay, maybe not a "hard-hitting" or "true" boxing film here, but I have to say I really enjoyed once again watching Here Come Mr. Jordan on TCM the other night...

HCMJ2lrg._V46951204_.jpg

(...and seein' as how nobody else has mentioned this one yet)

(TRIVIA TO NOT ONLY DARGO BUT ANY OTHERS & WITHOIUT LOOKING IT UP SPORTS FANS, PLEASE: What was R. Montgomery's only other nomination?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, shannon said:

(TRIVIA TO NOT ONLY DARGO BUT ANY OTHERS & WITHOIUT LOOKING IT UP SPORTS FANS, PLEASE: What was R. Montgomery's only other nomination?)

Night Must Fall.    That one is a no-brainier (and I assume you get the joke). 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Night Must Fall.    That one is a no-brainier (and I assume you get the joke). 

 

Knew it would be to easy   But I must pose the question, did Montgomery deserve that 1937 nomination? Especially when the official contenders were>

*Spencer Tracy in Captains Courageous=-(most pundits were easily forecasting previous winner *Muni for Zola to be the first to win 2nd consecutive Best Actor victories though &not *Spence the following year for Boys Town-(A RECORD IN THE CATEGORY LASTING 56yrs UNTIL TOM HANKS tied it in 1993 & 1994 respectively)

Paul Muni in Life of Emile Zola(did win NY Film Critics award)

Charles Boyer in Conquest

Fredric March in A Star is Born

& Montgomery in Night Must Fall

 

(SIN OF OMISSON)> Cary Grant in Awful Truth but he was always taken for granted by his peers???

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, shannon said:

Knew it would be to easy   But I must pose the question, did Montgomery deserve that 1937 nomination? Especially when the official contenders were>

*Spencer Tracy in Captains Courageous=-(most pundits were easily forecasting previous winner *Muni for Zola to be the first to win 2nd consecutive Best Actor victories though &not *Spence the following year for Boys Town-(A RECORD IN THE CATEGORY LASTING 56yrs UNTIL TOM HANKS tied it in 1993 & 1994 respectively)

Paul Muni in Life of Emile Zola(did win NY Film Critics award)

Charles Boyer in Conquest

Fredric March in A Star is Born

& Montgomery in Night Must Fall

 

(SIN OF OMISSON)> Cary Grant in Awful Truth but he was always taken for granted by his peers???

 

 

Montgomery played a much different type of character than he had previously and that always get more attention by academy members so to me the nomination was justified.  Note that Spencer Tracy also played an 'outside' type character and that lead to him winning.   

As for Muni;  Yea,  playing an historical figure always gives an actor a 'leg-up' on the competition but to me the Tracy performance was a winner.    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When did spence become shannon?

 

When he once again F-ed up his account while trying to do something with his smart phone

 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love sports movies and boxing is my personal favorite! 

Gentleman Jim.  Errol Flynn shirtless, in water, shirtless in water, tight pants, in a tuxedo, no mustache... oh and the boxing is great too! 

The Sisters.  Another Errol movie, this time he's a sports reporter.  While this movie isn't primarily about boxing, I like the boxing scenes in the film.  It's funny when women are portrayed as being too weak to handle the violence--Bette Davis faints during the match (though of course, she had "a condition").  I would be more like Mayo Methot in this film. 

Cinderella Man.  It's been awhile since I've seen this film, but I remembered liking it.

City For Conquest.  I also remembered liking this film, though at this moment I can't remember any particulars.  Maybe a boxing movie marathon is needed.

Here Comes Mr. Jordan.  I'll second the vote for this film, this is a great one. 

From Here to Eternity. Not a boxing movie persay, but the boxing scenes are fun, even if it is apparent that Montgomery Clift was doubled in some scenes.

City Lights.  I love Charlie Chaplin's boxing scene. 

The Set-Up.  This was a great, short noir.  Robert Ryan is a great actor.

---

Boxing movies I want to see:

The Personality Kid.  I want to see this after Lorna's great review!

Body and Soul, the John Garfield one.

Prizefighter and the Lady

The Quiet Man, not sure if this is really a boxing movie, but it's listed as one in Wikipedia.

99 River Street

The Harder They Fall.  I think I've seen this before, but I really cannot remember it.

The Champ (1931)

---

Boxing movie I did not like:

Golden Boy.  Despite my love of William Holden and Barbara Stanwyck, Lee J. Cobb ruined this movie for me.  Why the filmmakers couldn't cast an actual middle-aged man to play Holden's father doesn't make any sense.  Cobb usually annoys me in his films, except in the rare cases where his scenery-chewing works in the film.  In this film, Cobb chews the scenery so much, he chokes on it.  Holden is understandably awkward, seeing that it's his first big film.  I wouldn't have even known it was him if I didn't know.  Stanwyck is great as usual.  The best thing about this film is the backstory about Holden and Stanwyck developing a close friendship.  If they'd only waited like 10 years, Tony Curtis would have been great in this film--and maybe Cobb would have possibly been old enough (or at least more convincing) to play the father of an adult. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...