Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shannon

Hollywoods VS. Boxing (you be the judge & submit your own choices please???

12 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

John Payne is just an ex-boxer, no boxing scenes at all.

Oh okay.  Good to know! Thanks.

6 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Montgomery played a much different type of character than he had previously and that always get more attention by academy members so to me the nomination was justified.  Note that Spencer Tracy also played an 'outside' type character and that lead to him winning.   

As for Muni;  Yea,  playing an historical figure always gives an actor a 'leg-up' on the competition but to me the Tracy performance was a winner.    

100% but he though the was making a darn fool of himself when portraying Manuel Fedillo, especially after *Joan Crawford saw him on the then 200 acre lot of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer & quipped "Oh My God, It's Harpo Marx' unquote

Ryan O'Neal was supposedly a talented boxer in his private life. He made 'The Main Event' with Streisand although I can not recommend the flick as anything very worthwhile. Ryan O'Neal married to Leigh Taylor-Young, I learned today.

And then of course there's the infamous Tom Neal and Robert Ryan.

On 11/27/2018 at 1:44 PM, Sgt_Markoff said:

My personal faves:

• Gentleman Jim
  • Raging Bull
  • Rocky, Rocky II
  • When We Were Kings
  • Fat City
  • Requiem for a Heavyweight
  • The All-American Boy
  • The Champ (both versions)
  • The Set-Up

one not mentioned in this thread so far:

• They Made me a Criminal

Worth noting

• The Quiet Man

I'm a big fan of Gentleman Jim, too, despite its glaring historical inaccuracies. As a light hearted turn-of-the-century affair Raoul Walsh brings an addictive energy to the production and the cast, in particular Flynn and Bond, appear to be having a great time in their roles. The fight on the barge, with Jim Corbett at one point knocked into San Francisco Bay and spitting a stream of water out of his mouth as he is pulled by rope back into the ring to the cry of "Paging Mr. Corbett", is a rousing, kinetic set piece, Walsh at his peak as a director, I feel.

tumblr_nmqdvraVmC1txum4do1_r1_1280.jpg

I question the inclusion of When We Were Kings, though, on your list, Sarge. It's a documentary (a damn fine one, but still a documentary), while the others are conventional film productions, most of them of a fictional nature.

Are boxing documentaries to be included here, as well? If that is the case I would include Ken Burns' impressive Unforgiveable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson.