Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rare showing of THE FUZZY PINK NIGHTGOWN (1957) on TCM


TopBilled
 Share

Recommended Posts

screen-shot-2018-11-27-at-6-17-49-am.jpg

File it under "so bad it's good" and "something to record" because it's scheduled for 4:15 a.m. on the 28th (technically the 29th) of November. You have to see it to believe it.

It's what I call a career wrecker. When you make something this bad your movie career can only do one thing-- go into sharp decline. And what a shame too, because I think the original idea was workable, and she has a great supporting cast.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/17125/The-Fuzzy-Pink-Nightgown/articles.html

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:19 AM, TopBilled said:

screen-shot-2018-11-27-at-6-17-49-am.jpg

 

File it under "so bad it's good" and "something to record" because it's scheduled for 4:15 a.m. on the 28th (technically the 29th) of November. You have to see it to believe it.

It's what I call a career wrecker. When you make something this bad your movie career can only do one thing-- go into sharp decline. And what a shame too, because I think the original idea was workable, and she has a great supporting cast.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/17125/The-Fuzzy-Pink-Nightgown/articles.html

Thanks for the heads-up and the link. I liked reading that Jane herself assessed the problem as being that she wanted to do it fairly seriously and the director wanted to punch up the comedy, which seems pretty astute of her. Jane had a head on her shoulders (as well as the other assets mentioned above) and could freely admit to having done some stinkers, which I really liked about her. She's very near the top of my personal pantheon of favorites and I'll watch her in anything, even this. She was right that one of the major problems with the movie was that of tone. 

I was excited when I read the mention of Run for the Sun (1956) as being one of the films her production company had done because I'd never even heard of it. Could it be there was a Jane Russell movie I didn't know about after all these years? Turns out no; it was a Russ-Field production, but no Jane. 

I loved her delivery. She could put an ironic spin on dialogue like the best of them. She played feminine women who insisted on a man's perogatives, which I think made her a very "modern" actress before the time of feminism.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Could be, never seen it. It just may tip Noir :D

 

Now why don't they show Promises..... Promises! (1963) another great supporting cast in that one too....

The dvd cover was more promising than what was contained in the film. I think there was a photo spread though in Playboy at the time which was more revealing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, rayban said:

Jayne Mansfield's naked breasts were the first ever from a major movie star.

(Although her reign as a major movie star was a short one.)

MV5BYmY0NWYzZTMtOTQ2YS00MzdhLTgxNjctMzMy

The Ghost of the Hayes Code Past devised quite a noirish end for her and her little dog too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I recorded it. I'll watch it this wknd. (Nightgown). I remember all the publicity over Promises, Promises and it playing at the local "art" theater. A few years later, Promises, Promises meant a big Broadway Burt B. musical/hit song and the movie became a forgotten footnote in movie history......

 

The film would probably get a PG-13 rating today.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

I recorded it. I'll watch it this wknd. (Nightgown). I remember all the publicity over Promises, Promises and it playing at the local "art" theater. A few years later, Promises, Promises meant a big Broadway Burt B. musical/hit song and the movie became a forgotten footnote in movie history......

 

The film would probably get a PG-13 rating today.

Jane Russell went on "What's My Line?" to promote it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, rayban said:

Jayne Mansfield's naked breasts were the first ever from a major movie star.

(Although her reign as a major movie star was a short one.)

MV5BYmY0NWYzZTMtOTQ2YS00MzdhLTgxNjctMzMy

 

I dont think she was EVER a major star. She starred in a few good films in the 50s. She managed to keep her career going by being a publicity hound. This film was a perfect example.

Jayne made a really bad career decision by turning down the role of Ginger in Gilligan's Island feeling doing tv would damage her career. WHAT career? Instead she did junk like Las Vegas Hillbillies or whatever it was. The part was perfect for her and would've kept her career going and made her a lot of money.........

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Missed it.  Didn't see the post until the 29th.

On 11/27/2018 at 8:19 AM, TopBilled said:

screen-shot-2018-11-27-at-6-17-49-am.jpg

 

File it under "so bad it's good" and "something to record" because it's scheduled for 4:15 a.m. on the 28th (technically the 29th) of November. You have to see it to believe it.

It's what I call a career wrecker. When you make something this bad your movie career can only do one thing-- go into sharp decline. And what a shame too, because I think the original idea was workable, and she has a great supporting cast.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/17125/The-Fuzzy-Pink-Nightgown/articles.html

Missed it.  Did not see the post until the 29th.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...