Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Herky Jerky movement in Charade (1963)

slaytonf

I didn't see this airing.  Was this on Cable by any chance?

On another thought, the recent airing of Pink Nightgown had something going on that sort of matched that description, on Directv nonetheless.  The whole thing was flickering throughout, sort of like a filming of a film playing.  Does this sound like what you saw?  If you want, I can upload a sample.

6 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

On another thought, the recent airing of Pink Nightgown had something going on that sort of matched that description, on Directv nonetheless.  The whole thing was flickering throughout, sort of like a filming of a film playing.  Does this sound like what you saw?  If you want, I can upload a sample.

My TV service is Directv.  So I guess it was them, not TCM.  I wouldn't say it was flickering.  Just jumping forward.  

41 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

My TV service is Directv.  So I guess it was them, not TCM.  I wouldn't say it was flickering.  Just jumping forward.  

Gee, I hope not.  Well if it was Directv, it is confined to such an odd sampling of movies that I have never actually noticed it before.  And yes I do spot-check movies I have recorded, even if I don't watch them right away.  TCM usually comes across clean on Directv for me.  So I still think it is just those movies (on top of that I think it sounds like we saw two different things happen). Unless you actually see some sort of trend starting to develop here.

9 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I also recorded Pink Nightgown from cable and it does have a slight light-dark flickering going on.

Not sure this adds much, but the version of Charade currently on Watch TCM seems to look OK.  (Sorry, I didn't happen to catch it live, so I don't know what that looked like on my cable system last night.)

I've seen some other presentations in the past that have been really bad, notably Danger Route which was shown back in October.  If the image in the scene is static it looks OK, but once there is any motion the flicker is terrible.  I slowed down the recording playback, and you can see that previous frames are being shown intermixed with the new frames, thus the jumpiness at regular speed.  Danger Route was a premiere that evening, so I chalked it up to another bad acquisition for TCM.  (The interstitial material before and after the movie looked OK, so I'm starting to worry about the sources for some of these premieres.)

I would hope that the presentation of a standard classic like Charade would be consistently good, but I guess you can never tell when a random malfunction might occur.

On 11/29/2018 at 7:20 PM, slaytonf said:

It's as if half the frames have been deleted.  It's quite disconcerting.  And takes away a considerable amount of the enjoyment of watching it.

While I didn't watch it this time, I know what you mean here, slayton.

Or put another way...

♪♪When your TV does that

It's never fun to watch it

Scenes jumps around

Up and then down

Just like a strange Charade ♪♪

(...so what did Mancini and Mercer have that I don't have, right?!)

53 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

I also recorded Pink Nightgown from cable and it does have a slight light-dark flickering going on.

Not sure this adds much, but the version of Charade currently on Watch TCM seems to look OK.  (Sorry, I didn't happen to catch it live, so I don't know what that looked like on my cable system last night.)

I've seen some other presentations in the past that have been really bad, notably Danger Route which was shown back in October.  If the image in the scene is static it looks OK, but once there is any motion the flicker is terrible.  I slowed down the recording playback, and you can see that previous frames are being shown intermixed with the new frames, thus the jumpiness at regular speed.  Danger Route was a premiere that evening, so I chalked it up to another bad acquisition for TCM.  (The interstitial material before and after the movie looked OK, so I'm starting to worry about the sources for some of these premieres.)

I would hope that the presentation of a standard classic like Charade would be consistently good, but I guess you can never tell when a random malfunction might occur.

That sounds like exactly what I was seeing.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings