Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Cast Of 12 Angry Men In Other Films


Det Jim McLeod
 Share

Recommended Posts

Watching the film again last night made me think of all the great actors and other films they appeared in. Choose one of their other films for each actor, the film you think is best. Here's what I think:

1. Martin Balsam-The Taking Of Pelham One Two Three

2. John Fiedler-A Raisin In The Sun

3. Lee J Cobb-On The Waterfront

4. E G Marshall-The Caine Mutiny

5. Jack Klugman-Cry Terror (a rare bad guy role)

6. Edward Binns- Patton (a hard one, I saw more of his TV appearances than his films)

7. Jack Warden-The Verdict

8. Henry Fonda-The Ox Bow Incident

9. Joseph Sweeney-The Man In The Gray Flannel Suit (another difficult choice, but he has a memorable scene as an angry butler)

10. Ed Begley-Odds Against Tomorrow

11. George Voskovec- The Boston Strangler (memorable as the real life psychic Peter Hurkos)

12. Robert Webber-Hysteria

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice idea for a topic. Here's mine.

1. Martin Balsam-'Hombre'

2. John Fiedler-'The Odd Couple'

3. Lee J Cobb-'Boomerang!'

4. E G Marshall-'Interiors'

5. Jack Klugman-'Days of Wine and Roses'

6. Edward Binns-'Night Moves'

7. Jack Warden-'Used Cars'

8. Henry Fonda-'The Ox Bow Incident'

9. Joseph Sweeney-'The Fastest Gun Alive'

10. Ed Begley-'Billion Dollar Brain'

11. George Voskovec-'The Spy Who Came in From the Cold' (Voskovec has the most surprising filmography of the 12)

12. Robert Webber-'Harper'

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting idea. But this is one list by which I am stymied, because, if you gave me that list of actors at random and asked me to pick their best films, I would have picked 12 Angry Men for each of them!

A remarkable film with possibly the best example of ensemble acting I've ever seen.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Btw, I always thought Lee J. Cobb's usual chew-the-scenery style of acting was put to good use in the film Man of the West.

(...although and such as in the movie Golden Boy, Cobb's actual age compared to that of the movie's lead is once again a chronological mismatch of sorts)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. Martin Balsam - As the ill-fated P.I. Milton Arbogast in Hitchcock's "Psycho" (1960).

Related image

2. John Fiedler - As the voice of Piglet in Disney's "Winnie-the-Pooh" animated tales.

3. Lee J Cobb - As intelligence chief Lloyd C. Cramden in "Our Man Flint" (1966) and "In Like Flint" (1967). I still want his hotline's ringtone.

4. E.G. Marshall - As the early 19th-century Louisiana governor William C.C. Claiborne, whose daughter (Inger Stevens) falls for the privateer Jean Lafitte (Yul Brynner) in "The Buccaneer" (1958, Anthony Quinn's only film as a director).

5. Jack Klugman - As Ali MacGraw's nouveau riche father in "Goodbye Columbus" (1969). Her boyfriend was a guy named Neil Klugman, played by Richard Benjamin.

6. Edward Binns - As one of the Glen Cove, New York police officers in Hitchcock's "North by Northwest" (1959). He and the other authorities did not believe Roger O. Thornhill (Cary Grant) as he tried to explain a DWI arrest. 

Image result for edward binns north by northwest

7. Jack Warden - As Max Corkle, the best friend of the disembodied Los Angeles Rams quarterback Joe Pendleton (Warren Beatty) in "Heaven Can Wait" (1978).

Related image

8. Henry Fonda - As -- who else? -- U.S. Navy Lt. (j.g.) Doug Roberts in "Mister Roberts" (1955).

Image result for henry fonda mr. roberts gif

9. Joseph Sweeney - As the minister in the Glenn Ford Western "The Fastest Gun Alive" (1956).

10. Ed Begley - As the powerful Southern politico Boss Finley -- his Oscar-winning role in "Sweet Bird of Youth" (1962).

Related image

11. George Voskovec - As the author of a book on time travel in "Somewhere in Time" (1980). 

12. Robert Webber - In "Harper" (1966), as Shelley Winters' husband who clashes with the title character played by Paul Newman.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, scsu1975 said:

Interesting idea. But this is one list by which I am stymied, because, if you gave me that list of actors at random and asked me to pick their best films, I would have picked 12 Angry Men for each of them!

you could choose their second best film! I would agree it's the best film for most of the cast, I think only Balsam, Cobb and Fonda made better ones than this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

7. Jack Warden - As Max Corkle, the best friend of the disembodied Los Angeles Rams quarterback Joe Pendleton (Warren Beatty) in "Heaven Can Wait" (1978).

Related image

 

As I'm sure you know here jakeem, Warden is also great(and was also Oscar nominated) in another of Beatty's films, Shampoo.

(...Gotta say there was a time back in the '70s and '80s that if I saw his name listed among the cast in some newly released movie, I'd make a special effort to go see that film...always thought him one of the best post-studio era character actors out there)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

As I'm sure you know here jakeem, Warden is also great(and was also Oscar nominated) in another of Beatty's films, Shampoo.

(...Gotta say there was a time back in the '70s and '80s that if I saw his name listed among the cast in some newly released movie, I'd make a special effort to go see that film...always thought him one of the best post-studio era character actors out there)

I loved his pistol packing judge in "And Justice For All" also

Image result for jack warden and justice for all

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Yeah Darg but the sheer hilarity of him and Ken Russell in 'Used Cars'...

Oh yeah Sarge, Jack was terrific and terrifically funny in that film too!

But of course then again and as I mentioned above, he was always one of favorites and thought him good in everything he was ever in.

(...I think as a kid it was watching him starring in that short-lived television comedy of the 1960s, The Wackiest Ship in the Army, was when I began being a big fan of his)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Dargo said:

As I'm sure you know here jakeem, Warden is also great(and was also Oscar nominated) in another of Beatty's films, Shampoo.

(...Gotta say there was a time back in the '70s and '80s that if I saw his name listed among the cast in some newly released movie, I'd make a special effort to go see that film...always thought him one of the best post-studio era character actors out there)

Early in his film career, Warden made quite an impression as a racist dock worker in "Edge of the City" (1957) with Sidney Poitier and John Cassavetes. The film was based on a television production titled "A Man is Ten Feet Tall," which aired on NBC's live series The Philco Television Playhouse in 1955. Written by the acclaimed Robert Alan Aurthur, the TV version starred Poitier and Martin Balsam as the character played by Warden in the film.

Image result for jack warden sidney poitier

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Cobb makes a great salad too

Wait a second!

I was always told that it was Ty and not Lee J. who made great salads?!

(...somebody's gonna pay for this...and I don't mean for the extra Thousand Island dressing I ordered)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some great suggestions from other people. I'd probably go with:

Henry Fonda--The Grapes of Wrath (The Long Night would be second choice)

Lee J. Cobb--On the Waterfront (also like him cast against type in The Song of Bernadette)

John Fiedler--The Odd Couple

Ed Begley--Odds Against Tomorrow

Martin Balsam--Hombre

Jack Klugman--Days of Wine and Roses

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Now, here's something I occasionally wonder about of the 12.

Robert Webber, a pretty good actor and with leading man looks. Why wasn't he ever able to break into the A-list?

(...thoughts anyone?)

Webber excelled at playing villains, authority figures and ***holes. Never thought of him as as leading man or romantic hero.

I always looked forward to his guest appearances on "The Rockford Files." There always seemed to be confrontations between his characters and James Garner's durable private detective.

Image result for robert webber the dirty dozen

Webber in "The Dirty Dozen" (1967)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's something interesting since we're on the 12 Angry Men subject....

"6 Angry Women" (2016)

Film Synopsis:

A young, unarmed black teenager is shot by a white neighborhood watchman. It is up to a jury of six to decide whether or not the man is guilty of murder. Inheriting the classic 12 Angry Men and shadowing the incendiary current events of police brutality, racial profiling and civil rights, 6 Angry Women – done with an improvised script – presents the jury deliberation of six women, strangers brought together by their civil duty, each seeking to do the right thing. But the ultimate question looms for each of them to answer: what is justice vs. what is legal?

https://www.southarts.org/touring-arts/southern-circuit/previous-southern-circuit-tours/2016-17-tour-schedule/6-angry-women/

1-6-Angry-Women.jpg?ssl=1

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

Webber excelled at playing villains, authority figures and ***holes. Never thought of him as as leading man or romantic hero.

I always looked forward to his guest appearances on "The Rockford Files." There always seemed to be confrontations between his characters and James Garner's durable private detective.

Image result for robert webber the dirty dozen

Webber in "The Dirty Dozen" (1967)

Well heck jakeem, I already knew what kind of roles Webber usually played, and yeah he was always quite memorable in The Rockford Files and many other television guest roles in many other series, and usually playing those very types.

But still, I always thought he was as good looking as most other leading men of that era, anyway.

However, now that I think about my earlier question here, and considering that most of his roles were on the tube, and considering that at the time he came on the scene, it was hard for actors whose careers had become associated by mostly being on television programs and at that time it was difficult for actors to make the switch to the big screen, perhaps this might have been a major contributing factor as to why his feature film roles were so scarce and/or in the second lead or villain category when they were.

(...yeah, maybe he suffered from the "David Janssen Syndrome", eh?!) ;) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Well heck jakeem, I already knew what kind of roles Webber usually played, and yeah he was always quite memorable in The Rockford Files and many other television guest roles in many other series, and usually playing those very types.

But still, I always thought he was as good looking as most other leading men of that era, anyway.

However, now that I think about my earlier question here, and considering that most of his roles were on the tube, and considering that at the time he came on the scene, it was hard for actors whose careers had become associated by mostly being on television programs and at that time it was difficult for actors to make the switch to the big screen, perhaps this might have been a major contributing factor as to why his feature film roles were so scarce and/or in the second lead or villain category when they were.

(...yeah, maybe he suffered from the "David Janssen Syndrome", eh?!) ;) 

Just remember that Clint Eastwood and Burt Reynolds were fired by Universal on the same day in 1959. They were lucky enough to make the transition from television stardom to screen superstardom a few years later. That didn't happen for everybody.

Image result for clint eastwood burt reynolds time cover

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With such diverse and outstanding filmographies for each of them, it IS hard to pare it down to one.... But I'll try...

MARTIN BALSAM--A Thousand Clowns

JOHN FIEDLER--Have to go with "Raisin"

LEE J. COBB--Death Of  A Salesman

E.G. MARSHALL--Compulsion

JACK KLUGMAN--Cry Terror

EDWARD BINNS--Complusion

JACK WARDEN--great in everything he's done, I'll mention --Escape From Zahrain

HENRY FONDA--D'oh!  Grapes Of Wrath of course

Can't do Sweeny, but...

GEORGE VASKOVEC--Uncle Vania

ROBERT WEBBER--Harper

Sepiatone

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...