HOLLOW TRIUMPH (1948)...Paul Henreid in a dual role
RAW DEAL (1948)...exciting prison break story
CANON CITY (1948)...another prison break, based on a true story
THE AMAZING MR. X (1948)...spiritualist noir
TRAPPED (1949)...semidocumentary, early starring role for Lloyd Bridges
THE HOODLUM (1951)...good B film with Lawrence Tierney

and liked them all

• Like 1

I read what Wiki had on the studio but I couldn't find what I was looking for;  Where did the studio get the actors? 

E.g. were the actor under contract with the producers that Brian Foy, Edward Small, and Walter Wanger?

Now Wagner was married to Joan Bennett so I assume that explains her being in films like Hollow Triumph but did the studio have to 'rent' her from a major studio or was she independent or just under contract with her husband, Wanger?

Small was the producer of T-Men and Raw Deal both starring Dennis O'Keefe;   What was O'Keefe's contract status?   How did Small land someone like Clair Trevor for Raw Deal?

Same goes for the directors:   I know the tight grip the major studios had on talent was fading in the 50s.   So maybe it was just the timing;  i.e. there were enough talented actors and directors that were not under tightfisted  contracts with the majors for a studio like Eagle-Lion to make good quality 'B' pictures.

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I read what Wiki had on the studio but I couldn't find what I was looking for;  Where did the studio get the actors? 

E.g. were the actor under contract with the producers that Brian Foy, Edward Small, and Walter Wanger?

Now Wagner was married to Joan Bennett so I assume that explains her being in films like Hollow Triumph but did the studio have to 'rent' her from a major studio or was she independent or just under contract with her husband, Wanger?

Small was the producer of T-Men and Raw Deal both starring Dennis O'Keefe;   What was O'Keefe's contract status?   How did Small land someone like Clair Trevor for Raw Deal?

Same goes for the directors:   I know the tight grip the major studios had on talent was fading in the 50s.   So maybe it was just the timing;  i.e. there were enough talented actors and directors that were not under tightfisted  contracts with the majors for a studio like Eagle-Lion to make good quality 'B' pictures.

I posted this recently in another thread, so I will re-post it here:

Eagle-Lion tended to borrow expensive stars from the main studios, in order to put their films on the map.

They borrowed Zachary Scott (from Warners); Louis Hayward (from Columbia); Martha Vickers (from Warners); Carole Landis (from Fox); Lucille Bremer (from MGM); James Craig (also from MGM); Arturo De Cordova (from Paramount); Sidney Greenstreet (from Warners); Turhan Bey (from Universal); Scott Brady (from Universal); Richard Basehart (from Fox); Virginia Mayo (from Warners); etc.

And they used expensive freelancers like George Brent, Joan Bennett, Robert Preston, Claire Trevor, Dennis O'Keefe and Robert Stack. Bennett worked with her producer husband Walter Wanger; O'Keefe had a multi-picture deal with producer Edward Small.

Eagle-Lion did have its own producers and its own directors. Bryan Foy, who was a prolific B-movie producer at Warners came over to E-L so he could make "A" films. Anthony Mann had been directing "B" films at Republic and RKO, and he came to E-L to have more artistic control over his films. He often collaborated with cinematographer John Alton, and they worked on several noteworthy films like T-MEN and HE WALKED BY NIGHT.

Eagle-Lion's main funding came from British investors who wanted to get British films into American theaters. So the Hollywood films E-L made were usually packaged as part of a double-bill with the expensive British dramas the company made on the other side of the Atlantic. It was a smart idea, however, they over-extended themselves financially. Instead of grooming their own stars, they paid too much to borrow established stars from the other studios and it ate up their profits.

• Thanks 1