Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

4K Detour Restoration


cigarjoe
 Share

Recommended Posts

The trailer looks really great.  Searching the web I see that the 4k restored version was shown at the TCM film festival in late April this year and Janus said they would tour the film in the Fall of 2018:

https://criterioncast.com/news/janus-films-to-tour-new-4k-restoration-of-edgar-g-ulmers-detour

(Detour was the second entry in the Noir Alley series back on March 12 of this year, so I don't think the version shown on TCM at the time was based on the latest restoration.)

I also don't see any new Blu-Rays / DVDs of the new restoration for sale yet but perhaps next year if we are lucky.

Please correct me or fill in anything I am missing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

(Detour was the second entry in the Noir Alley series back on March 12 of this year, so I don't think the version shown on TCM at the time was based on the latest restoration.)

It didn't look that good.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GordonCole said:

Do you ever think the murky effect works to a film like Detour's advantage?

Yes I'm sure it does for some films. But if it goes from a slightly underwater look to crystal clear as it looks like it does I want to see it. I just want my blacks to be inky and not crushed.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Available March 19 from Criterion

 

GutBaftf16Agrr2DM24YR0NmOZNO2L_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray

Edgar G. Ulmer: The Man Off-Screen, a 2004 documentary featuring interviews with filmmakers Roger Corman, Joe Dante, and Wim Wenders and actor Ann Savage

New interview with film scholar Noah Isenberg, author of Edgar G. Ulmer: A Filmmaker at the Margins

New program about the restoration of Detour

Trailer

PLUS: An essay by critic and poet Robert Polito

 

 

  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just heard Criterion is releasing this. I’m a huge fan of collecting Criterion movies on Blu Ray especially during the Barnes & Noble sale but this situation definitely begs the question: Is spending top dollar for a movie that is only a little over an hour really worth it? The retail price for this will most certainly be $39.99, is it worth it? I’m not the biggest fan if extras on a blu-ray/dvd so I’m paying strictly for the movie and it’s a pretty short movie. I might be in the minority but unless it’s a Chaplin/Keaton/Lloyd movie I cannot purchase an expensive movie if it’s under an hour and a half in length.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

oh wow!

i can say from personal viewing experience that the quality of the print and sound of a movie make a HUGE difference on the impression it makes on you, having seen a handful of films in crappy shape and then in pristine restorations, there hasn't been a single one that has not gone up in my estimation- from DRACULA to GRAND HOTEL.

The hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssss on the soundtrack, which can be charming, once removed can really change the impact of an otherwise silent scene and drive home the horror or seriousness of a moment.

I've only seen DETOUR in mediocre (at best) prints with iffy sound, and I already like it a lot, can't wait to see it all cleaned up!

ps- ANN SAH-VAGE'S CHARACTER in this movie is the MEANEST WOMAN in ANY FILM made between 1934 and 1960.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Your eyes of blue, your kisses too,
I never knew what they could do.
I can't believe that you're in love with me.

You're telling ev'ry one I know
I'm on your mind each place we go
They can't believe that you're in love with me.

I have always placed you far above me.
I just can't imagine that you love me.
And after all is said and done,
To think that I'm the lucky one.
I can't believe that you're in love with me."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/17/2018 at 11:43 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

The hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssss on the soundtrack, which can be charming, once removed can really change the impact of an otherwise silent scene and drive home the horror or seriousness of a moment.

The hiss on the dupe prints is what I call "top soil". AKA excess noise added to original soundtrack by duping or poor printing.  However, if the restorationists are working from original materials, there may be some noise inherent in the original composite soundtrack. Removing that would be problematic because it will compromise the ambience in the original track. Today's audio technicians feel they have to match the pristine images with pristine - aka noiseless - soundtracks. And the result is invariably a very dull and lackluster sound. Here's hoping the DETOUR gang doesn't go overboard with cleaning up the track. Remove blemishes, yes. But leave the original fidelity intact, please.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Ray Faiola said:

The hiss on the dupe prints is what I call "top soil". AKA excess noise added to original soundtrack by duping or poor printing.  However, if the restorationists are working from original materials, there may be some noise inherent in the original composite soundtrack. Removing that would be problematic because it will compromise the ambience in the original track. Today's audio technicians feel they have to match the pristine images with pristine - aka noiseless - soundtracks. And the result is invariably a very dull and lackluster sound. Here's hoping the DETOUR gang doesn't go overboard with cleaning up the track. Remove blemishes, yes. But leave the original fidelity intact, please.

a good point, and I love the "top soil" analogy!

again, i don't mind a little hissssssssss on a soundtrack to an early 30's or even 40's film- i can even find it endearing. the main film I cite as being improved by the (seemingly complete) removal of the HISSSSSSSS on the soundtrack would be DRACULA (1931); the dead silent moments in the first 15 minutes I found much more effective without the HISSSSSSSSSSSSSS that had been there before.

also, the first time I tried to watch GRAND HOTEL (on VHS in the 90's) the HISSSSSSS was so loud as to obscure some of the dialogue.

so, the Hisssssssssssssssssss can be both a blesssssssing and a cursssssse.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/17/2018 at 10:17 AM, vidorisking said:

I just heard Criterion is releasing this. I’m a huge fan of collecting Criterion movies on Blu Ray especially during the Barnes & Noble sale but this situation definitely begs the question: Is spending top dollar for a movie that is only a little over an hour really worth it? The retail price for this will most certainly be $39.99, is it worth it? I’m not the biggest fan if extras on a blu-ray/dvd so I’m paying strictly for the movie and it’s a pretty short movie. I might be in the minority but unless it’s a Chaplin/Keaton/Lloyd movie I cannot purchase an expensive movie if it’s under an hour and a half in length.

I agree with Lorna 100% that the quality of the movie you watch can directly increase your appreciation of the film.  For me it reminds me of when HD TV first came around - I could watch anything all day just because of how good it looked compared to what had been on before.  I also have trouble watching many of the films from the 70s and 80s because the currently showing versions seem to be from bad DVD productions with poor color and image detail.

That said, the print they have been showing on TCM is not too bad.  Unfortunately, I don't currently see it scheduled for the next couple of months.  There are also some older DVDs for sale on TCM Shop and other outlets, but the comments on Amazon for these DVDs would seem to indicate buyer beware as they may be from public domain sources and would not be equivalent to what TCM has been showing.

When the restored version does becomes available, it will also be sold in a DVD version which is currently $10 cheaper than the blu-ray price (comparing on Amazon).

But the bottom line on any purchase is a personal decision of how much you value the differences in what is offered versus what you are willing to spend.  The other nice thing about Criterion titles is that they also include many special features of interest to go along with the film, so that may help soften the blow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...