Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Night Has a Thousand Eyes (1948)

cigarjoe

A Paramount Film Noir that's never played on TCM. Directed by John Farrow. The screenplay was by Barré Lyndon and Jonathan Latimer. Based on the novel of the same name by Cornell Woolrich.

Stars: Edward G. Robinson as John Triton 'The Mental Wizard', Gail Russell as Jean Courtland, John Lund as Elliott Carson, Virginia Bruce as Jenny Courtland, William Demarest as Lt. Shawn, Richard Webb as Peter Vinson, Jerome Cowan as Whitney Courtland.

It would be a nice one for Noir Alley.

Anybody ever see it?

Night Has a Thousand Eyes Poster

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I watched it just last week, and it's quite intriguing, with some really lovely black and white photography.

Based on a work by Cornell Woolrich, Eddie G. plays a fake mentalist act who starts experiencing brief visions foreseeing the future (an airplane crashing involving a friend, for example) and the darn things start to come true. Robinson is scared and feels cursed that he can briefly see these half visions (almost like someone who can see ghosts whether he wants to or not, I guess). Robinson quits his stage act and behaves like a hermit (shots of Bunker Hill, in LA, I believe) as he withdraws from the world.

Robinson is terrific, as always. Also good is William Demarest as a cynical detective who gets involved in the case (among other things Robinson has a vision of Gail Russell's death, with a crushed flower being involved somehow and the feet of a lion).

I thought that Eddie G. had a good explanation for his visions, which he gave to the cynical cop. Say you're on a train looking out a window. You see a house pass by, then it's gone. Then a cow, and it's gone. Then, say, some children and they're gone. You see each one at a time. But if you're sitting on top of the train you can see all three of them at the same time.

I may be embellishing a bit on his dialogue in the film but that's the gist of what he said.

I thought the ending was pretty contrived but that doesn't mean this film isn't well worth seeing. If you hunt around the internet it can be found on occasion. I found it at rarefilmm.com a few years ago but I don't know if it's still there.

• Like 2

At the risk of sidetracking this thread and after another of Tom's nicely worded and on-track posts, AND only because I kind'a opened the door earlier with that whole "Bobby Vee" reference to a pop song with a very similar title, I'm unable to resist the urge to tell the following story from my youth...

In a manner of speaking here CJ, I suppose you COULD say that I did indeed once "watch" (The) Night Has a Thousand Eyes. Nope, not the Eddie G. Robinson movie, but the video of the song being sung by Bobby Vee years before MTV would come about.

It was on one these things which was located in a L.A. suburb bowling alley I used to frequent when I was a kid...

scopitone003-780x531.jpg

...and which I believe utilized a library of 16mm films built into it in order to present its entertainment to the public, and such as the following and aforementioned Bobby Vee performance of his then hit song I remember watching on it back then...

(...once again here CJ, sorry for this sidetracking of your thread)

• Like 1

Night Has A Thousand Eyes has been shown on TCM, but not for some time. I watched the film. What I remember is TCM did one of their themed showings. The Clairvoyent with Claude Rains was also shown that day. Night Has A Thousand Eyes was definitely shown. It was aired in the last 10 years, but I don't think since then.

ps dargo, love the song Night Has a thousand Eyes and I had a little white and gold transitor radio with me all time LOL. Murray the K and Cousin Brucie were my guys until FM took over.

• Like 2

I have never seen the movie, but I have listened to the radio adaptation that ran on the SCREEN DIRECTORS PLAYHOUSE because I love Edward G Robinson and wanted to hear some of his radio work. 

It was all right, but it’s only half an hour long (They later went to an hour long format which is much, much better) So it seems like they miss a lot of stuff in condensing it.

I apologize if the following link does not work:

4 hours ago, Dargo said:

Nope CJ, but I DO remember hearing Bobby Vee singing the theme song from it back in '62 on my transistor radio, anyway.

(...okay...probably wasn't the "theme song" for it, huh)

DANG, Darg!

And I was all set to come in here and say that if they waited 14 years, they could have used Bobby Vee's song as it's theme.  Or maybe they'd cop out of it the way producers did GENE PITNEY'S tune "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance"  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 4:34 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

Night Has A Thousand Eyes has been shown on TCM, but not for some time. I watched the film. What I remember is TCM did one of their themed showings. The Clairvoyent with Claude Rains was also shown that day. Night Has A Thousand Eyes was definitely shown. It was aired in the last 10 years, but I don't think since then.

ps dargo, love the song Night Has a thousand Eyes and I had a little white and gold transitor radio with me all time LOL. Murray the K and Cousin Brucie were my guys until FM took over.

I looked at MovieCollector's list of films that have shown on TCM and "Night Has A Thousand Eyes" is not in the list. I've been a pretty devoted watcher of TCM for the last eleven years, and watched it when I could since it first came on the air, and I never remember seeing this film on TCM. Could you be remembering it on the old AMC? Don't worry if you're mistaken, after all I'm the person who thought there was blackface in White Christmas.

25 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

I looked at MovieCollector's list of films that have shown on TCM and "Night Has A Thousand Eyes" is not in the list. I've been a pretty devoted watcher of TCM for the last eleven years, and watched it when I could since it first came on the air, and I never remember seeing this film on TCM. Could you be remembering it on the old AMC? Don't worry if you're mistaken, after all I'm the person who thought there was blackface in White Christmas.

I've had TCM since 2005 and I'm certain the film has not been on the channel in Canada during that period of time. Whether it was on in the U.S. I cant say for sure but the Canadian schedule usually parallels that south of the border about 90% of the time.

I've definitely seen Night Has A Thousand Eyes on tv. I'm pretty sure TCM has shown it. calvin go back further on the  TCM schedule if you can. It was definitely shown on TV, it may have been on another station. If you and Tom want me to swear I've seen Night Has A Thousand Eyes on tv, ok,  I SWEAR LOL

29 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I've had TCM since 2005 and I'm certain the film has not been on the channel in Canada during that period of time. Whether it was on in the U.S. I cant say for sure but the Canadian schedule usually parallels that south of the border about 90% of the time.

Read what i wrote to calvin Tom, I SWEAR I'VE SEEN the film on TV. 

6 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I've definitely seen Night Has A Thousand Eyes on tv. I'm pretty sure TCM has shown it. calvin go back further on the  TCM schedule if you can. It was definitely shown on TV, it may have been on another station. If you and Tom want me to swear I've seen Night Has A Thousand Eyes on tv, ok,  I SWEAR LOL

Read what i wrote to calvin Tom, I SWEAR I'VE SEEN the film on TV. 

Well, maybe you did see it on TCM in the States, lav. I'm 99% sure it hasn't been on TCM in Canada in the last thirteen years. That's all I'm saying.

4 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Well, maybe you did see it on TCM in the States, lav. I'm 99% sure it hasn't been on TCM in Canada in the last thirteen years. That's all I'm saying.

I live in America and I know it has not been on since 2007. A 1940s Paramount noir starring Eddie G. would have been big news on TCM had it aired. It is likely it would have been a prime time affair. The archives for this message board go back to the year 2001. It is likely that if it aired since then you would be able to drag up some old thread mentioning it.

I have no way to prove I've seen the film on tv. But I have, I never would have posted that it was shown on TCM since the schedule is easily accessible if I didn't believe it was TCM where I had seen the film. In my memory when The Clairvoyent was aired, I thought Night was also shown at that time. Possibly my memory is playing tricks It may have been on another station, I've always had cable and the premium stations and maybe it was shown on one of those stations. Luckily for me I have seen the film, sorry you haven't seen it.

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I have no way to prove I've seen the film on tv. But I have, I never would have posted that it was shown on TCM since the schedule is easily accessible if I didn't believe it was TCM where I had seen the film. In my memory when The Clairvoyent was aired, I thought Night was also shown at that time. Possibly my memory is playing tricks It may have been on another station, I've always had cable and the premium stations and maybe it was shown on one of those stations. Luckily for me I have seen the film, sorry you haven't seen it.

Could it have been The Amazing Mr. X (1948) instead?

11 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

No, it was DEFINITELY Night Has A Thousand Eyes. I remember being excited when I saw it was on, since I wanted to see the film. I'm tempted to contact TV Guide on Monday to find out if there is any way to go thru their archives to see what station and when the film was on TV.

I'm sure you did see it on TV - it has a unique plot. I think you probably saw it on the old AMC (pre October 2002). The reason that I say this is that AMC showed the old Paramounts and Universals, and this would be one. By 2007 TCM was only showing films that had been digitized. The copy of "Night Has A Thousand Eyes" that I have seen is a bootleg DVD from a VHS copy and has an "AMC" watermark in the corner.  Universal owns the rights to this film, and if they had digitized it then it would be out on DVD-R under their Universal Vault label, especially with a famous lead like Edward G. Robinson.

5 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I think it's safe to say that lavenderblue knows the difference between Edward G. Robinson and Tyrone Power. :lol:

Not sure the need for the put-down. Joe and I were not discussing actors but movies with similar themes...and since NIGHTMARE ALLEY also starts with the word 'Night' it is possible Lavender misremembered titles, not actors. If MovieCollector's data seems to indicate the Robinson film did not air on TCM, then it's likely Lavender is thinking of a different movie. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

I'm sure you did see it on TV - it has a unique plot. I think you probably saw it on the old AMC (pre October 2002). The reason that I say this is that AMC showed the old Paramounts and Universals, and this would be one. By 2007 TCM was only showing films that had been digitized. The copy of "Night Has A Thousand Eyes" that I have seen is a bootleg DVD from a VHS copy and has an "AMC" watermark in the corner.  Universal owns the rights to this film, and if they had digitized it then it would be out on DVD-R under their Universal Vault label, especially with a famous lead like Edward G. Robinson.

Yes, in all likelihood, it was aired on the old AMC. It's possible TCM could air it someday.

Just now, calvinnme said:

A much better chance of "Thousand Eyes" airing than "Hot Spell" apparently!

When TCM has those contests for fan programmers, these are the kinds of films that could get shown. It takes someone real passionate to "introduce" these films to TCM and its audience.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I think it's safe to say that lavenderblue knows the difference between Edward G. Robinson and Tyrone Power. :lol:

LOL Thanks Tom, yes YOU know I know the difference between EGR and Tyrone. I have to say that the post you responded to was one of the silliest I've seen in a long time :D

I won't bother responding to that post, I certainly also know the difference between both films, afterall I 've seen them both LOL

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings