Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Interviews with Vulgar Words and Phrases

Mario500

Had you ever been surprised by such words and phrases in certain interviews? For example, I was surprised to hear a recording of whom I had assumed was a certain performer of a certain character named Beakman for a certain TV program named "Beakman's World" named Paul Zaloom saying the word "hell" in vulgar ways earlier today.

There's plenty of famous people in history, from whom I'd be surprised to hear slovenly, piggish phrases emanate.

I refer to classic Hollywood stars, or perhaps famous athletes, diplomats, musicians, artists, or authors from that same period. They usually knew better.

But when it comes to the Hollywood trash present in today's contemporary media landscape, (the 'video' era) no--I wouldn't be surprised by that at all. I'd expect it of them. Over time, society has gradually become less formal, and so we wind up today with pierced, tattooed mumbling oafs in wool knit caps.

This is not to indicate that I feel ("H + E + double hockey sticks") is grounds for as serious a complaint as you just reported but there's other phrases which would make me grimace. Gratuitous and immoderate use of expletives is the mark of the churl, in my opinion.

• Like 1

I have a book called Conversations With Classic Film Stars by James Bawden and Ron Miller. One of the interviews is a 1978 talk with Glenn Ford and he has a bit of a foul mouth. 

He was asked about Fritz Lang, who was heard to be a nightmare to actors.

Ford's reply-" I told him, Fritz don't **** with me, I know your reputation and I don't take that kind of ****. From then on he liked me."

:huh:

How CAN you say "Hell" in a "vulgar" way?  

I did( and perhaps somewhere still do) have an old VHS tape with dozens of clips of "outakes" in which when some "classic" star would blow a line of otherwise mess up and angrily bust out a "blue streak" of four letter expletives. ;)

You haven't LIVED until you hear BETTE DAVIS spit out an expertly aimed "F-bomb"!  :D 

BTW MARIO---- do you stick around for  BILL NYE, THE SCIENCE GUY that follows "Beakman" on MeTV?

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

BTW MARIO---- do you stick around for  BILL NYE, THE SCIENCE GUY that follows "Beakman" on MeTV?

Sepiatone

I would say I would in case the message directly above this one was made in reference to a certain TV program for a certain TV programming service often referenced as "Memorable Entertainment Television" in addition to "MeTV" and other ways.

2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I have a book called Conversations With Classic Film Stars by James Bawden and Ron Miller. One of the interviews is a 1978 talk with Glenn Ford and he has a bit of a foul mouth. 

He was asked about Fritz Lang, who was heard to be a nightmare to actors.

Ford's reply-" I told him, Fritz don't **** with me, I know your reputation and I don't take that kind of ****. From then on he liked me."

Interesting. In Coyne Sanders' book on Desilu, subtitled The Story of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, he interviews quite a few Desilu personnel. Some of them talk about how crass William Frawley could be, especially around Vivian Vance whom he detested. I guess it makes these people more human...?

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

:huh:

How CAN you say "Hell" in a "vulgar" way?  

Yeah, I know huh, Sepia.

I always thought that Book says you're not supposed to use The Big Guy's name in vain, but I sure don't ever recall reading in it anywhere where in says it's a faux pas to say in vain the place where his evil nemesis resides?!

(...oops, sorry...sure hope this doesn't now start some kind'a Theological discussion here...I know they kind'a frown on that sort'a thing around here)

;)

• Haha 1

Hell has many synonyms...underworld, inferno, place of departed spirits, the lower world, the grave, infernal regions, Sheol, Hades, Tartarus, Gehenna, abyss, realm of Pluto, Tophet, Styx, Acheron, Dis, Cocytus, Avernus, Abaddon, Satan's Kingdom, abode of the damned, abode of the dead, everlasting fire, perdition, purgatory, limbo, Erebus.

and not a single one vulgar. :huh:

• Like 2

I say "Hell" all the time. Am I damned to perdition for doing so?

Hell, if I am I'll be with some mighty entertaining company, at least.
Hell, I just did it again... oops.
My parden for offending any sensitive ears. :o

• Haha 1

I don't know, I always find it amusing when someone who you wouldn't expect, uses an expletive.  Like Beakman from Beakman's World for example.  If you've ever watched any of the Warner Brothers "Breakdowns of [insert year]" videos, these are hilarious! Who doesn't want to hear Bette Davis swear?  These videos are funny 1) because the blooper itself is funny; 2) because of how these stars react to said blooper; 3) And because the classic Hollywood era is romanticized as being so goody goody, it's fun to see that that wasn't the case.  It also shows that these stars were like anyone else.  Not that this is using an expletive, but I think that is part of the reason the Paul Reubens theater incident was such a scandal. Reubens' Pee Wee Herman's Playhouse was a children's program.  Reubens was caught participating in adult behavior in an adult space.  I think it is a little silly that it blew up how it did (I would probably expect that type of behavior in that type of venue), but he was supposed to be for children.  WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?! 

Re: vulgarities, sometimes it is perfectly appropriate when used for effect.  If someone got impaled by a fence post, I wouldn't expect them to go, "golly gee whiz, that really hurt."  There are those however who use it every other word, for every part of speech.  I find that gratuitous and to me, indicates a lack of vocabulary.  

In the end, a word is a word, even something very crass, like "see you next Tuesday," is just a word.  It's the context, tone, intent of the word that determines its meaning. 

As an aside, it's interesting to have a thread about expletives and vulgarities on a board that regularly censors such words.  It's a writing exercise to try and discuss these words without having your post censored.

I occasionally hear "hell" and "damn" in classic films.  Of course there's Clark Gable's immortal line in Gone With the Wind, Charles Coburn uses "damn" in a different sense in The More the Merrier and in Picnic, William Holden says "damn."  I just watched The Lady Vanishes, and Michael Redgrave used both "hell" and "damn" in their modern context (of course, that was a British film). 

17 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

My parden for offending any sensitive ears. :o

:D

Reminds me of a photo in an old NATIONAL LAMPOON mag of GERALD FORD, shown signing some document, with a dialog "bubble" superimposed on the photo that had him asking, "Is 'pardon' spelled with an "e" or a "u"?"   :D 

And, I think in this case, it's sensitive EYES you'd have to beg pardon from, as I don't think anybody much HEARS anything they READ. ;) 

And MARIO;  Indeed, I made reference to a television program that precedes BILL NYE on MeTV.  I've never seen or heard BEAKMAN'S WORLD on any other network or channel.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings