Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mankiewicz Tactful in His Landis Career Overview

When making a roughly chronological listing of John Landis' "greatest hits", I noticed Ben made a point of skipping Twilight Zone: the Movie!

Earlier this year, I attended a 40th anniversary screening of Animal House which was attended by Landis and Bruce McGill. Why they held this in my city, which had absolutely nothing to do with the making of the movie, I have no idea. But I went. It was hinted "cast members" might attend, and I must admit, I was hoping for a little more star wattage. Donald Sutherland and Kevin Bacon (and maybe even Tim Matheson) were probably wishing for the stars, but what are Tom Hulce and Karen Allen doing these days that are so important?

Anyway, I got to see Landis speak briefly outside the theater and again before the screening. There was to be a Q&A one theater over after the movie. Apparently everyone in attendance but my friend and I understood that it was going to begin literally like five seconds after the movie was over, so starting a good 30 minutes before the end of the film, a mass exodus began to the adjacent theater. We were puzzled but kept on watching the movie, which we thought was the reason everyone had come. When we went over to the other theater after the closing credits ended, the Q&A had already been going for 10 minutes, and it was SRO, so we just went home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Talk about irony!  This evening TCM ran a spot featuring Vic Morrow promoting The Blackboard Jungle.  Immediately following that, Ben Mankiewicz came on with the evening's guest programmer, John Landis.  Landis introduced the film he chose, Paths of Glory, about a military commander's indifference to vast losses of the lives entrusted to him in his quest for personal success.  The Vic Morrow thing may have been intentional on someone's part, but the creepy thing is Landis was probably totally oblivious to the irony of all this.  It also seems Morrow sensed years earlier how he was to die. http://www.aintnowaytogo.com/twZone.htm  The whole thing was so creepy and ironic it would have been material for an episode of The Twilight Zone.

• Like 1

I think these intro/outro segments are typically shot several months in advance, so of course Landis would have no way of knowing what promo would be airing right before his appearance. But that is certainly an ironic lead-in! Could someone at TCM actually have enough of a twisted sense of humor to intentionally do that?

7 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I think these intro/outro segments are typically shot several months in advance, so of course Landis would have no way of knowing what promo would be airing right before his appearance. But that is certainly an ironic lead-in! Could someone at TCM actually have enough of a twisted sense of humor to intentionally do that?

These films were originally scheduled to air on the 30th of October, and then they were postponed. So probably in this case, Landis' wraparounds were done back in August or September.

52 minutes ago, RBG FAN said:

I have to say, as one who lives in California, I don't watch any of the Prime Time programs on TCM. In our house, it is 5 PM and we turn on the evening news. I only see Ben and company on the weekends. I should not have to stream TCM just to have a West Coast feed. A funny sort of thing, I only really know John Landis from "The Making Of Thriller." If you look for it on YouTube, the clip of The Jackson 5 has been deleted. My favorite part.

Yeah, DAMN that Tito and his bank of lawyers, huh! 

;)