Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Additions to Film Registry Announced

sewhite2000

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/jurassic-park-shining-added-to-national-film-registry/2018/12/12/a7b54874-fde4-11e8-a17e-162b712e8fc2_story.html?utm_term=.87d2455796da

Now we can start playing the guessing game of what's going to air!

I would say the most likely are:
Bad Day at Black Rock
On the Town
Rebecca
The Informer
Days of Wine and Roses
The Lady from Shanghai

The Fox films Pickup on South StreetBroadcast News and Leave Her to Heaven seem less likely, but they've all aired on TCM before. TCM would have to have advance knowledge of the honorees, I assume, to schedule anything outside of their library. Maybe they do get the info in advance?

Would love for them to show the Paramount film One-Eyed Jacks, but it's never aired on TCM and is extremely unlikely.

The Shining, like all Kubrick post-1970, is Warner Bros. and might air, but it would have to be after midnight, I assume.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/jurassic-park-shining-added-to-national-film-registry/2018/12/12/a7b54874-fde4-11e8-a17e-162b712e8fc2_story.html?utm_term=.87d2455796da

Now we can start playing the guessing game of what's going to air!

I would say the most likely are:
Bad Day at Black Rock
On the Town
Rebecca
The Informer
Days of Wine and Roses
The Lady from Shanghai

The Fox films Pickup on South StreetBroadcast News and Leave Her to Heaven seem less likely, but they've all aired on TCM before. TCM would have to have advance knowledge of the honorees, I assume, to schedule anything outside of their library. Maybe they do get the info in advance?

Would love for them to show the Paramount film One-Eyed Jacks, but it's never aired on TCM and is extremely unlikely.

The Shining, like all Kubrick post-1970, is Warner Bros. and might air, but it would have to be after midnight, I assume.

Very interesting. ONE-EYED JACKS is in the public domain. Criterion issued a restored print. So that's a possibility. But I think these films are the likely "suspects" since they are in the Turner library:

Bad Day at Black Rock (MGM)
On the Town (MGM)
The Informer (RKO)
Days of Wine and Roses (WB)

It's unlikely they're going to show Disney's Cinderella.  :D

As for The Shining, "Ready Player One" has now cemented its status as a Big 80's Pop-Cult Movie (despite the fact that most people only know three lines from it), and one of the six or seven "cult" titles that Warner wants to shove down our marketing throat over the next two to three years in absence of Batman or The Hobbit.  So, yeah, they wouldn't miss an opportunity, although, yes, late at night.

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Do you mean directly, or peripherally?

Directly..... 1. Why the frantic rush to broadcast the "winners"? 2. Are the "winners" based on what TCM has licensed and ready to show?

The process is very secretive. Behind closed doors. Who is on the committee that chooses these films. What connections do they have to broadcasting, movie studios, etc?

4 minutes ago, drednm said:

Directly..... 1. Why the frantic rush to broadcast the "winners"? 2. Are the "winners" based on what TCM has licensed and ready to show?

The process is very secretive. Behind closed doors. Who is on the committee that chooses these films. What connections do they have to broadcasting, movie studios, etc?

I think it's just a case where TCM is partnering with them to raise TCM's profile. They figure that a lot of the titles to be selected will come from the Turner library of films, so it's easy to build two nights of programming around it.

32 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I think it's just a case where TCM is partnering with them to raise TCM's profile. They figure that a lot of the titles to be selected will come from the Turner library of films, so it's easy to build two nights of programming around it.

Possibly. But I suspect too many corporate hands in the pie.

I also think in part the reason why we ended up with My Fair Lady again last night was that a hardly insignificant number of the 25 yesterday were either newer films than TCM is generally known for (Broadcast News, Jurassic Park, Eve's Bayou, Smoke Signals, and especially Brokeback Mountain) and are less prone to air on a moment's notice, or were from studios that do not lend out so easily if at all (Hud, Leave Her to Heaven, Pickup on South Street, Cinderella). And with 9 out of the 25 out of the way just there, it does not leave many options.....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, EricJ said:

It's unlikely they're going to show Disney's Cinderella.  :D

As for The Shining, "Ready Player One" has now cemented its status as a Big 80's Pop-Cult Movie (despite the fact that most people only know three lines from it), and one of the six or seven "cult" titles that Warner wants to shove down our marketing throat over the next two to three years in absence of Batman or The Hobbit.  So, yeah, they wouldn't miss an opportunity, although, yes, late at night.

Maybe it's due to a momentary loss of muscular coordination instead?

Which movies were actually programmed on TCM Wednesday night? I saw a fragment of My Fair Lady but couldn't stay up all night to discover the actual programming choices. Today I have been unable to uncover any information about the lineup of what L Maltin actually showed. Maybe I just don't know where to look for such info on this site. Anyone able to clear up this mystery for me? Thanks.

41 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Which movies were actually programmed on TCM Wednesday night? I saw a fragment of My Fair Lady but couldn't stay up all night to discover the actual programming choices. Today I have been unable to uncover any information about the lineup of what L Maltin actually showed. Maybe I just don't know where to look for such info on this site. Anyone able to clear up this mystery for me? Thanks.

This was last night's schedule:

screen-shot-2018-12-11-at-5-07-19-am.jpg

8:00 p.m. Hair Piece (1984)

8:30 p.m. My Fair Lady (1964)

11:30 p.m. The Informer (1935)

1:15 a.m. Monterey Pop (1969)

2:45 a.m. Hearts and Minds (1975)

4:45 a.m. The Lady from Shanghai (1948)

35 minutes ago, RichardA said:

My "thank you" was intended for Top Billed, just in case that wasn't clear. Add to my "to do" list -- learn how to post responses on this board! Trying to figure out how to navigate my way around here.

No problem. Welcome to the message boards!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings