Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Spotlight: Songs on Screen with Dave Karger and guest host Chris Isaak

I'm glad that this December on every Friday night TCM will be spotlighting movies with famous songs.

With the talented and down-to-Earth Chris Isaak giving his take of some of the movies and songs selected.

Hearing Dave Karger and Chris discuss 'The Graduate' and the original 'Thomas Crown Affair' last Friday was enjoyable and very insightful.

My parents would be in total agreement with their opinions of the song choices for both films. ;)

They really wanted Robert Redford and Candice Bergin as the original intended choices for the Graduate though?

Learning that the son of Rex Harrison (Noel Harrison) was the singer of the 'Windmills of Your Mind' song for Thomas Crown Affair proves talent runs in the family. 

Next up: 'Blackboard Jungle' and 'To Sir with Love' both starring the talented and accomplish Sidney Poitier.

Looking forward to hearing the insights of these two films.

On 12/12/2018 at 8:44 AM, Sgt_Markoff said:

Chris who? How are they selecting these guest hosts ...with letters in bottles? Chinese astrology?

LOL

To answer your first question:

Chris Isaak is a Country and Adult Contemporary singer of the 80s and 90s.

His most famous song is 'Wicked Games':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBx1Q3DEyDY

37 minutes ago, ClassicMovies_fan_chick said:

LOL

To answer your first question:

Chris Issak is a Country and Adult Contemporary singer of the 80s and 90s.

His most famous song is 'Wicked Games':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBx1Q3DEyDY

I love Chris Issak's "Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing."  He's a great singer.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Chris who? How are they selecting these guest hosts ...with letters in bottles? Chinese astrology?

Saaaay...THESE wouldn't happen to be the very same methods you've been using to select which old threads you've decided to revive around here lately, would they Sarge??? ;)

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

The Graduate was originally intended to be about a blond WASP-ish family, thus the interest in Robert Redford and Candice Bergen. Doris Day was also considered as a possible Mrs. Robinson, though she was not interested. The choice of Dustin Hoffman shifted the movie away from blond WASPs.

By the way, Noel Harrison also had a big hit with Leonard Cohen's "Suzanne." At one time I owned a 45 of that.

1 hour ago, kingrat said:

The Graduate was originally intended to be about a blond WASP-ish family, thus the interest in Robert Redford and Candice Bergen. Doris Day was also considered as a possible Mrs. Robinson, though she was not interested. The choice of Dustin Hoffman shifted the movie away from blond WASPs.

By the way, Noel Harrison also had a big hit with Leonard Cohen's "Suzanne." At one time I owned a 45 of that.

What do you mean by 'originally intended'?     E.g. the screenplay is based on a novel by the same name, by Charles Webb;   so the book is about a blond WASP-ish family?    OR was that part of the original screenplay by Henry \ Willingham?    OR did those sources NOT have a specific type of family in mind,  and therefore the choice was decided by the producer \ director?

Chris Isaak RULES. He is a SanFrancisco based "surf" type crooner singer/songwriter. While "Wicked Game" is great, all his album songs are great too. Obviously, I'm a huge fan.

He had his own TV show in 2001-4 which was excellent. He has full rights to the show which has never been released on DVD or in syndication, wah.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Chris Isaak RULES. He is a SanFrancisco based "surf" type crooner singer/songwriter. While "Wicked Game" is great, all his album songs are great too. Obviously, I'm a huge fan.

He had his own TV show in 2001-4 which was excellent. He has full rights to the show which has never been released on DVD or in syndication, wah.

This jazz lover and musician has a lot of respect for Chris Isaak;  first he is 'real'.    His music, while 'basic' is 'real' (real in that one can see it comes from HIM,  and is what HE wishes to communicate).     Back in the early 2000s I was in a rockabilly band (lead guitar) and the lead singer was an Isaak clone;  we covered a lot of his material.   Great stuff.

Always watched his T.V. show.  Yea,  I wish some T.V. network would carry that show.   Of course it was topical,  but still I would like to see it again.

• Thanks 1

Saaay, being such big fans of Chris' here, maybe one of you two can answer a question about the guy I've been wonderin' about for years now...

He isn't at all related to Kurt Russell, is he?!

(...or is it just a coincidence that they look a lot alike) 

;)

3 minutes ago, RBG FAN said:

Speaking of clones James, way back in the 80s, I listened to Jim Lange on 960 KABL, because he played 'my' music. He introduced a 'new' artist that sounded just like Sinatra. We know him as Michael Bublé. I know who Chris Isaak is, and do recognize his 'Wicked Games' song as soon as it starts to play. I also know 'Baker Street' by Jerry Rafferty from the start.

I have mentioned before, Prime Time is shown at 5 PM out here in California, and I watch CBS, not TCM. So I never see this stuff, or consider it important enough to DVR. It will always puzzle me to think Watch TCM has East and West, but the channel does not. Prime Time at 8 PM seems to be important, but only for a single time zone. Hello? Anyone at TCM listening?

Ah! My old buddy Jim!

(...not really, but years ago I was a contest on two of the game shows he hosted on TV)

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Back in the early 2000s I was in a rockabilly band (lead guitar) and the lead singer was an Isaak clone;  we covered a lot of his material.

Oops, I just read that last line.

I was hoping the band you played with was THE BLUE HAWAAIANS- one of my favorites. The lead singer sounds a bit like Isaak, but they perform wholly different songs. 

On 12/12/2018 at 8:44 AM, Sgt_Markoff said:

I understand your disdain but I have a deep inner feeling that you actually might like Isaak if you gave him a change. He's kind of the Ying to your Yang, Sgt. in a rather mystical way. Youtube him and see if you don't enjoy the minor mood he sets in his songs.

3 hours ago, kingrat said:

James, my understanding is that Charles Webb's novel The Graduate is about an upper-crust WASP family, so that was why actors like Robert Redford, Candice Bergen, and Doris Day were originally under consideration for the leading roles.

I think Day would've been a relevation as Mrs. Robinson. Too bad she turned it down. Could've revived her career which was going downhill fast at that point....

Isaak was complimentary to Lulu for "To Sir With Love" but was derogatory to The Mindbenders, who I think were very good in this film. Their song "It's Getting Harder All The Time" is a great catchy 1960s pop song and serves as a touching and funny dance between Poitier and Judy Geeson. BTW, I own the soundtrack to this film and love all of it.

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2018 at 8:16 AM, ClassicMovies_fan_chick said:

Learning that the son of Rex Harrison (Noel Harrison) was the singer of the 'Windmills of Your Mind' song for Thomas Crown Affair proves talent runs in the family. 

So true. Sir Rex performed "Talk to the Animals" in the 1967 musical "Doctor Dolittle." Written by Leslie Bricusse, the tune won the Academy Award for Best Original Song, giving the Harrison family an unprecedented, back-to-back achievement.

"Windmills of Your Mind," written by Michel Legrand and Alan and Marilyn Bergman, won the Oscar for Best Original Song of 1968.

• Thanks 1

Chris opinion about the mood of 'To Sir with Love' was a revelation of the times changing since the film's release. In regards to the male lead, Sidney Poitier was excellent in both that and 'Blackboard Jungle'. Good thing they brought up Lulu she is one singer people should know more about.

Plus 'Shaft' was really another film which showcase the change of the times as well. Hearing him imitate the waa-waa paddle was funny.

Looking forwards to the discussion on two of my mother favorite films, 'Way We Were, The' and 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' plus one I've always liked 'High Society' this coming Friday.

• 2 weeks later...

Hearing the opinion of 'High Society' was interesting.

Chris really couldn't say Bing or Frank were better than the other. 

I would say I was more into Frank Sinatra.

One thing I love the most about that film, THE FLORAL ARRANGEMENTS! 

Looking forward to the final night where Dave and Chris will discuss 'A Hard Day's Night''Jailhouse Rock', and 'Tommy'.

2 minutes ago, GordonCole said:

You kill me, Sgt. Markoff. Finally a true successor to Sheridan Whiteside right in our midst.

Whiteside would claim to NOT know who someone was, when he did,  as a way to say that someone, was a nobody.

But it appears Sgt is truly ignorant of these people.     

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Whiteside would claim to NOT know who someone was, when he did,  as a way to say that someone, was a nobody.

But it appears Sgt is truly ignorant of these people.     

Ah, geez...can't we have a little fun here and allow the time honored trait of being sometimes a curmudgeon to exist? I think the world would be a very sad place if we had to have everybody like and approve of all the same people and nary a snide, arch and sarcastic remark could be made. Next we can ban all the Fieldsian digs in films that are rather underhanded and not kindly. I cry foul on your belief that Sheridan Whiteside would be the Mr. Rogers of his day, particularly since he seems to be a lot like Alexander Woolcott, who rarely worried about the effect of his stinging words on anyone, since they were always applied with a deft comedic hand. I find Sgt. Markoff's retorts so refreshing amongst a sea of groupthink seen now in the world. A world without Richard Haydn or Clifton Webb types to shake things up with their singular effete opinions is a world not worth living in for those with a love of sophisticated revelry sometimes laced with acid.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings