Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What a big let-down!

slaytonf

Here was all this build-up to tonite.  All the mystery to heighten anticipation of what we'd see.  Something new, fresh, provoking, engaging.  And whaddo we get?  After a couple of snippies not even worth the title of appetizer, one of war-horsiest of war-horses, My Fair Lady (1964)!  How pathetic.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, slaytonf said:

Here was all this build-up to tonite.  All the mystery to heighten anticipation of what we'd see.  Something new, fresh, provoking, engaging.  And whaddo we get?  After a couple of snippies not even worth the title of appetizer, one of war-horsiest of war-horses, My Fair Lady (1964)!  How pathetic.

Yeah, I know, huh slayton!

(...and here I too had earlier hoped we'd all maybe Lerner something this evening, but instead just to be laid Loewe!)

• Haha 4

My goodness, what short memories people have!  Anyone remembered when TCM presented the restored version of "My Fair Lady" along with the 1994 documentary back in 2014? I still have it on VHS.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3nhio6

Super Panavision 70 before it was dropped for digital was a very expensive format.  Learned from a theft at a theatre that was showing "Star Wars Episode I", a SINGLE 20 min reel was valued at $30,000!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQCKCo5H5Uc0B2pysNwSu

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkswEBgAAHU9hS9xF4LKQ

somerville-projector.jpeg

• Like 1

I don't quite fathom the obsession with TCM schedules or TCM programming. The way I look at it is this: you have a television set. You walk over and turn it on. The screen either comes on or it doesn't. If images appear, you change the channel to TCM. TCM either appears or it doesn't. If it doesn't appear, you turn the set off and go find something else to do. Right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I don't quite fathom the obsession with TCM schedules or TCM programming. The way I look at it is this: you have a television set. You walk over and turn it on. The screen either comes on or it doesn't. If images appear, you change the channel to TCM. TCM either appears or it doesn't. If it doesn't appear, you turn the set off and go find something else to do. Right?

Well there could be something scheduled someone might want to record otherwise you're correct.  Channel selector seems to be an outdated function. :wacko:

Directv shows on it's Program Guide what TCM will present during the next 36 hours.  Last night all it showed was "Movie".  A few other channels has done that before.

What's with that Vietnam documentary, there's Newsmax, NGC, Military Channel for that. :huh:

3 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

OH, you mean somethin' like maybe then signing into your computer and going to the TCM website boards?

And, where you can then hopefully find openings in threads for puns and other bits of questionable humor that sometimes hit their mark, but many times don't?

(...hmmm...never thought of this before...might have to try this sometime)

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Are you saying you only post when your set is on the fritz? Call your local serviceman if your set needs repair

Nah, I'll sometimes do this even when my TV set is workin' JUST fine, Sarge.

But, I've noticed it DOES tend to be more likely during a time when TCM is showing a flick I've already seen 'em show half a dozen times or more.

(...or maybe you haven't been around long enough to remember that one night when they once again showed Northwest by Northwest and I filled up the WHOLE first page of this General Discussion forum with all of these little freakin' bon mots of mine!!!) ;)

LOL

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Some of us live to watch only old movies with all the performers in it being dead, Sgt. and I'm surprised you don't know that by now. I can't even watch TWOO because some say Toto is being kept alive somewhere in a laboratory and I only enjoy movies knowing that everyone involved in it is no longer viable. Can't you tell when someone is touting the box office figures for every movie they mention here and they are chatting about what Rona Barrett once said that they are hibernating in a cabin not unlike the Unabomber's but with cable or direct tv still attached? Now I know that I have no life outside my tv so yes, that TCM schedule better be right as I plan my evenings and when to go to bed on the schedule following through exactly as it is printed.

On 12/12/2018 at 9:53 PM, RBG FAN said:

In every TV guide, including my cable DVR guide, it just said "Movie." Good thing I know about this site. Otherwise I would not have a clue, nor would my DVR. Hello TCM! Plan in advance ... as always.

Well, on this occasion, they COULDN'T say in advance, because the films that made the Registry weren't announced until that morning. I feel like TCM certainly must have had some advance knowledge, however. The lineup I feel surely was already planned but just couldn't be announced until the day of.

14 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I don't quite fathom the obsession with TCM schedules or TCM programming.

Extraordinary as this will apparently seem to you, some people decide to whether or not to watch TCM on a given day or night based on advance knowledge of what's going to be shown!

I spent that non-specific all "movie" listed evening watching mostly PBS reruns and a delightful little interview by Christiane Amanpour with Dick Cavett.
Well, PBS did air something "new" later that night titled "Letters From Baghdad."
https://www.pbs.org/video/letters-from-baghdad-a8izsw/

I had not pre-informed myself about it so, based on the title, I assumed it was going to be about something relatively recent (i.e. letters from soldiers written during the last 2 decades). To my surprise it was a more distant history lesson going back over 100 years.
It was presented ala Ken Burns' style with old photos and "movies" of the period accompanied by voice actors reading the words of various historical figures, centering on the journal of a young, affluent, well educated, and quite atypically adventurous, late Victorian era British lass (Gertrude Bell) who began traveling in the middle east at a young age, learned Arabic (and maybe Farsi too?), became enamored with the various Arab cultures, and encountered a host of notable personages (including T.E. Lawrence himself).
Evidently her forward thinking attitude and influence endeared her to many of the local tribes while stirring up distrust in the old Ottoman Empire, who considered her a British spy.
Because of her accumulated vast Middle East knowledge, as WW1 approached, she (not unlike T.E.) was eventually put to work in the British Foreign Affairs Office, but (because she was a woman) most of the places to which she was assigned undervalued her and didn't quite know how to best employ her talents.
She lost the love of her life (a British rover, whom she had met earlier in her ramblings, but whom was locked in a loveless marriage to another) during the failed effort at Gallipoli in 1915. His loss Left her devoted to the one thing that they had shared and mutually loved, the Middle East.
Like Lawrence, she was an early advocate for an independent Arab State, and both during and after WW1, her empathetic understanding of the various ethnic and religious cultures (including Arab and Jewish populations) made her a "trusted" mediator among many of the indigenous people and a growing necessity for the British Empire.
The British had realized early on that transitioning from coal to oil would be essential to fuel their merchant fleets and the navy providing security for their massive empire, and that oil was plentiful in the middle east.
So, when the "allied powers" gained post war "control" in the region, as "liberators from Turkish rule," they promptly began carving up the area to best suit their purposes. The goal was the establishment of loyal "vassal" kingdoms who would allow "perpetual" access to their most highly valued and as yet under exploited commodity... oil!
Along with creating "Saudi" Arabia (and a host of smaller Arab "states") they also gave birth to Iraq.  
So this woman, with the "best of intentions," used (and was used by) all parties involved; and (in this historical retrospective) can rightfully be called a "founding father" (or mother) of the "modern" Middle East.

I switched back and forth between watching PBS and TCM that night, so I caught a couple of the Leonard Maltin & co-host intro's-outro's and realized that the "evening theme" was "Movies, shorts, newsreels, and documentaries" inducted into the multi-media portion of the Library of Congress. And learned that the LOC is providing FREE streaming access to a growing list of these titles.
So, despite the TCM repeats (or perhaps because of them) the evening turned out to NOT be "such a big letdown" for me after all. :)

I re-watched part of the "Monterey Pop" (1968) documentary (which took me back in a nostalgically happy way) and also part of the  Vietnam War documentary "Hearts and Minds" (1974), which also took me back, but not in a happy way....

How to Stream Free Movies From The Library of Congress
https://lifehacker.com/how-to-stream-free-movies-from-the-library-of-congress-1829985655

Library of Congress National Screening Room
https://www.loc.gov/collections/national-screening-room/

• Thanks 1

some time ago, sewhite expostulated:

Extraordinary as this will apparently seem to you, some people decide to whether or not to watch TCM on a given day or night based on advance knowledge of what's going to be shown!

It is indeed, mystifying behaviour. How do you know whether the advanced-knowledge is correct? What happens if the information is missing, or in error? And why would you make a life-decision based on such second-hand intel? If it fails to prove out, what then becomes your next recourse (do you then follow the 'Plan B' I hypothesized)?

Me,  no. I can't imagine letting the course of my day become determined by a piece of paper some faceless corporate minion drew up, at a thousand miles remove from me.

It's similar to taking a bus in the city. I notice some pedestrians showing up at the bus stop and diligently scrutinizing the schedule posted (posted perhaps six months prior) on the nearby sidewalk pole. They want to know if they have to wait five more minutes for the next bus, or if they have to wait ten more minutes for the next bus.

Ludicrous!  To me, the only question is whether the bus is coming or not. Never when its coming. I know I must take it whenever it arrives, as its the only means of getting home. :)

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

some time ago, sewhite expostulated:

It is indeed, mystifying behaviour. How do you know whether the advanced-knowledge is correct? What happens if the information is missing, or in error? And why would you make a life-decision based on such second-hand intel? If it fails to prove out, what then becomes your next recourse (do you then follow the 'Plan B' I hypothesized)?

Me,  no. I can't imagine letting the course of my day become determined by a piece of paper some faceless corporate minion drew up, at a thousand miles remove from me.

It's similar to taking a bus in the city. I notice some pedestrians showing up at the bus stop and diligently scrutinizing the schedule posted (posted perhaps six months prior) on the nearby sidewalk pole. They want to know if they have to wait five more minutes for the next bus, or if they have to wait ten more minutes for the next bus.

Ludicrous!  To me, the only question is whether the bus is coming or not. Never when its coming. I know I must take it whenever it arrives, as its the only means of getting home. :)

We're comparing TCM to a bus? Now I've read it all on this message board! :) 

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings