Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2019


jakeem
 Share

Recommended Posts

Not a bad group of performers!

  • The Cure
  • Def Leppard
  • Janet Jackson
  • Stevie Nicks
  • Radiohead
  • Roxy Music
  • The Zombies

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2018/12/13/rock-hall-finally-got-right-thanks-its-2019-class/2289936002/

My favorite inductee is the first woman to be elected to the Hall as a band member (Fleetwood Mac, 1998) and as a solo act:

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The British group Roxy Music was fronted in the 1970s and 1980s by Bryan Ferry, who also excelled as a solo singer and songwriter. Another founding member of the group was Brian Eno, who became a prolific recording artist and music producer.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The key figure in The Cure is its co-founder Robert Smith, a versatile musician who also serves as the lead vocalist. His goth appearance reportedly inspired Tim Burton to create the look for Johnny Depp's character in the 1990 film "Edward Scissorhands." 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Earlier today, a wag on Twitter declared that "Def Leppard recorded the same song for 30 years." The British heavy metal band hasn't been that bad, but their tunes -- especially the ones from the 1980s -- are easily recognizable to music fans.

Drummer Rick Allen lost his left arm as the result of a New Year's Eve auto accident in 1984, but he continues to be an important member of the group.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmm let's see if I have any thoughts on these:

The Cure - Friday I'm In Love - many may hear this song, even if they don't know the band.  The first 30 seconds is upbeat and commonly used for radio station bumper music in various markets.

Def Leppard - Quintessential 1980s arena rock.  As you mentioned, the drummer lost an arm in an accident and has played on an adapted drum kit ever since.  I think they saw most of their big fame after this happened.

Stevie Nicks - I grew up on Fleetwood Mac too.  AOR/listenable albums.

The Zombies - Right on.  Another group I grew up with.  There isn't a British/Mersey Beat group I don't at least listen to if it comes on.

Not as familiar with the others, though the names and probably their music might ring a bell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Janet Jackson was the youngest child in a world-renowned musical family, but she certainly made her own way to the top as a recording artist, dancer and actress. Her music videos often rivaled those of her older brother Michael when it came to energy and production values.

The 1990 video for "Alright" featured appearances by Cab Calloway, Cyd Charisse and The Nicholas Brothers. The great choreographer Michael Kidd also contributed to the 1940s movie tribute.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The alt-rock British band Radiohead -- fronted by the lead singer and songwriter Thom Yorke -- gained attention in the early 1990s with the song "Creep." They were later sued by the songwriters of The Hollies' hit "The Air That I Breathe." Years later, the band sued the onetime YouTube singing sensation Lana Del Rey for using "Creep" without permission.

The band took its name from "Radio Head," a song on the 1986 Talking Heads album "True Stories."

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Hmm let's see if I have any thoughts on these:

The Cure - Friday I'm In Love - many may hear this song, even if they don't know the band.  The first 30 seconds is upbeat and commonly used for radio station bumper music in various markets.

Boy, you hit that one right on the nail!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Boy, you hit that one right on the nail!

 

To bring your thoughts on The Cure and Edward Scissorhands full circle, national talk radio host Clyde Lewis uses some of Danny Elfman's music from Edward Scissorhands to pad the top of each hour, just before the hard break, which sounds good (almost too good!) and is easy enough to talk over.  No connections there...

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Hmm let's see if I have any thoughts on these:

The Cure - Friday I'm In Love - many may hear this song, even if they don't know the band.  The first 30 seconds is upbeat and commonly used for radio station bumper music in various markets.

 

and also made a memorable appearance in the 2013 Brit film About Time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

Janet Jackson was the youngest child in a world-renowned musical family, but she certainly made her own way to the top as a recording artist, dancer and actress. Her music videos often rivaled those of her older brother Michael when it came to energy and production values.

She did have the Jacko moves, for large Thriller-like group choreography:

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jakeem said:

I also like The Zombies, a British Invasion group with a mellow sound. The keyboard player was Rod Argent, who later had a No. 5 '70s hit -- "Hold Your Head Up" -- with the eponymously named rock group Argent.

 

Speaking of l'argent this group deserves mega bucks for the iconic album Odyssey and Oracle. Colin Blunstone is an amazing singer with hits like Time of the Season and so on. Glad to see them make the grade finally.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

She did have the Jacko moves, for large Thriller-like group choreography:

And she and Michael proved they weren't the same person when they did the music video for "Scream" together in 1995. The joint venture won a Grammy for Best Music Video, Short Form.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Hey, I actually recognize them all. Whoever winds up in the Hall, my favorites would be

Roxy Music and Radiohead.

No, it's official. The seven artists and/or groups will be inducted into the Hall of Fame on March 29, 2019 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. HBO traditionally airs an edited version of the event months later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

No, it's official. The seven artists and/or groups will be inducted into the Hall of Fame on March 29, 2019 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. HBO traditionally airs an edited version of the event months later.

My mistake. I didn't read it carefully enough plus my mind is a little scrambled by the one and

only Christmas trip I made to the mall today. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jakeem said:

The British group Roxy Music was fronted in the 1970s and 1980s by Bryan Ferry, who also excelled as a solo singer and songwriter. Another founding member of the group was Brian Eno, who became a prolific recording artist and music producer.

 

About bloody time.  Notwithstanding having only one top 40 American hit, one of the most important rock bands.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, RBG FAN said:

I must be getting old. I either don't know (or don't want to know) these people.

With one sixties artists, two seventies-eighties artists, three eighties artists and one nineties artist, I'm thinking you may not like this type of music.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

   Def Leppard - Sure. They were really big in the eighties

   Stevie Nicks - Well, she did have some hits on her own. And the rock industry didn't really give women many chances so okay I say yes.

   Roxy Music - I'm a fan so I'm biased. They were experimental and very influential so I would definitely put them in.

   Radiohead - I don't know their music so I can't comment. I know the one song "creep" is good.

   The Cure -  They recorded during my adolescence so I know them well. But, I would love to know which rock stations played their music during the 80's. Normally, I had to tune into college stations or the one station with an alternative format. Now, all of a sudden they are main stream :lol:

   The Zombies - One hit, one good album they didn't even tour to support. Odyssey and Oracle has benefited by revisionist history. As good as it is, think about how many "great" albums were being recorded at the same time.

   I really don't have much respect for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Its basically "If you played CBGB's in the 70's, or if you're a good friend of the head of Rolling Stone magazine, you're in."

   This actual hall is of minimal interest. Why do you think the hall is in Cleveland yet, the show is in NYC ? Because they are afraid that if it were held in Cleveland, the A- listers wouldn't show up. Its all about the show getting ratings, hence the inclusion of Janet Jackson, who has nothing to do with rock and roll.

  Too many great bands had to wait while mediocre pop stars get elected. But, I am normally very strict when it comes to any hall of fame. I don't normally watch the show. Also, do you notice, the feuds among former bandmates tend to get more coverage than the act. Too much drama and not enough about the music.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

   Def Leppard - Sure. They were really big in the eighties

   Stevie Nicks - Well, she did have some hits on her own. And the rock industry didn't really give women many chances so okay I say yes.

   Roxy Music - I'm a fan so I'm biased. They were experimental and very influential so I would definitely put them in.

   Radiohead - I don't know their music so I can't comment. I know the one song "creep" is good.

   The Cure -  They recorded during my adolescence so I know them well. But, I would love to know which rock stations played their music during the 80's. Normally, I had to tune into college stations or the one station with an alternative format. Now, all of a sudden they are main stream :lol:

   The Zombies - One hit, one good album they didn't even tour to support. Odyssey and Oracle has benefited by revisionist history. As good as it is, think about how many "great" albums were being recorded at the same time.

Well said, but I believe you shorted The Zombies a couple of hits.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...