Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ann Sheridan / Sheridan Whiteside

TopBilled

2 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Anne Shirley plays "Anne of Green Gables" (1934)

Thanks. Yes, I think she had been billed as Dawn O'Day prior to her lead role in that film. I guess she identified with the character so much, she wanted to make the name her own!

Her given name was Dawn Paris.

9 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Jane Powell took the stage name Jane Powell from the character she played in the film Song of The Open Road. The character's name was Jane Powell. Jane's real name was Suzanne Lorraine Burce.

Interesting. I didnt know this. (I figured it wasnt her real name, of course).

19 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

Dick Powell played a Private Dick in Murder, My Sweet  ... oh wait, I guess that doesn't count. Never mind.

I was about to say Jack Nicholson played Jack Torrance in The Shining, when I remembered the thread was about actresses (but see how I snuck it in there, anyway?).

• Haha 1

In the movie "Separate Tables", Gladys Cooper and Cathleen Nesbitt have several scenes of dialogue with each other.  Nesbitt's character in the film is Lady Gladys Matheson.  The scene where Cooper's character is trying to engineer the ouster of David Niven's character from the hotel struck me the last time I watched this picture.  It went something like, "Don't worry about that now Gladys, we'll inform Mrs. Cooper of our decision later."  Pat Cooper, the hotel's owner, was the name of the character played by Wendy Hiller.  I thought it was potentially funny and confusing for all the principles in the picture, especially if director Delbert Mann gave instruction by starting with, "Here's how I want you to play this scene, Gladys..." and both Nesbitt and Cooper would respond with "OK" simultaneously!  (Or, he could have said, "Now Miss Cooper..." and both Gladys and Wendy said "Yes" at the same time).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

There are two Sheridans under one roof at Christmas. 

Screen-Shot-2018-12-13-at-1.55.50-PM.jpg

The great British theater/film writer/critic/historian Sheridan Morley was a friend of mine. Sheridan M. was named for Sheridan Whiteside, the role his father Robert Morley played in London, in the original London production of The Man Who Came to Dinner. Sheridan Morley's mother was the daughter of Gladys Cooper.

• Like 3

Byron Barr has one line in TMWCTD, uncredited, asking Bette Davis, "How's the ice?". Later he was cast in THE GAY SISTERS as a character named Gig Young. He adopted that as his professional name, used in dozens of feature film and television roles, and won the Academy Award as Best Supporting Actor in 1969 for THE SHOOT HORSES DON'T THEY.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Evelyn Keyes plays a woman named Bette Logan in HERE COMES MR. JORDAN (1941). Besides Bette Davis (whose real first name was Ruth), did other women use the name Bette at that time?

Yeah! My Aunt Elizabeth did. And a wonderful old gal she was, I might add. Bless her soul.

(...well, you didn't specifically say "actress" here, now did ya, TB?!) ;)

• Haha 1

This will seem a bit obvious, but Monty Woolley plays a character named 'Monty Woolley' in NIGHT AND DAY, the Cole Porter biopic starring Cary Grant. In that role, he has a short scene commenting how he's off to Hollywood to play in something called THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER. (As the role originated on stage, it's one more fabulist detail in that film biography.)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

This will seem a bit obvious, but Monty Woolley plays a character named 'Monty Woolley' in NIGHT AND DAY, the Cole Porter biopic starring Cary Grant. In that role, he has a short scene commenting how he's off to Hollywood to play in something called THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER. (As the role originated on stage, it's one more fabulist detail in that film biography.)

This would be a good primetime double feature on TCM. Start with NIGHT AND DAY, then follow it up with a broadcast of THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER.

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

This would be a good primetime double feature on TCM. Start with NIGHT AND DAY, then follow it up with a broadcast of THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER.

I missed Woolley's SUTS day last August. That might have induced me to watch it.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings