Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Were Annapolis Grads in the '30s Really Forbidden from Marriage for Two Years by Federal Law?

sewhite2000

So says Shipmates Forever. I feel this was no longer the case by the time WWII broke out, and there were all those movies about people suddenly getting married before they shipped off. Congressional law prevented you from marrying for two years? You committed a federal crime if you were a Navy Academy graduate who got married? Someone who knows more about this than me enlighten me.

2 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Holy crap, that was fast! (Can I say crap on the message boards? We're about to find out) Thanks, Dargo! Guess this actually was the case!

You're welcome.

(...and btw...yes, you CAN say "crap" on these boards, but in an ironic twist, I understand such talk is still frowned upon while one is an undergraduate plebe at the U.S. Naval Academy)

;)

• Haha 1

The concept of marriage is a failure as it openly invites the public into one’s personal affairs – rule of thumb (the lawful beating of a wife), prenuptial agreements, infidelity, scandal, divorce, palimony, etc. aptly reveal the shortcomings of the "legal" marriage concept.

I firmly believe the public and its laws have no place in “governing” the personal affairs between individuals.

• Haha 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings