Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The year's best Christmas commercial

jakeem

Since 2007, the British department store chain John Lewis & Partners has earned a well-deserved reputation for its annual Christmas commericials. Anybody remember the award-winning Buster the Boxer ad from two years ago?

This year's commercial is titled "The Boy and the Piano." It's very poignant -- even though John Lewis doesn't sell pianos.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was wondering if this (captain) fantastic (sorry, couldn't resist)commercial might perhaps be part of the upcoming Rocketman movie, the biopic of Elton John due to be released sometime mid-2019?

And btw, while certainly not as nice a production as the above commercial, so far my favorite commercial this holiday season has been this one...

(...but probably because this dog is just SO damn cute)

Wow thanks for making this thread. Just like declining department stores, I just don't watch TV anymore and see no commercials.

The Elton John one is DEFINITELY a teaser for the upcoming biopic. I've been following EJ since he first hit America in 1970. Everything shown looks accurate, giving me hope it will be good.

I really liked the Ran-tan one too. Wonder why it was banned? There's no Orans in Iceland but it certainly brought my attention to boycott palm oil.

• Like 1

Thanks jakeem, I was really impressed with how much the actors resemble the real people. Elton (Reggie) as a little boy looked just like that and Elton's Mom looked like that at the time too. I always felt Elton was a chip off the block concerning his Mum. (she was a fashion designer/interior decorator and absolutely gave him his flamboyant artistic sensibility) I actually grieved awhile upon learning of her passing, as if I knew her.

I thought whomever played 70's-80's Elton looked fantastic too. Oh, apparently they used appliances to replicate his facial features. And the iconic Bob Mackie (stadium) costume & Nudie Suit (cowboy) costume were 100% correct. Uh oh, I'm an Elton John nerd.

Eric mentioned a British commercial:

"Still, as foreign Christmas commercials go, they have a long way to beat the classic:"

By "classic", I hope he meant the original animated film, and not the commercial upon which it is based.

I don't know how many people here are familiar with the original this commercial is based on. It's one of my favourite Christmas videos, even though it's quite short ( I think less than half an hour.) It's called The Snowman, and it's based on a children's book by celebrated children's author and illustrator (at least by those who know their children's books) Raymond Briggs.

This animated little film perfectly captures the spirit of the original book. Both are exceptionally moving, magical, and uplifting, as all good books for young children should be. I own a copy of The Snowman (the film) and watch it every year around this time with my family. We all love it. It has to be one of the sweetest, gentlest, most imaginative children's Christmas animated shorts ever made. And the part in the film where the song that this commercial uses, taken from the original film, occurs,  almost brings me to tears every time I hear it. 

I'm kind of sorry it was made into a commercial. Oh well....

Here's the original . Hope someone takes the time to watch it. It's one of the best Christmas cartoons ever made.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

After watching the Rang-tan commercial dubbed as banned in Iceland...I took it to mean that it was produced in Iceland and deemed inappropriate to air in other countries.  Icelandic people are seen (by me, anyway) to be geared toward sustainable lifestyles, and for the most part, very environmentally conscious.  If I'm wrong, I'll apologize in advance, but maybe the tagline should have said 'banned from Iceland', rather than 'in'?

1 hour ago, midwestan said:

After watching the Rang-tan commercial dubbed as banned in Iceland...I took it to mean that it was produced in Iceland and deemed inappropriate to air in other countries.  Icelandic people are seen (by me, anyway) to be geared toward sustainable lifestyles, and for the most part, very environmentally conscious.  If I'm wrong, I'll apologize in advance, but maybe the tagline should have said 'banned from Iceland', rather than 'in'?

I believe you might be right here, midwestan. All I can find on the net is that this ad has been banned in the U.K., and for the following reason:

"...regulators said the film is actually a repurposed Greenpeace video and deemed to have breached political impartiality rules. Regulators declare that Iceland’s 2018 Christmas commercial was in breach of rules laid down by the 2003 Communications Act that stipulate that a promotional campaign is prohibited if it is “directed towards a political end”."

Gotta say though that in way I kind'a wish WE had some of these same kind'a rules, and not so much to inhibit commercials like THIS from being shown here, but really more because, well, I'M REALLY FREAKING TIRED OF HAVING TO USE THE DAMN MUTE BUTTON ON MY TV'S REMOTE STARTING ABOUT EVERY 6 MONTHS BEFORE EVERY FREAKIN' ELECTION NOW DAYS, AND WHEN CANDIDATES AND THEIR FREAKIN' P.A.C.s START RUNNIN' ALL THOSE INSULTING AND MIND-NUMBINGLY NEGATIVES ADS OF THEIRS!!!!

(...but other than that, I sure hope you have a great Christmas this year and filled with pleasant little television commercials, and hopefully featuring cute as hell dogs like the one in the commercial I posted earlier in this thread) ;)

LOL 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Thanks jakeem, I was really impressed with how much the actors resemble the real people. Elton (Reggie) as a little boy looked just like that and Elton's Mom looked like that at the time too. I always felt Elton was a chip off the block concerning his Mum. (she was a fashion designer/interior decorator and absolutely gave him his flamboyant artistic sensibility) I actually grieved awhile upon learning of her passing, as if I knew her.

I thought whomever played 70's-80's Elton looked fantastic too. Oh, apparently they used appliances to replicate his facial features. And the iconic Bob Mackie (stadium) costume & Nudie Suit (cowboy) costume were 100% correct. Uh oh, I'm an Elton John nerd.

Thanks for the background on Sir Elton's mother. I wonder if the "Rocketman" movie will focus on their relationship.

It took me a while to figure out that the commercial hadn't de-aged him through CGI. The upcoming "Captain Marvel" film does exactly that for Samuel L. Jackson as a 1990s version of Nick Fury.

Related image

LOWE'S has one that bugs me.....

A wide-eyed little kid walks up to the Lowe's employee and cutely says, "I wanna get my Daddy something he'll really, REALLY love for Christmas."

The employee walks over to a display saying, "Well, if it was MY Dad, THIS is what I'D get him."  and shows the kid an item in a cylindrical shaped package  that we can't tell what it is,  and it cuts to Christmas morning with the kid excitedly insisting that his Dad open HIS gift to him, and upon opening, we see him looking at the item and saying that he "really, really loves" it.  But,  we STILL never see just WHAT THE HELL IT IS!  :angry:

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings