Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mockery premieres tonight

MOCKERY is a film I have never seen before. I think they scored this one just because it has Lon Chaney, and is there-about's complete. While other Chaney's like ROAD TO MANDALAY, and WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS are missing a reel or two each. Though both of those may be better movies.

Wow! MOCKERY was pretty impressive. Chaney with one of his great performances, maybe ever! Barbara Bedford was elegant and gracefully beautiful in her every movement. She actually looked Russian in the film. I have seen Bedford before in BROTHERS, and maybe a couple other features, but the titles escape me at the moment. Ricardo Cortez was dashing and Handsome as the Captain of the guard.. The photography, and direction by Benjamin Christensen were both first rate. .

I actually liked this allot better, than several of Lon's better known films. Most of the print was pristine, a terrific restoration. James Schafer's score was superb. Couldn't have been much better, and a big improvement over BEAU BRUMMEL in my opinion. I left completely scratching my head over those who had seen this film and said they were not impressed with it???? I certainly do not agree! Thank you very much TCM for this Top notch MGM Silent Premier! You really chose a Winner this time! and lets keep the gifted young Mr. Schafer around to score a few more if we can!

I think the film is another example of how someone's score actually keeps me interested in the film, whereas otherwise I would tend to nod off. James' score was truly excellent, seamless, appropriate for the action, and very pretty.

I couldn't understand if the film was supposed to be a drama or a comedy so I was a bit confused and that hampered my overall enjoyment of it.

But still, kudos to TCM for preparing and scoring another silent film -- it's been TOO LONG!

> {quote:title=goldensilents wrote:}{quote}

> But still, kudos to TCM for preparing and scoring another silent film -- it's been TOO LONG!

How long is too long? This is the fourth TCM premiere of a silent film this year -- after BEAU BRUMMEL, BIG STAKES, and THE WHITE SISTER.

coffeedan,

Actually, BEAU BRUMMEL was on last year. January of 2008. However, I would be remiss not to point out that TCM did run the premier's of the Photoplay Productions versions of both ORPHANS OF THE STORM, and THE GODLESS GIRL very late last year. THE BLOT may have also been a Premier? As was Chaney's THE BLACKBIRD that ran at the end of October 2008.

In addition, The Road Show version of THE KING OF KINGS which aired in April of this year was a TCM premier as well. They had previously only shown the shortened sound re-issue that was broadcast again last week.Let us not forget the brand new restoration of Douglas Fairbanks THE MARK OF ZORRO which debuted in Prime-time a couple months ago either.And we have likewise forgotten Victor Seastrom's THE PHANTOM CARRIAGE, a film not even on DVD yet in this country, only in Sweden.

In reality, that is quite a few new Silents in less than a years time. I suspect that for some people it might be more a case of TCM not running the new Silent that they have really been waiting for, than their not running a new Silent. I am as guilty as anyone, longing for HER WILD OAT, LILAC TIME, THE FAIR CO-ED, and FORBIDDEN HOURS, just to name a few.

SRHall,

I have a copy, but it is mediocre print. As far as I know TCM hasn't run the picture yet. However, THE DEVILS CIRCUS seems like a highly likely prospect for TCM to have scored ahead of allot of other Warner's owned Silents. Since it has Norma Shearer. They have had both LADY OF THE NIGHT, and A LADY OF CHANCE scored in recent years. and it is probably more complete than MIDNIGHT, and a better movie too.

Opinion is oddly divided on MOCKERY. This guy Frank Fay who I do not know, on Nitrateville did not like it at all? Meantime, I found it surprisingly good. Read this boggling review?

http://nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?t=3918

Ed,

Actually, I already had a copy of THE DEVILS CIRCUS from Aaron several months before I got yours. Probably back in 2007. But it was on VHS. Actually, the print isn't bad at all, it is just a blow average recording. I think both orginated from Peter Kavel? Have you seen the movie at all? What was it about? Interested to hear your impression of MOCKERY too?

Hey, both of these films were apparently lost at one time? When THE PARADES GONE BY was published in 1968, there was a quote that none of Benjamin Christensen American films had been known to survive? Don't forget to watch THE CIRCLE, since you have been on the Borzage kick of late. Did you ever watch THE RIVER reconstruction?

Beau Brummel was a year and a half ago and there has been no return of the Young Composer Contest since, to help encourage new scoring talent to come forward. Big Stakes was a minor B movie that put me to sleep. The White SIster I had already seen and have a much nicer copy than what was shown on TCM America.

I want to see Lillian's and Marion's much more interesting MGM silents get scores and new broadcasts. That would truly impress me. Or they could air some silents they haven't aired in over ten years, which would be like new broadcasts to most people.

And they could certainly stop taking two to three months out of each year where Silent Sunday Nights are discontinued for weeks, to make way for Oscar month, Summer Stars, etc.

Jill,

Lillian Gish is just fine. And I love Marion Davies. But above all else I most want to see HER WILD OAT! We need to get some Colleen Moore films on TCM at long last! The restoration is supposed to be fantastic! I have some stills and a couple three posters for this movie that I will try and look up.

FMC plays The Power and the Glory with her and Spence and she gives a great performance in that, but of course it's a sound picture.

You'd think TCM would occasionally play Colleen's The Scarlet Letter. Yes it doesn't compare to Lillian's but some people might like it. And it's public domain so there is no legal reason not to show it. Weird.

If only, if only Robert Osborne could interview Lon Chaney, what would he ask?

Thanks TCM for another rare beauty and for contestants on the future game show Name That Silent Film Composer, Mr. Schafer's scores are recognizable and distinguished by his own meticulous style. Very nice! The Russian Revolution would have been handled very differently by another director but this was a small study of friendship, loyalty and human nature, attractively directed though with some problems with congruency- still great, glad it survives, time is tidal rather than linear and who knows where music goes once it's created, a song can refine our authentic times, I guess:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNQCeAWlTV0

Yep, just one name at a time, no tricks, no collective or large affable extended family. And I did enjoy MOCKERY, a straightforward story, outcast archetype, poor Sergei- those scoundrels. It's all things Chaplin for me on vacation though, new bios, films and hope to find a copy of THE SEAGULL (Edna Purviance) somewhere.