Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chaplain in The Naked and the Dead

Flamengo

Who played the chaplain in the movie "The Naked and the Dead"?  His character name was Father Leary.  Sam Croft (Aldo Ray ) walked into the clearing where they were making moonshine.  He told Gallagher  ( Richard Jaeckel ) that the chaplain wanted to see him.  Gallagher walked to another part of the camp, and a man came out of a green tent and started talking to him.  Gallagher addressed him as Father Leary.  Father Leary told Gallagher that his wife had died during childbirth.  The "Father Leary" character does not appear to be credited on IMDB.

1 minute ago, Flamengo said:

I mistakenly posted this topic twice.  Can anyone tell me how to remove one of the duplicate posts?

Users can't.  Sometimes the moderate will;    You can 'report' your own post and in the 'comments' mention it is a duplicate and the mod might delete it for you.  

23 hours ago, Flamengo said:

Who played the chaplain in the movie "The Naked and the Dead"?  His character name was Father Leary.  Sam Croft (Aldo Ray ) walked into the clearing where they were making moonshine.  He told Gallagher  ( Richard Jaeckel ) that the chaplain wanted to see him.  Gallagher walked to another part of the camp, and a man came out of a green tent and started talking to him.  Gallagher addressed him as Father Leary.  Father Leary told Gallagher that his wife had died during childbirth.  The "Father Leary" character does not appear to be credited on IMDB.

Not even the AFI Catalog credits the actor. This is all the information I could find. According to "Hollywood Unknowns: A History of Extras, Bit Players, and Stand-Ins", by Anthony Slide, many former GIs were hired in bit roles, and an unidentified civilian played the chaplain:

I can't paste the link to the page of the book; here's the search result using Google:

Anthony Slide - 2012 - ‎Performing Arts

The Naked and the Dead (1958) was shot on location in Panama, standing in for a ... to bit roles, as did a Canal Zone civilian who will be seen as a chaplain.

If he had some lines in an important scene, I wonder why he isn't credited.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Arsan404 said:

The Naked and the Dead (1958) was shot on location in Panama, standing in for a ... to bit roles, as did a Canal Zone civilian who will be seen as a chaplain.

If he had some lines in an important scene, I wonder why he isn't credited.

Perhaps it's because he was not a member of the Screen Actors Guild. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all who provided information.  The guy (Chaplain ) did a very good job, but there was something strange about him.  I think it was that he might not have been a traditional actor.  I had not seen him before this movie and haven't seen him since.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings