Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Are Kirk Douglas and Olivia de Havilland Verging On Being the Oldest Film Stars In History?

TomJH

As far as stars go, yes they probably are the oldest or verging on it. As far as people involved in American film? Doris Eaton, who had a few small roles and cameos in the early sound era, lived to be 106. She could still demonstrate her dancing style past age 100. Frederica Sagor Maas, a screenwriter in both the silent and sound eras, lived to be 111 (1900 - 2012).

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TomJH said:

Kirk has survived a stroke, as well as a serious helicopter crash in which others were killed. They are bound to have an impact on a man's appearance.

Ah! So THIS would also explain why you can barely see that signature chin dimple of his anymore too, huh.

And whereas I once knew a guy who had NO chin dimple, but after HIS helicopter crash he ended up having one.

(...funny how life works out sometimes, ain't it)

Have to say, and while many of the other named actors and actresses mentioned in this thread are of course indeed worthy of mention for their talents and longevity, when it comes to the idea of those who are or were considered "A-list" stars during decades-long careers, and such as Kirk and Olivia had, I can not think of any other "stars" of their magnitude who ever made it to being centenarians.

(...and I might be wrong here, but I have a feeling that this was actually Tom's intent when he started this thread) 

53 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Have to say, and while many of the other named actors and actresses mentioned in this thread are of course indeed worthy of mention for their talents and longevity, when it comes to the idea of those who are or were considered "A-list" stars during decades-long careers, and such as Kirk and Olivia had, I can not think of any other "stars" of their magnitude who ever made it to being centenarians.

(...and I might be wrong here, but I have a feeling that this was actually Tom's intent when he started this thread) 

Actually, Dargo, you're right inasmuch as when I originally created this thread I did write "A" stars in the thread title but then decided to eliminate the "A", broadening those who could be included.

As far as the biggies are concerned, though, it appears that Luise Rainer, at 104, currently has the record as the oldest major film star, with Kirk and Olivia two years away from tying her.

Back in 2003 when Bob Hope died at 100 I guess he had the record at the time.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings