Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Horror movies that traumatize children

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps the most traumatic movies I saw in my monster-loving childhood were

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968) saw it about age 10, drive-in double or triple bill. It was the most realistic horror I had ever seen at that point. The plot aspect of the zombies possibly being our deceased friends or loved ones worked effectively on my little mind. I remember looking at my mom and 13 year old brother in the car and thinking, wow I won't turn my back on these guys again. I have only seen it a couple times since, it's still hard for me to watch because of these memories.

At about the same age I saw THE LAST MAN ON EARTH (1964) on TV a few times and it filled me with dread. "Morgan...we're coming to get you Morgan..." Like NOTLD, very realistic for me at the time. Vincent Price's wife becoming a victim of the vampiric plague, again the idea of a loved one becoming a monster was very unsettling and traumatic. The scenes with the dog...OMG so dreadful and depressing. I still don't ever want to see it again.

• Like 1
On 5/28/2021 at 8:05 PM, Phil Packer said:

Mine was Salem's Lot. Saw it when I was 9 and it freaked me out. But in a strange way it got me to like Horror films from then on. 

In other words, you were properly initiated! 

:) 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Some that freaked me out were TRILOGY OF TERROR, GARGOYLES, and of course the original DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK. Not traumatizing per se, because I grew up to write a lot of horror and supernatural material, but impactful for sure.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, mrzek said:

Some that freaked me out were TRILOGY OF TERROR, GARGOYLES, and of course the original DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK. Not traumatizing per se, because I grew up to write a lot of horror and supernatural material, but impactful for sure.

Those made for tv movies were pretty scary

I remember the weekly ones, maybe ABC movie of the week or something like that? If I searched, I could find it. There were definitely some creepy shows on at the time. And let's not talk about NIGHT GALLERY!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, mrzek said:

I remember the weekly ones, maybe ABC movie of the week or something like that? If I searched, I could find it. There were definitely some creepy shows on at the time. And let's not talk about NIGHT GALLERY!

Those were they. I remember they were later re-aired late at night, maybe to compete with Carson. 

Looking at the list, I recognize some, but I was very young then.  There were a few classic horror titles in that mix. I also remember several movies based around the Bermuda Triangle which were creepy, especially the one with the giant turtle that takes the guy underwater at the end. I need to revisit that movie.