Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

We're No Angels (1955) is the best Christmas movie ever.

I have to agree with Gershwin.  But the "best" of anything mentioned in this forum really just means it's the one the OP likes  the best.  But Christmas movies DO spark some of the liveliest conversations, on the forum or among any group of people.

What some people's favorite Christmas movie is might seem ridiculous to others.  Some having "favorite" Christmas movies that others don't and never considered "Christmas" movies.  And yet, they are some people's  "special" favorites.

And that's OK.  With all the choices available, we each can claim and personally enjoy seeing them during the holiday season.  

That said, why, since it starts off with GENE HACKMAN as POPEYE DOYLE dressed up as Santa on the verge of a DRUG BUST, isn't THE FRENCH CONNECTION listed among all the "Christmas fare" lists yet?  ;)

Sepiatone

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I have to agree with Gershwin.  But the "best" of anything mentioned in this forum really just means it's the one the OP likes  the best.  But Christmas movies DO spark some of the liveliest conversations, on the forum or among any group of people.

What some people's favorite Christmas movie is might seem ridiculous to others.  Some having "favorite" Christmas movies that others don't and never considered "Christmas" movies.  And yet, they are some people's  "special" favorites.

And that's OK.  With all the choices available, we each can claim and personally enjoy seeing them during the holiday season.  

That said, why, since it starts off with GENE HACKMAN as POPEYE DOYLE dressed up as Santa on the verge of a DRUG BUST, isn't THE FRENCH CONNECTION listed among all the "Christmas fare" lists yet?  ;)

Sepiatone

Part of the problem is people are conditioned to believe the works of certain studios, eras or directors are best. TCM's programming choices seem to perpetuate some of this.

Personally I think classic films are always up for re-examination and reappraisal. It's okay for a new generation of classic movie fans to like different classics and unlike the older more traditional choices.

• Like 1

wooo!

Don't be hating on ALDO RAY -- he was a gorgeous, sexy, adorable, hunk of a star who also did one of the greatest "film noirs" of all time, NIGHTFALL (1956), which was seriously ripped off in FARGO.

He's just as sexy as Robert Mitchum, but more than that, adorable.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
2 hours ago, papyrusbeetle said:

wooo!

Don't be hating on ALDO RAY -- he was a gorgeous, sexy, adorable, hunk of a star who also did one of the greatest "film noirs" of all time, NIGHTFALL (1956), which was seriously ripped off in FARGO.

He's just as sexy as Robert Mitchum, but more than that, adorable.

Big fan of Nightfall,  a first rate film noir,  and Ray gives a fine performance (as does Ann Bancroft).   But in some other films like Pat and Mike and The Marrying Kind (which were done back to back),   the character he plays in just annoying (especially The Marrying Kind).

But those were early in his career and he did go on to do fine work in films like The Naked and the Dead.

PS: I'm surprised by the use of the PC BS term 'hating on'.    That is only used by children.

13 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

PS: I'm surprised by the use of the PC BS term 'hating on'.    That is only used by children.

Oh, great....

Now that person will be right back to proclaim, "My bad!"  ;) 

And here is the FIRST place I've EVER  known ANYONE to claim they find ALDO RAY to be "sexy".  

I mean, I always did like Aldo in many of his flicks, but..."sexy"?  :huh:

Sepiatone

• Haha 1