Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

mary poppins returns

5 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

I seem to be in the minority lol. I went and saw it 2 days ago, and should be doing my review shortly. It requires a lot of prior preparation. 

I'm sure it does; your Disney reviews are very thorough.

I think that may be another reason I only rated it as enjoyable. I always have high expectations from Disney films.

It's glorious. It feels true to the legacy of the 1964 film, and for that matter has the same uninhibited joy of some of the great MGM musicals of the 40s and 50s.  Its exhilerating and wonderfully cast. I haven't seen too many films from 2018, but I would be shocked if anything supplants this from being my pick for the best film of last year.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I saw the film. It certainly is beautifully shot. As a fan of musicals,though, only two of the songs were memorable for me. "Trip A Little Light Fantastic", a catchy tune along with some nice choreography, and "A Cover Is Not A Book", a show-within-a-show number with some nifty rapping by Lin-Manuel Miranda. Overall, an enjoyable flick.

I felt Disney was constructing the movie--again, turning it into the same "Parents, learn to be closer to your kids by finding your inner child...The one that was a Disney fan!" metaphor that "Christopher Robin" was--but for all the movie's attempts to replicate an equivalent from each and every number from the '64 movie, it felt surprisingly small in its ambitions:

The "Turning Turtle" number with Mary's Uncle Albert Cousin Topsy, on the ceiling in the upside-down room, is obviously the X=Y equivalent of "I Love to Laugh", but--even for the fact that both numbers take place in one single London flat, which one FEELS like a "bigger" musical number?  That was the size of Walt's, and Robert Stevenson's, imaginations when they had a whole studio factory to play with.

If New Disney was "constructing" the movie out of new songs and old references and hints of Sherman Brothers on the soundtrack, Walt was throwing the original at us all by himself:  All the CGI thrown at us in "Can You Imagine That?" can't match the single out-of-nowhere bit of Walt Disneyland-neato of Julie Andrews dueting with an animatronic Tiki-bird robin in the first movie.

EASTER EGG ALERT:  Oh, and I assume everyone spotted the "real" Jane Banks (Karen Dotrice) all grown up, as a woman who stops by to say hello in front of the house?

Mary Poppins Returns is a very tasteful sequel to Mary
Poppins. It is clear that it was made with respect to the original movie,
capturing a similar vibe through the score, songs, animation, sets and
story. It was fantastic to see some old pros in there too with Angela
Lansbury and Dick Van Dyke. Emily Blunt was quite good as Mary Poppins. It
was not a remake of the original movie but rather a new movie using other
Mary Poppins stories that were "in the vaults", set in a later period from
original.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LauraP said:

It was fantastic to see some old pros in there too with Angela
Lansbury and Dick Van Dyke. Emily Blunt was quite good as Mary Poppins. It
was not a remake of the original movie but rather a new movie using other
Mary Poppins stories that were "in the vaults", set in a later period from
original.  

For example, the Undersea scenes from "Can You Imagine That?" were taken from an abandoned '64 Sherman Bros. number that eventually became "Beautiful Briny Sea" from Bedknobs & Broomsticks.  As, too, was Angela Lansbury's cameo, but hey, Bedknobs, Poppins, same thing, six o' one.

And as for the big Let's Go Fly a Balloon finale, would you believe Disney at one point originally considered that for Michael Jackson?...No, probably not.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 4:56 PM, CinemaInternational said:

It's glorious. It feels true to the legacy of the 1964 film, and for that matter has the same uninhibited joy of some of the great MGM musicals of the 40s and 50s.  Its exhilerating and wonderfully cast. I haven't seen too many films from 2018, but I would be shocked if anything supplants this from being my pick for the best film of last year.

I'm opened-minded to watching it but seems to me that everything you say is exactly who today's Hollywood will hate it! it's too old school.