Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Character Backstories

GGGGerald

I was surfing the web and I found that there's a new series coming to Netflix in 2019 called Ratched. Its going to be based on the character Nurse Ratched from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (1975) . Its going to show how she grew to become the domineering persona portrayed in the film.

And so I ask this question: "Who some characters from films you all might have wanted to see some back story about ? And some side character who might have made an interesting film where the character could be developed further ?"

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

And so I ask this question: "Who some characters from films you all might have wanted to see some back story about ? And some side character who might have made an interesting film where the character could be developed further ?"

They should do Steinbeck's "East of Eden" from the beginning, focusing on the relationship between the parents of Aron and Cal Trask (played in the 1955 film by Richard Davalos and James Dean, respectively).

Image result for east of eden cal and aron

• Like 1

The Wide Sargasso Sea (movie) and After Mrs. Rochester (play) attempt to construct the back story of Mrs. Rochester, the woman locked up in the attic in Jane Eyre.

I would like to see the back story of Greta Conroy depicted in a film. She's the character played by Anjelica Huston in The Dead. She talks about her youthful romance with Michael Furey. I would like to see it fleshed out in a film.

20110325151159_the-dead-1987-anjelica2.j

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

I always thought a film about Victor Laszlo from Casablanca (1942) would be interesting. I would like to see his work, capture, escape from a concentration camp. And of course what happens after he gets on that flight.

Victor-Laslow-casablanca-1345119-325-244

You wouldn't like it, Gerald.

You see, once that plane takes off, the ol' green-eyed monster takes over the once noble Victor's thoughts, and he then turns to Ilsa seated next to him and starts accusing her of all sorts of nasty things he began imagining she did in Paris with Rick.

Uh-huh, that whole cool-with-everything act he put on while they were in Casablanca was just THAT...an ACT!

(...see, told ya you wouldn't like it) 

• Haha 1

Just now, Dargo said:

You see, once that plane takes off, the ol' green-eyed monster takes over the once noble Victor's thoughts, and he then turns to Ilsa seated next to her and starts accusing her of all sorts of nasty things he began imagining she did in Paris with Rick.

Uh-huh, that whole cool-with-everything act he put on while they were in Casablanca was just THAT...an ACT!

That would make the movie better ! :lol:

11 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

That would make the movie better ! :lol:

Well, as you may know Gerald, there WAS some talk for a while about making a sequel AND using this very contrivance.

(...but once again, and like that thing that was brought up in another thread recently about Rock Hudson playing Henry Higgins in a filmed version of My Fair Lady, it would be wisely called off upon further reflection by the movie studio honchos)

• Like 1

I'd like to see a prequel to Rebel Without a Cause and find out more about Jim's background (especially his home life) prior to moving to Los Angeles.  Learning more about Plato's life would be interesting too.  I also think a sequel, focusing on Jim and Judy after Plato's death.  Does their relationship last? Does Judy get away from the bad crowd she was with? Does her relationship with her father improve? What happened to Plato's nurse? Does Jim graduate from high school?

I would also like to see a sequel to White Christmas.  Are Wallace and Davis traveling with the Haines Sisters as a quartet? Do they let Judy break away from singing and focus on her real talent, dancing, instead of lip syncing "Sisters" with Betty? 

3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Well, as you may know Gerald, there WAS some talk for a while about making a sequel AND using this very contrivance.

(...but once again, and like that thing that was brought up in another thread recently about Rock Hudson playing Henry Higgins in a filmed version of My Fair Lady, it would be wisely called off upon further reflection by the movie studio honchos)

That's similar to Pretty Woman 2, where Richard Gere moves on to another business deal. And Julia Roberts heads back to work the streets. Not so glamorous.

• Like 1

One of my favorite movies of the modern era is: Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead (1990). It follows the adventures and misadventures of two minor characters of: Hamlet. They are so very minor that they do not appear in many of the movie adaptations of the play. They are missing from Sir Laurence Olivier's 1948 version even although they are in Nicol Williamson's 1969 version.

The movie is fascinating as it moves between their own lives and the action depicted in the play.

I would very much like to see the same treatment done with other characters from plays or movies. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dargo said:

You see, once that plane takes off, the ol' green-eyed monster takes over the once noble Victor's thoughts, and he then turns to Ilsa seated next to him and starts accusing her of all sorts of nasty things he began imagining she did in Paris with Rick.

Victor Laszlo was a Marxist, as was Rick, which seems plain from his associations with the military activity in Spain and Ethiopia. Most of the organized 'Anti Fascist' activists in Europe prior to 1939 had Marxist/Soviet sponsorship. So, it's fairly clear they both would've ended up in New York or Los Angeles, being hounded by the reactionary right wing bullies in Washington.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, TopBilled said:

The rest of THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE. Specifically her upbringing and what her life was like before she met Trigger and was forced into prostitution.

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 6.44.43 AM.jpg

Tony Richardson directed SANCTUARY (1961), which condenses a rather less sanitized version of Faulkner's original novel ("Sanctuary") and its subsequent sequel ("Requiem for a Nun") into a single narrative.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I'd like to see a prequel to Rebel Without a Cause and find out more about Jim's background (especially his home life) prior to moving to Los Angeles.  Learning more about Plato's life would be interesting too.  I also think a sequel, focusing on Jim and Judy after Plato's death.  Does their relationship last? Does Judy get away from the bad crowd she was with? Does her relationship with her father improve? What happened to Plato's nurse? Does Jim graduate from high school?

I would also like to see a sequel to White Christmas.  Are Wallace and Davis traveling with the Haines Sisters as a quartet? Do they let Judy break away from singing and focus on her real talent, dancing, instead of lip syncing "Sisters" with Betty? 

Did they run out of food at the inn after all those unexpected guests showed up?
Did Bob and Betty have nine kids?
Did Phil have time to get a massage?
Did the Beatles appear on the Ed Harrison Show?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

Tony Richardson directed SANCTUARY (1961), which condenses a rather less sanitized version of Faulkner's original novel ("Sanctuary") and its subsequent sequel ("Requiem for a Nun") into a single narrative.

Thanks. I don't think the '61 version has ever aired on TCM. It's been awhile since I've seen it, so I can't recall how much of the character's backstory is delineated. The original 1933 production ran into numerous censorship problems.

Okay, here's one.

In the 1944 movie Two Girls and a Sailor starring Van Johnson, June Allyson and Gloria DeHaven, during a scene where at the WWII service canteen the two female leads in this thing start up to entertain our troops during this world conflict, you see this one character that's just billed as 'canteen dancer/dream girl' in it, and is someone I'd sure love to see their backstory told.

Now, you may ask why I'd pick this one?

Well, because that character was played by the hot as hell...yep, you guessed it...

...AVA GARDNER here...

IMAG008A.JPG 

(...any other questions?!)

;)

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Okay, here's one.

In the 1944 movie Two Girls and a Sailor starring Van Johnson, June Allyson and Gloria DeHaven, during a scene where at the WWII service canteen the two female leads in this thing start up to entertain our troops during this world conflict, you see this one character that just billed as 'canteen dancer/dream girl' in it, and is someone I'd sure love to see their backstory told.

Now, you may ask why I'd pick this?

Well, because that character was played by the hot as hell...yep, you guessed it...

...AVA GARDNER here...

IMAG008A.JPG 

(...any other questions?!)

;)

Looks like that poor guy is sleeping through the best part.

1 minute ago, Dargo said:

Yep!

(...but what I wouldn't give to be actor Frank Sully there, dude!!!) ;)

I would like to hear about Dargo's backstory, to find out what traumatic experience in his childhood turned him against the letter "u." I've heard rumours, but I'd like to know the real story, in all candour.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yep!

(...but what I wouldn't give to be actor Frank Sully there, dude!!!) ;)

I find it very interesting that you knew the scene, actors involved and could find the exact clip.

What's worse ? The dreams of being there or the nightmare that he slept through it all ?

12 hours ago, jakeem said:

They should do Steinbeck's "East of Eden" from the beginning, focusing on the relationship between the parents of Aron and Cal Trask (played in the 1955 film by Richard Davalos and James Dean, respectively).

There was an eight-hour East of Eden mini-series that aired on ABC in 1981 that covers the entire saga. It's available on DVD.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

There was an eight-hour East of Eden mini-series that aired on ABC in 1981 that covers the entire saga. It's available on DVD.

Thanks! I don't remember it. Of course, I could always read the novel, which was on Optah's Book Club list a few years ago.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings