Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fanny And Alexander-Great Christmas Movie

Det Jim McLeod

This is my favorite non English speaking film of all time and one I watch every Christmas season.

I loved every minute of the 3 hour running time (though there is a 5 hour TV version that is great too) and it is part Christmas film, part ghost story, part Dickensian family drama. The first part is the most joyous Christmas celebration I have seen in any film. It takes place in a beautiful home with shimmering Christmas decorations, a sumptuous feast and scenes of running through the house singing a Swedish carol. 

What do you think of this one? Anyone else watch it during the Yuletide?

Related image

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I concur! It's a very beautiful film. My favorite character is the Rabbi who saves the children from peril.

1a__fanny-and-al.png

One good scene in the original TV version that isn't in the movie version is when the ghosts of the priest's wife and child return to taunt the kid who lied about them. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I concur! It's a very beautiful film. My favorite character is the Rabbi who saves the children from peril.

1a__fanny-and-al.png

One good scene in the original TV version that isn't in the movie version is when the ghosts of the priest's wife and child return to taunt the kid who lied about them. 

The scene above with Uncle Isaak is a literally magical moment, and it works also.

It always amuses me that Pernilla August, who played the servant involved in an affair with Fanny and Alexander's Uncle Gustav Adolf (Jarl Kulle)...

Related image

...went on to play the mother of Anakin Skywalker (Jake Lloyd) in "Star Wars: Episode 1 -- The Phantom Menace" (1999) and "Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones" (2002). And her character, Shmi Slywalker, didn't need a man to become pregnant. Something about midi-chlorians...

Related image

20 hours ago, jakeem said:

Pernilla August, who played the servant involved in an affair with Fanny and Alexander's Uncle Gustav Adolf (Jarl Kulle)...

She was cute, not sure what she saw in ugly Uncle Gustav though! I guess since he was kind and generous to her.

I did see those two Star Wars movies, did not remember her, I don't remember too much about the films either.

• Haha 1

I got F&A out of the library a few years ago. I had always wanted to see it since it's theatrical release. I found it long & dull. I wonder what the heck I missed about it, since everyone else loves it. Some movies you just have to give another try, I guess.

On 12/21/2018 at 10:14 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

This is my favorite non English speaking film of all time and one I watch every Christmas season.

I loved every minute of the 3 hour running time (though there is a 5 hour TV version that is great too) and it is part Christmas film, part ghost story, part Dickensian family drama. The first part is the most joyous Christmas celebration I have seen in any film. It takes place in a beautiful home with shimmering Christmas decorations, a sumptuous feast and scenes of running through the house singing a Swedish carol. 

What do you think of this one? Anyone else watch it during the Yuletide?

Related image

Yes, it is wonderful. A truly breathtaking view of a family's holiday and the interrelationships between its members.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings