Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
rayban

Sadly Neglected Performances by Children

Gifted child performers like Dean Stockwell, Bobby Driscoll, Jackie "Butch" Jenkins and Margaret O'Brien can add immeasurably to the texture of a film.

• Like 4

Although I couldn't find pictures of them, Jerry Hunter as Randolph Foster and Buddy Howard as Jo-Jo Hoffenpepper in 1948's "A Date With Judy".

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:00 PM, Swithin said:

3359b.jpg

Philip Needs and Loretta Parry in Hand in Hand (1961)

I seem to recall seeing this film on the old "Children's Film Festival" which aired on CBS on Sunday afternoons.  Fran Allyson introduced the pictures (with her pals, Kukla and Ollie).  If I'm remembering correctly (without consulting IMDB or Wikipedia), the picture for the U.S. audience was titled "John and Julie"?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, midwestan said:

If I'm remembering correctly (without consulting IMDB or Wikipedia), the picture for the U.S. audience was titled "John and Julie"?

Not in my neighbourhood in the Bronx, where it was definitely Hand in Hand. Maybe elsewhere?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rayban said:

Valerio Bartoleschi in Michelangelo Antonioni's "Red Desert" -

4720133738_185e4ca21a_o.png

il-deserto-rosso-red-desert-year-1964-it

His illness - feigned or otherwise - is probably a response to his mother's unstable condition.

On 3/18/2019 at 4:11 PM, CinemaInternational said:

Alexandra Johnes in Zelly and Me (pictured with Isabella Rossellini)

MV5BMjE3NDM1MDI1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjQ2

Maybe its decalasse to quote oneself, but this neglected film is leaving Amazon Prime at the end of the month and heading once more into complete obscurity. Its a dark film emotionally, but I recommend it highly if you have the chance to see it.

• Thanks 1

I love the kid in Gentleman Prefer Blondes who tells Marilyn Monroe that she's got a lot of animal magnetism. 

• Thanks 1

I'm not normally a fan of children in movies, a lot of the time, the kids are either really snotty (e.g. the girls in Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House), or really irritating (Barbara Stanwyck's kids in My Reputation), or too cutesy (like many of the Shirley Temple movies, though I don't dislike Shirley).  Occasionally, there will be kids who act realistic, but turn in unbelievable performances (e.g. Peggy Ann Garner in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn), or they're really funny.

I love Margaret O'Brien in Meet Me in St. Louis.  She's such a weird kid.  The film is so sugary, bright, happy, etc. Then there's Tootie with her fascination about death and burying her dead dolls. 

I also love the little girl in Never Say Goodbye.  She is hilarious.  

"I'm gonna live in Luigi's back room and scrub floors and eat bread and water and Luigi will beat me." 

I also love Billy Gray in On Moonlight Bay and By the Light of the Silvery Moon