Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A different Christmas tale...

Sepiatone

Merry Christmas all.
I've posted this one before elsewhere, but not for a couple of years. And it bears another posting..... wink

And some might say it belongs on the "Chit-Chat" page, but I got HERE first.....  ;)

I know not many (if any) are spending any time in this forum today, with all many of you have to do today, but I thought I'd lighten things up with a different, but TRUE holiday tale that'll hopefully make up for that indigestible Thanksgiving story. wink

Back in the '70's( and sill today) my ex's older sister taught Sunday school. One year, it was like this year with Christmas day so close to a Sunday, she knew the kids would be too keyed up for the holiday to be able to listen to any Bible lesson, so she instead passed out sheets of drawing paper and put a bucket of crayons on each table of kids and invited them to draw a picture about Christmas.

When most were through, she sat in a chair and looked over each one and critiqued them, "OOH-ing" and "AH-ing" over each one, ie: "Oh, that's a nice looking Christmas tree".... and so on. And even though it was Sunday school, some kids drew pictures of Santa Claus ( wink ), and the raver ones tried Nativity scenes....

On these, she spent more time and on one particular one, her critique went like this...

"Oh, that's a nice drawing. Let's see, that must be the Three Wise Men," and the little boy said, "Yep." and the same when she pointed out the other various important figures, Mary, Joseph, and the little baby Jesus. And for one certain figure in his drawing, she asked..."So, what is this you have floating in the air above everyone else, it kind of looks like a GORILLA?" And the boy looked up at her with a confused look on his face and adamantly claimed, "That's NOT a Gorilla! That's MARK, the HAIRY ANGEL!" grin

That kid's gotta be in his mid to late 40's by now, and I wonder if HIS kids ever heard this story? wink

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone. smile

Sepiatone

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I have a funny Christmas-related story, too.

When I was a kid, my catholic father insisted upon wrangling my sisters, my mom and I to the Christmas Eve midnight mass at church. I think every year he would forget how hard this was to do the previous year. This is definitely a church service for adults; not only does it take place in the middle of the night,but it is traditionally very long.

One year, my Aunt from Chicago was visiting us. She had never attended one of these masses and was excited to do so. We arrived relatively early and decided to sit in the third or forth row in the center of the church.

Her excitement turned to sleepiness about a hour into the mass and her head began to slowly fall to her chest (the same would happen to my sisters and I, but we would get a jab from my dad to alert us to stay awake.) She had an aisle seat, and when it came time to kneel, she fell asleep and fell to the floor in the aisle separating the left and right side of the church. This startled her, and she quickly and confusingly sat up on the church floor and blurted out "Is it time for communion?" The priest jokingly addressed her "We're almost there; just a bit longer." 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

I have a funny Christmas-related story, too.

When I was a kid, my catholic father insisted upon wrangling my sisters, my mom and I to the Christmas Eve midnight mass at church. I think every year he would forget how hard this was to do the previous year. This is definitely a church service for adults; not only does it take place in the middle of the night,but it is traditionally very long.

One year, my Aunt from Chicago was visiting us. She had never attended one of these masses and was excited to do so. We arrived relatively early and decided to sit in the third or forth row in the center of the church.

Her excitement turned to sleepiness about a hour into the mass and her head began to slowly fall to her chest (the same would happen to my sisters and I, but we would get a jab from my dad to alert us to stay awake.) She had an aisle seat, and when it came time to kneel, she fell asleep and fell to the floor in the aisle separating the left and right side of the church. This startled her, and she quickly and confusingly sat up on the church floor and blurted out "Is it time for communion?" The priest jokingly addressed her "We're almost there; just a bit longer."

I was also raised in a Catholic family. We moved around a bit. And not every church we attended had a midnight mass on Christmas. But one town we lived in, the church in that town did. You're right, the service is lengthy (about an hour long)...and we also were getting sleepy halfway into it. The only thing that kept us awake was we were allowed to open one present after we got home from church. So we wanted to stay awake and on good behavior for that. The rest of our gifts were generally opened on Christmas morning, because Santa came sometime between 2 and 6 a.m.

• Like 2

My youngest sister Anne was born on December 7th, a Pearl Harbor baby. All the babies born in December in that hospital had their pictures taken in a red stocking. So she was our main present that year.

But my other sister and I, we were sent to stay with another family for a week-- because my father was on a job where he was traveling and my mother had almost died during childbirth and had a long recovery. I remember the family we stayed with was quite nice, and the mother of that family took me and my oldest sister shopping to get presents. The idea was to buy something for mom, so she had something nice to use during her recovery.

Of course I was nine and my sister Tami was 7, so at that age, we were trying to buy gifts we hoped our mother wouldn't like and give back to us. We were adorable children who never did anything wrong.

Photo.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, TopBilled said:

My youngest sister Anne was born on December 7th, a Pearl Harbor baby.

Heh,

My wife's youngest sister too, was born Dec. 7,  but 11 years after  the Pearl Harbor attack.  ;)   So too, I'm guessing your sister wasn't born in '41?  :wacko:

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings