Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shannon

Of all the "SCROOGE'S" LIONEL BARRYMORE WAS THEE MT. SUMIT!

ACADEMY AWARD WINER for 1930-31's gangster & courtroom drama *Lionel Barrymore-(l878-1954)-(of course not to be mixed up with the incredible John Barrymore-(l878-l942)

Annually put on a "SCROOGE" OR "A CHRISTMAS CAROL" every year in 1938 & I've seen & heard about 995 of the m all, he was A #1 though

1st got to hear it on 2 audio tapes when a then local talk radio show host brought the tapes in. It was *LB's final show, unfortunately

On film: my candidate is the 1951 Alastair sim U.K. version)   (TRIVIA: even *"THE GREAT: TRACY"-(l900-l967) own idol was *Lionel & they made(4) MGM pix together

& MORE TRIVIA FUN FAX: "MOGUL OF MOGUL: LB MAYER-(l885-l957) used to somehow score the arthric *Lionel with cocaine to ease his ongoing arthritis. *Barrymore always said he wondered how he got it, but back then it wasn't a s stringent & mostly called BEZADRINE

(TRIVIA: Who was *SINATRA'S movie hero & idol by the way???)  You can see his mannerisms in his acting very easily too

No question. A real shame Reginald Owen had to do the 1938 film. Just the promotional portraits of Barrymore in makeup for Campbells fire the imagination. Of course, Lionel DID do the old reprobate, after a fashion, in IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE!

lionel_barrymore_scrooge.jpg

And if you haven't heard any of the Campbells broadcasts, here it is from 1939:

http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com/christmas_carol_welles_barrymore_1939.mp3

• Thanks 2

I wish radio was interested in preserving it's past the same way the film and television industries do. I would love nothing more than to hear one of these broadcasts on Christmas Eve or day the same way my parents had. Listening to them in your car just doesn't have the same feeling. I like to know others are listening, as well.

4 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

No question. A real shame Reginald Owen had to do the 1938 film. Just the promotional portraits of Barrymore in makeup for Campbells fire the imagination. Of course, Lionel DID do the old reprobate, after a fashion, in IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE!

lionel_barrymore_scrooge.jpg

And if you haven't heard any of the Campbells broadcasts, here it is from 1939:

http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com/christmas_carol_welles_barrymore_1939.mp3

RAY, you& I are sadly the chosen few in L. BARRYMORE doing this annually-(';38 was his grade finale, sadly)

A. Sim on film gets my vote!   Soo many have portrayed the legendary role even Henry Winkler, R. 0wen-(BORING!), *George C., Scott, Marlo Thomas & any more, but they can't old a candle.  Now it gets a wee bit confusing because Jim Carrey played THE GRINCH?

(P.S. Groucho woulda'; been another good concert, do you agree?)

(TRIVIA: You likely know his 1946 Mr. Potter was just the sane type of guy, right)