3. Little Woods
  4. The Mustang
  5. Avengers: Endgame
  6. Us
  7. Wild Rose
  8. The Last Black Man in San Francisco
  9. Diane
  10. Fighting with My Family

The only one that I've seen was Us, and I can't imagine that it will make my personal top ten of the year list. I haven't even heard of half of the others above. 

The only one I've seen is Toy Story 4. Which incidentally is the only 2019 film I've seen so far. I've heard of Booksmart (kind of sounds like 2007's Superbad, only with two female leads, and one being a lesbian), Avengers:Endgame (hard to escape news of that), Us (ditto; and I get the same incredulous look every time when they run that commercial with the review quote saying it was the best horror film of all time), Wild Rose (just opened, its about a young Scottish rocker, Julie Walters and Sophie Okonedo are supporting players), The Last Black Man in San Francisco (again just opened, and I don't know much outside of the title) and Fighting with My Family (British form of WWE with a female wrestler, supposedly a crowdpleaser).

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

The only one I've seen is Toy Story 4. Which incidentally is the only 2019 film I've seen so far. I've heard of Booksmart (kind of sounds like 2007's Superbad, only with two female leads, and one being a lesbian), Avengers:Endgame (hard to escape news of that), Us (ditto; and I get the same incredulous look every time when they run that commercial with the review quote saying it was the best horror film of all time), Wild Rose (just opened, its about a young Scottish rocker, Julie Walters and Sophie Okonedo are supporting players), The Last Black Man in San Francisco (again just opened, and I don't know much outside of the title) and Fighting with My Family (British form of WWE with a female wrestler, supposedly a crowdpleaser).

I'll see Booksmart eventually, but I didn't laugh during the trailers at all. Fighting with My Family I saw a few ads for. I'll get around to it eventually as well, as I like stars Florence Pugh and Lena Headey. 

I'm interested in this week's The Farewell

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, and as far as 2019 releases go, besides Us, I also saw Captain Marvel at the theater (meh), Glass on disc (terrible), animated Reign of the Supermen and Justice League vs the Fatal Five on disc (meh), and Velvet BuzzsawIoPolarThe Silence, and Rim of the World on Netflix. Velvet Buzzsaw has its moments, but Io was rather blah, The Silence was derivative, and both Polar and Rim of the World were awful.

• Thanks 1
Just now, LawrenceA said:

I'll see Booksmart eventually, but I didn't laugh during the trailers at all. Fighting with My Family I saw a few ads for. I'll get around to it eventually as well, as I like stars Florence Pugh and Lena Headey. 

I'm interested in this week's The Farewell

Yes, the Farewell looks glorious, and I too plan on going after Fighting with My Family, Wild Rose, and probably Us, because I have a hunch it will get some Oscar attention. The fall films can't some soon enough though, because so far, although looking from the outside in, it seems like a kind of bland year. What's little on my to watch list from the first half of the year are Yesterday, Dumbo, Everybody Knows, Tolkein, The Best of Enemies, Apollo 11, Missing link, How to train your Dragon 3, Late Night, Greta, Poms (only because of Diane Keaton and Pam Grier), Gloria bell, Pavarotti, The Aftermath, and Red Joan. I might see Captain Marvel and Shazam. maybe.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

THE LION KING remake hits screens on Friday.

I'm sure it'll have a big weekend but the current score it on Metacritic is 57 out of 100.  Not great.  From what I've read it lacks the heart and emotion of the animated version (or even the stage production).  

14 minutes ago, Peebs said:

I'm sure it'll have a big weekend but the current score it on Metacritic is 57 out of 100.  Not great.  From what I've read it lacks the heart and emotion of the animated version (or even the stage production).  

I really don't see the purpose in remaking it. I bet if they had just re-released the original, it would have made money too.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I really don't see the purpose in remaking it. I bet if they had just re-released the original, it would have made money too.

Disney used to re-release their movies, I think.  Maybe because of DVD sales and their new streaming service Disney doesn't want to put old movies back in theaters.  I think there would be an audience for re-releases.  I took a youngster to a local big screen showing of The Lion King last year and it was if he were seeing it for the first time.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Peebs said:

Disney used to re-release their movies, I think.  Maybe because of DVD sales and their new streaming service Disney doesn't want to put old movies back in theaters.  I think there would be an audience for re-releases.  I took a youngster to a local big screen showing of The Lion King last year and it was if he were seeing it for the first time.  

At first I thought this newer one was a live action version, like what Disney did recently with ALADDIN. I was surprised to learn it was an animation remake. Again, I don't see the point in it...especially, when the original is such a masterpiece.

• Like 1
On 7/11/2019 at 6:01 PM, CinemaInternational said:

just saw tory story 4 a couple days ago and per usual pixie did it again  though personally I still like the first one best from '95   this movie yr though has been weak  next is once upon a time in hollywood

• Like 1
On 7/15/2019 at 9:01 PM, TopBilled said:

i';; likely see it though and ridiculously the left is calling this a Nazi movie

Live-action ‘Cats’ movie trailer is the weirdest thing you’ll see today

The trailer for the live-action Cats musical is here — but the technique used to turn stars like Taylor Swift into cats has left many horrified.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/movies/movie-trailers/liveaction-cats-movie-trailer-is-the-weirdest-thing-youll-see-today/news-story/9ce4586428658e8015302c1fce835e25

:blink:

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I think this looks like a contender for worst big-budget movie ever made, but I'm not the target audience.

I am the target audience and even I think it may be a disaster!

• Like 1

i started looking at the new Dumbo today. So far, its a very different beast than the 1941 classic. The original was simple and sweet, this one is quite dark and grandiose. Dumbo flies pretty early on in this one, so no sense of delayed gratification. The sets are eyepopping, acting so far, Colin Farrell and Danny De Vito seem to be good, you can sense its a Tim Burton film thanks to the emphasis on outsiders and a distinct feeling of echos of Big Fish. Film bears very little resemblance to the original, no talking mouse, no crows, many new characters, but in a way that's an asset, I still remember frowning a lot while watching the 2017 Beauty and the Beast attempt to be so slavishly faithful that it was reusing the same musical cues and dialogue. This at least feels different enough to stand on its own feet.

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

So...likely hit, or complete catastrophe? (get it?!?)

I think this looks like a contender for worst big-budget movie ever made, but I'm not the target audience.

The visuals are odd. The whole effect of superimposing actor's faces on cat bodies is quite odd. (Frankly they looked pretty strange on stage too). I'l still probably see it being a musical fan, but its unusual. Maybe they'll back to revamp the imagery due to the response so far. i have to say it will probably tempt critics a lot with the title. Not only catasrophe, but i can imagine what a headline pan for it would be "Cats Coughs Up Giant Furball"

• Haha 1

That trailer reminds me a bit of Hitler's Kaput. It looks pretty good. Also I agree with you on Kevin Smith. The trailer doesn't look good and they also already did the Silence of the Lambs parody in their earlier movie (Hey remember that time we referenced a famous movie in our earlier movie? Well that's happening again). Seems like more nostalgia bait.

Once Upon A Time In...  Hollywood (2019)

MV5BOTg4ZTNkZmUtMzNlZi00YmFjLTk1MmUtNWQw

Directed by Quentin Tarantino, starring Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio, Margot Robbie, Margaret Qualley, Dakota Fanning, Timothy Olyphant, Al Pacino, Kurt Russell, and Bruce Dern. Epic Hollywood fairy tale, if only 9/10.