Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Films in 2019

To topBilled, whats your opinion of the previous It?   My fav of S. King's-(l947-) is by far  SHAWSHANK!!!

Most hated: Children of the Corn

You probably saw posts I wrote about him when he did great pieces for EW magazine, or did you miss that one?

His one month he wrote of his all-time favorite movies>

Kane, *GFI, United 93, Wages of Fear & Sorcerer & desperately did not want *Jack for The Shining because he says *Nicholson comes off to crazy to start with & campaigned for M. Moriarty-(also almost got Joe Buck in *Midnight Cowboy)

& arguably his finest piece 1 month was The Coolest Stars in Hollywood today, he chose just 7 and not ten though?

(in no special order)

*Jack Nicholson (l937-), *Robert De Niro (l943-), *Morgan Freeman (l937-), *George Clooney (l96l-), *Kevin Spacey (l959-) & only 2 actresses though *Jodie Foster (l962-) & *Holly Hunter(l958-)

But to make it an even 10 I'd subit>

Madonna (l958-), Christian slater (l969-) & Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio (l958-)

• 2 weeks later...

Recent releases:

September 8: 

THE OBITUARY OF TUNDE JOHNSON (drama)

September 13: 

Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 11.57.10 PM.jpeg

DOWNTON ABBEY (drama)

THE GOLDFINCH (drama)

THE SOUND OF SILENCE (drama)

HUSTLERS (crime thriller)

MONOS (thriller)

TALL GIRL (romantic comedy)

September 20:

Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 11.50.17 PM.jpeg

BLOODLINE (horror)

AD ASTRA (science fiction)

RAMBO: LAST BLOOD (action)

RUNNING WITH THE DEVIL (crime thriller)

• Like 1
9 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Recent releases:

September 8: 

September 13: 

DOWNTON ABBEY (drama)

THE GOLDFINCH (drama)

MONOS (thriller)

September 20:

BLOODLINE (horror)

Did you see the pretty bizarre $B.O.$ stats on Rambo vs Downton Abbey?

Though of course still early it appears the likely $Box-0ffice$ hits that ay be up for Best Picture are Once Upon a Time in Hollywood ($140m. ), Downton Abbey, The Irishman, The Joker-(NOTE: I see that making more $$$ then any other in this yrs race, how about yourself buddy?) & very likely the charged up Ford vs. Ferrari-(see any of the possible BP trailers yet>?) JoJo Rabbit just may be too small, plus of course offend voters, who knows?  The annual pre-Oscars seem set to embrace it though

As I've always said I'm better at predicting Oscar (21 for 24  2 years ago, a personal best), Boxing, NFL,etc then just the $B.O.$ grosses, though I study & have them in books & files, to tedious & fickle I guess, audiences

A couple bizarre examples> Raging Bull ($13m.),  Blue Velvet ($8m.), Blade Runner ($34m.), Thin Red Line ($36m.), Affliction ($7m.)  Fearless ($7m.), The Straight-Story ($7m.) & lowest grosser to date to sweep BP Oscar is 2009's The Hurt Locker raking in only about $17m.  Matter of fact I projected Hanks only ok (**1/2) that thing you do would make $$$ because of his involvement, nope only hit $26m.

• Thanks 1

Downton Abbey can be strongly recommended to fans of the TV show. We loved it, as did the audience we saw it with. If you've never seen the series, it probably won't mean much, and you'll be wondering who everyone is and why the audience is reacting when someone you don't know appears on screen. Production values are outstanding. I can't imagine how many different costumes were made. The idea for the movie is outstanding--the visit of the king and queen to Downton--because it automatically involves so many characters both upstairs and downstairs. Fans will be happy that Maggie Smith and Penelope Wilton are still aiming barbed remarks at each other, and Dame Maggie also exchanges verbal fire with Imelda Staunton.

• Like 1

Ad Astra review-

" There have been numerous sci-fi films about people who had to go to the reaches of space to find truths within themselves but none quite like James Gray’s masterful “Ad Astra.”

Thematically dense and visually sumptuous, “Ad Astra” may not work for those seeking an action/adventure thrill ride—it’s more “Solaris” than “Gravity” or “The Martian”—but it works wonders below the surface, serving as an examination of masculinity, a commentary on how we become our fathers, and can even be read as a search for an absent God.

This is rare, nuanced storytelling, anchored by one of Brad Pitt’s career-best performances and remarkable technical elements on every level. It’s a special film. .......

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/ad-astra-movie-review-2019

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 9/24/2019 at 10:27 PM, TopBilled said:

Opening on Friday

Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 7.15.55 PM.jpeg

Hey top, ironically & I was furious last night when I called the theatre & due to it's low $$$ sales to date, they are holding Judy for a couple weeks, see most immediately admit she's superb but the film is weak So I'm off to join the mases-(may even it $275 million domestically) and go to The Joker this time first   Even though it's not yet really Oscar season most things last night say it began with the massive reception of The Irishman, but Judy may have already peaked, remember the name Cynthia Erivu in Harriet  It's always been harder for a sole nommed performance to win without also having the pull of a BP nod

Next up will be for my 55th birthday TCM/Fathom *"GFII" (Nov. 1st)

BE WELL

• Like 1
On 9/7/2019 at 10:54 PM, TopBilled said:

I never saw the original. But I do think the sequel looks interesting.

& it still may be a contender, they have always known to pull off some strange jazz in the BD race, so much so many other pundits don't even try to forecast t's nominees  Reason being it's the smallest voting block, if you don't mind wat state do  you currently live in, that makes all the difference in releasing flix

As it stands right now I'd bet the Best Director nominees may be-(subject to change, until 10 days before official ones are announced on Jan 19th, 2012)>)?

*Martin Scorsese for The Irishman

Greta Gerwig, Little women

James Mangold, Ford vs. Ferrari

Sam Mendes for 1917

& Quentin Tarentino for 0nce Upon a Time in Ollywood-(don't get it, it's ok (**1/2) but no P. Fiction, Inglorious Basterds or somethig?)

• Thanks 1
On 9/22/2019 at 3:09 AM, TopBilled said:

Recent releases:

September 8: 

September 13: 

DOWNTON ABBEY (drama)

THE GOLDFINCH (drama)

MONOS (thriller)

September 20:

BLOODLINE (horror)

Of the huge costume dramas we have this & The Two-Popes this year

5 hours ago, spence said:

Hey top, ironically & I was furious last night when I called the theatre & due to it's low $$$ sales to date, they are holding Judy for a couple weeks, see most immediately admit she's superb but the film is weak So I'm off to join the mases-(may even it $275 million domestically) and go to The Joker this time first   Even though it's not yet really Oscar season most things last night say it began with the massive reception of The Irishman, but Judy may have already peaked, remember the name Cynthia Erivu in Harriet  It's always been harder for a sole nommed performance to win without also having the pull of a BP nod

You'll have to tell us your thoughts about JUDY when you finally see it.

• Like 1
On 9/22/2019 at 7:59 PM, mr6666 said:

Ad Astra review-

" There have been numerous sci-fi films about people who had to go to the reaches of space to find truths within themselves but none quite like James Gray’s masterful “Ad Astra.”

Thematically dense and visually sumptuous, “Ad Astra” may not work for those seeking an action/adventure thrill ride—it’s more “Solaris” than “Gravity” or “The Martian”—but it works wonders below the surface, serving as an examination of masculinity, a commentary on how we become our fathers, and can even be read as a search for an absent God.

This is rare, nuanced storytelling, anchored by one of Brad Pitt’s career-best performances and remarkable technical elements on every level. It’s a special film. .......

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/ad-astra-movie-review-2019

Good or not though it's hit the deck at the $B.O.$ for some reason & Rambo 5 even more-so

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Opening this weekend:

Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 5.56.16 AM.png

JOKER (superhero crime)

LUCY IN THE SKY (science fiction)

DOLEMITE IS MY NAME (comedy)

LOW TIDE (thriller)

WRINKLES THE CLOWN (documentary)

Hey buddy, ironically just now write a pc about this & how they ordered lots more cops at screenings-(check it out) I certainly hope I'm not boxed-in & with punks today at it  Been years since I put up with that, one of my 3 goings to *Titanic as a fact, so packed they let people sit on the floor!  Sound like an old guy, but when I was a kid-(10-12) my & my pal went to Jaws-9only a $buck$) everyday just about & didn't cause a racket & The Towering Inferno-(because McQueen was my hero) & a film called Breakout(ever hear of it) with Bronson-(his hero)

I was totally wrong one time in 1985 dropped off at some $1 theatre to see Vertigo, packed with kids & they were quiet & at it's famous finale gave Vertigo a standing ovation!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, spence said:

Hey buddy, ironically just now write a pc about this & how they ordered lots more cops at screenings-(check it out) I certainly hope I'm not boxed-in & with punks today at it  Been years since I put up with that, one of my 3 goings to *Titanic as a fact, so packed they let people sit on the floor!  Sound like an old guy, but when I was a kid-(10-12) my & my pal went to Jaws-9only a $buck$) everyday just about & didn't cause a racket & The Towering Inferno-(because McQueen was my hero) & a film called Breakout(ever hear of it) with Bronson-(his hero)

I was totally wrong one time in 1985 dropped off at some $1 theatre to see Vertigo, packed with kids & they were quiet & at it's famous finale gave Vertigo a standing ovation!

Hey Spence,

What do you think of WRINKLES THE CLOWN...? Any interest in that one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrinkles_the_Clown_(film)

Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 7.25.54 AM.jpeg

• Like 1

Like THE IRISHMAN for Best Picture & BD-(*Scorsese) they might as well write the names n the golden statue right now, same goes for Phoenix ^& likely *Al to as Hoffa.

Recall '88's somber & vey good (***1/2) Running on empty & & River Phoenix-(though a leading role was typically up for support) still like him over Joaquin myself

• Thanks 1