Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM SEARCH IS DEAD

drednm

The search hasn't worked well since they downgraded the board a couple of years ago. You can't (as far as I can tell) limit a search to a particular area (e.g. General Discussions) or a particular thread (e.g. this thread.)

If, while in this thread, I searched the word "dead," I wouldn't get results limited to this thread, but to every instance that the word "dead" was used on this board. We used to be able to do more targeted searches.

22 minutes ago, Swithin said:

The search hasn't worked well since they downgraded the board a couple of years ago. You can't (as far as I can tell) limit a search to a particular area (e.g. General Discussions) or a particular thread (e.g. this thread.)

If, while in this thread, I searched the word "dead," I wouldn't get results limited to this thread, but to every instance that the word "dead" was used on this board. We used to be able to do more targeted searches.

You can still narrow down the search, but it has to be on the second try. 

For example, I just searched the word "Oscars". That takes me to a list of all threads that mention the word "Oscars". At the top of the list, it now shows a large search bar with the term I looked up, and underneath it there's a clickable text that says  "+More Search options".

If you click on that, you can choose through all of these options to narrow the search, including narrowing it down to specific sections of the message boards:

Content Type

• All Content
  • Status Updates
  • Topics

Find results in...

• Content titles and body
  • Content titles only

Find results that contain...

• All of my search term words
  • Any of my search term words

Date Created

• Any
  • Last 24 hours
  • Last week
  • Last month
  • Last six months
  • Last year
  • Custom

Last Updated

• Any
  • Last 24 hours
  • Last week
  • Last month
  • Last six months
  • Last year
  • Custom
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, drednm said:

Won't work at all for me.... It did a few days ago....

It still works for me. However, ever since the last upgrade, it's been uneven in search speed. Sometimes it seems to take several minutes to process a search, while others (like the "Oscars" search I did for my post above) happen almost instantly.

20 hours ago, drednm said:

Won't work at all for me.... It did a few days ago....

I have a hard time with the search. I usually just end up doing a Google search with keywords along with the phrase "TCM message boards" and scroll through whatever comes up there. Sometimes, something pops up even closer to what I was originally looking for!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

I have a hard time with the search. I usually just end up doing a Google search with keywords along with the phrase "TCM message boards" and scroll through whatever comes up there. Sometimes, something pops up even closer to what I was originally looking for!

That's a good way to do it. 

3 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Yep, that's what I do lots of times too. This also helps when searching through Barnes and Noble. Unless you are typing something so unique that B&N will take you right to it, it gets confused and shows stuff totally unrelated. If I type "Barnes and Noble PRODUCT X" into google, then it gives me a link to the B&N product I seek.

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

I keep getting that annoying 504 error most of the time.  By default simply Search for EXACTLY what I type in - don't search for individual words within it! :angry:

That's exactly what I get, too. What's annoying is that it takes 2-3 minutes where it "looks" like it is searching, then the 504 ERROR message appears.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings