Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Happy New Year to Sir Michael Palin and Dame Twiggy!

jakeem

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

Actress @thandienewton, author @PhilipPullman, conservationist @ChrisGPackham, musician @NickyBenedetti, Monty Python star Michael Palin and Handmaid’s Tale writer @MargaretAtwood included in the New Year Honours.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-46700743

Clockwise from top left: Jim Carter, Julia Donaldson, David Grant, Twiggy, Michael Palin, Thandie Newton

Mr. Carson to meet the queen! Jim Carter who captured the interest of the world as the Head Butler of "Downton Abbey" certainly deserves to represent and be representative of all great actors in this honor..

And I am particularly excited that a real tap dancer has been selected this year for one of these honors. Twiggy became a partner of the celebrated tap dancer and choreographer Tommy Tune on Broadway in the Gershwins' " My One and Only", for which she was nominated for a Tony Award.

Of course, before all that Twiggy was the fashion embodiment of the British Invasion as a top International model.

And congratulations belatedly so to Bee Gee Barry Gibb for receiving his honors last year.

While I love, love Twiggy, I don't understand her contribution to British Culture. I would think knighthood criteria would be more significant than just "long term popular entertainer".

Twiggy certainly personified the youth look of 60's fashion that still resonates today. Sadly, what came naturally to her now manifests itself in eating disorders.

BeeGee Barry Gibb? Aren't the Gibbs Australian? Boy, am I confused!

41 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

While I love, love Twiggy, I don't understand her contribution to British Culture. I would think knighthood criteria would be more significant than just "long term popular entertainer".

Twiggy certainly personified the youth look of 60's fashion that still resonates today. Sadly, what came naturally to her now manifests itself in eating disorders.

Twiggy, whose real name is Lesley Hornby Lawson, has been designated for a damehood because of her contributions to fashion, the arts and charity.

Image result for twiggy images 2018

As for Gibb, he was knighted because Australia is a part of the British Commonwealth, comprised of many former colonies of the old Empire.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Nobody expects The Spanish Inquisition! Or that a member of Monty Python would become a knight, is he the first of them to be honored in this way? 

Yes. But John Cleese turned down a CBE (Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire) in 1996 and a life peerage. As a result, he says, he'll never be knighted.

"I am too naughty," he said recently. "I am untrustworthy, irreverent and vulgar. They have never asked me."

Cleese also explained why he turned down the CBE: 

"I said, 'Can I call myself Commander Cleese, like Commander Bond?' And they said, 'No'.

I said, 'Well what is this British Empire?'

Well there isn't one any more. So that is not worth it."

Congratulation to dear Michael Pallin on his Knighthood!!! Sir Mickey!

He'll have to go 'Ni' for the rest of his life now

And to his good lady wife Lady Helen, who has stood by his side all those many years that he has been abroad

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Nobody expects The Spanish Inquisition! Or that a member of Monty Python would become a knight, is he the first of them to be honored in this way? 

Think it's as much for his travels, since Terry Jones would be so much more deserving of the honors--

Except, of course, that Jones already got his heraldic "knight crest" as part of a documentary series:

https://youtu.be/iO7YZr1U6jU?t=774

("Messias non est") :D

16 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

The Bee Gees originally come from the Isle of Man and some of the younger ones like Andy Gibb were probably actually born in Manchester England where they all grew up.

They migrated to Australia when they were teenagers because their father was seeking employment and also because two of the older ones had gotten into a lot of issues with the juvenile authorities. LOL

They eventually became rather big in Australia and came back to England in the late sixties when the Brian Epstein company heard one of their tapes and said they would sponsor them. That's when they became big stars internationally and were under the management of Robert Stigwood.

As for Twiggy, she and Tommy Tune were two of the last big tap dancing stars on Broadway in the 20th century.

On 12/29/2018 at 11:29 PM, Princess of Tap said:

And I am particularly excited that a real tap dancer has been selected this year for one of these honors. Twiggy became a partner of the celebrated tap dancer and choreographer Tommy Tune on Broadway in the Gershwins' " My One and Only", for which she was nominated for a Tony Award.

Of course, before all that Twiggy was the fashion embodiment of the British Invasion as a top International model.

Even though she didn't appear in many films, Twiggy was also a very good actress very endearing in 1971's The Boy Friend and touching, funny, and poignant in 1988's Madame Sousatzka.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Even though she didn't appear in many films, Twiggy was also a very good actress very endearing in 1971's The Boy Friend and touching, funny, and poignant in 1988's Madame Sousatzka.

She also had a nice bit part in "The Blues Brothers" (1980) opposite Dan Aykroyd as Elwood Blues.

• Like 2

On 12/30/2018 at 10:37 PM, Princess of Tap said:

The Bee Gees originally come from the Isle of Man and some of the younger ones like Andy Gibb were probably actually born in Manchester England where they all grew up.

Barry Gibb was indeed born on the Isle of Man and didn't move to Australia until he was about 14.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jakeem said:

She also had a nice bit part in "The Blues Brothers" (1980) opposite Dan Aykroyd as Elwood Blues.

As I recall, later in the movie, when the Blues Brothers are fleeing for their lives from about a thousand people trying to either arrest or kill them, we cut to a quick shot of Twiggy actually waiting for Elwood at the hotel!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Barry Gibb was indeed born on the Isle of Man and didn't move to Australia until he was about 14.

I'm a Bee Gee fan from the 1970s-- after the British Invasion and before Disco.

Years ago I got a hold of their autobiographical video where they actually go back to Manchester and show you how it all began.

I'd recommend it for anyone who likes the Bee Gees and for anyone who's interested in rock and roll.

PS: I can remember Barry Gibb saying in the video that his mom ran a post office on the Isle of Man.

My iTunes collection is almost entirely pre-1970 material, and while I grew up on disco-era Bee Gees, I've been exploring their '60s output, with which I'd been previously almost entirely unfamiliar. They were making great music even back then! Here are their songs I have in my iTunes collection:

New York Mining Disaster, 1967
World
Words
**** and Specks
To Love Somebody

Edit: Ooops, didn't consider the first word of one of those song could be interpreted as a racial slur!

19 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

My iTunes collection is almost entirely pre-1970 material, and while I grew up on disco-era Bee Gees, I've been exploring their '60s output, with which I'd been previously almost entirely unfamiliar. They were making great music even back then! Here are their songs I have in my iTunes collection:

World
Words
**** and Specks
To Love Somebody

Edit: Ooops, didn't consider the first word of one of those song could be interpreted as a racial slur!

You should try to get "Massachusetts," "I've Gotta Get a Message to You" and "I Started a Joke."

Sew-- You got to take my word for it. At this point in the late sixties they were bigger than the Beach Boys and almost as big as the Beatles.

In the late 90s they did a show one night only in Las Vegas and it was on the PBS. I have the cassette and the CD. You can also get the DVD. What makes this so special is that they do a complete rundown of their career.

The career of course is in three parts. After the first terrific part they broke up, doing a lot of drugs and so forth. They're in the early seventies they came back together with my favorite Bee Gees song: "How Do You Mend a Broken Heart?" They had some big heads with soft rock and then went away again until "Jive Talkin " .

I'm a big Andy Gibb fan too. The musical genealogy of their family was unbelievable.

Do you have a favorite Bee Gees song?

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

World
Words
**** and Specks
To Love Somebody

In addition to writing all those songs for themselves, as you well know, they wrote for Barbra Streisand Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers, Dionne Warwick, Samantha Sang, and Diana Ross.

On 12/30/2018 at 11:47 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

No, no one expects the Spanish Inquisition but everyone should expect anyone who can sell a dead parrot to be knighted, like Palin.

• Haha 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings