Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Screen Legends, according to Starz

TopBilled

On the Starz streaming site, there is a category of films called Screen Legends.

Screen-Shot-2019-01-01-at-7.35.05-AM.jpe

These people are included as legendary movie stars. See if you agree:

JULIA ROBERTS
HARRISON FORD
JIM CARREY
EDDIE MURPHY
TOM CRUISE
HEATH LEDGER
MORGAN FREEMAN
MEL GIBSON
GOLDIE HAWN
JUDE LAW
ROBIN WILLIAMS
JOHN TRAVOLTA
ROBERT DE NIRO
ADAM SANDLER
ROBERT REDFORD
AUDREY HEPBURN
WINONA RYDER
ANTHONY HOPKINS
JOHNNY DEPP
WILL SMITH
MATT DAMON
STEVE MCQUEEN
JAMES GARNER
KEVIN COSTNER
DONALD SUTHERLAND
RICHARD GERE
JESSICA LANGE
ALBERT BROOKS
AL PACINO
STEVE MARTIN
PAUL NEWMAN
NICOLAS CAGE
KIRK DOUGLAS
CLINT EASTWOOD
DENZEL WASHINGTON

• Like 1

Seriously? Nobody earlier than Audrey Hepburn? I love some of the ones listed and would genuinely consider them to be legendary, but poor Starz needs to get real. But they obviously know their core audience and are catering to them. I wonder if any of them could name a Paul Newman movie before Butch Cassidy. Doubtful.

6 minutes ago, DougieB said:

Seriously? Nobody earlier than Audrey Hepburn? I love some of the ones listed and would genuinely consider them to be legendary, but poor Starz needs to get real. But they obviously know their core audience and are catering to them. I wonder if any of them could name a Paul Newman movie before Butch Cassidy. Doubtful.

Kirk Douglas would be earlier than Audrey Hepburn. However, the Kirk Douglas film they are presenting is from the mid-70s.

I expected John Wayne to be included. But they don't have John Wayne under the Screen Legends section because they've put all his films under the Westerns section.

Personally (while I like her) I don't consider Winona Ryder a screen legend. Do you?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Kirk Douglas would be earlier than Audrey Hepburn. However, the Kirk Douglas film they are presenting is from the mid-70s.

I expected John Wayne to be included. But they don't have John Wayne under the Screen Legends section because they've put all his films under the Westerns section.

Personally (while I like her) I don't consider Winona Ryder a screen legend. Do you?

No. I don't. But Starz has probably just created convenient categories for the movies they already have the rights to. Question: Is Stagecoach one of the John Wayne westerns or just later stuff like McClintock? Bet I know the answer.

Good catch on Kirk Douglas. I wonder what they came up with for him.

11 minutes ago, DougieB said:

No. I don't. But Starz has probably just created convenient categories for the movies they already have the rights to. Question: Is Stagecoach one of the John Wayne westerns or just later stuff like McClintock? Bet I know the answer.

Good catch on Kirk Douglas. I wonder what they came up with for him.

They're showing THE FURY (1978) for Kirk Douglas fans. 

The John Wayne films under the Starz western section include NORTH TO ALASKA, THE COMANCHEROS, THE ALAMO, THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE, EL DORADO and THE SHOOTIST. I don't think STAGECOACH is included.

11 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

no John Wayne? whatta pathetic disconnect because Duke is popular even with millennials who were raised properly.

As I said they have Duke in the westerns section. But yeah, I think it's interesting that they are pushing people like Winona Ryder, Jude Law and Will Smith. Meaning people like James Cagney, Pat O'Brien and Bette Davis must have made films in the dark ages.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

As I said they have Duke in the westerns section. But yeah, I think it's interesting that they are pushing people like Winona Ryder, Jude Law and Will Smith. Meaning people like James Cagney, Pat O'Brien and Bette Davis must have made films in the dark ages.

exactly. 

20 hours ago, DougieB said:

I know you have a solid understanding of context.    These are the screen legends for the generation (demographic) Starz is marketing too.

So with that being said I'm very surprised Kirk Douglas is listed (I'm really thinking they made a type-o mistake and it should be his son!).

As for Audrey;  this has been covered before; She is iconic mainly because of fashion (e.g. the black dress) and her style.    My wife's cousin is staying with us from Italy and she is a 26 year old fashion stylish and sometime model.   The only 'old Hollywood' people she knows are Audrey and Monroe.    We were watching Sabrina and she said she had never seen a Audrey film.  She was aware of most of the gowns in the film (as well as the men's suits) since she learned that in fashion school (but from photos and NOT by seeing the film).

PS:  where is Brad Pitt?    I guess his star has fallen but his buddy Matt Damon is one the list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

PS:  where is Brad Pitt?    I guess his star has fallen but his buddy Matt Damon is one the list.

They rotate the films every few months. So I am sure that when they get to February or March a few of these "legendary stars" will be replaced with some other ones (like Pitt).

59 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Thanks for posting this. Lists are always eye-openers, if scary. I thought Winona Ryder had been forgotten. They must have the rights to Beetlejuice or the 1990s Little Women.

She's also still much remembered by many it seems for Heathers and Reality Bites. Girl Interrupted and Dracula also come up from time to time. But I think her best films were Little Women, The Age of Innocence, and How to Make an American Quilt.

9 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

She's also still much remembered by many it seems for Heathers and Reality Bites. Girl Interrupted and Dracula also come up from time to time. But I think her best films were Little Women, The Age of Innocence, and How to Make an American Quilt.

She was definitely in a costume drama phase there for a while. She was also in The Crucible, making her possibly the only actress to be paired romantically onscreen with the much-acclaimed Daniel Day-Lewis twice. Seemed like she was pretty low-profile there in recent years, but she's now playing a leading role in the smash-hit Neflix sci-fi suspense drama Stranger Things.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2019 at 9:36 AM, TopBilled said:

On the Starz streaming site, there is a category of films called Screen Legends.

Screen-Shot-2019-01-01-at-7.35.05-AM.jpe

These people are included as legendary movie stars. See if you agree:

JULIA ROBERTS
HARRISON FORD
JIM CARREY
EDDIE MURPHY
TOM CRUISE
HEATH LEDGER
MORGAN FREEMAN
MEL GIBSON
GOLDIE HAWN
JUDE LAW
ROBIN WILLIAMS
JOHN TRAVOLTA
ROBERT DE NIRO
ADAM SANDLER
ROBERT REDFORD
AUDREY HEPBURN
WINONA RYDER
ANTHONY HOPKINS
JOHNNY DEPP
WILL SMITH
MATT DAMON
STEVE MCQUEEN
JAMES GARNER
KEVIN COSTNER
DONALD SUTHERLAND
RICHARD GERE
JESSICA LANGE
ALBERT BROOKS
AL PACINO
STEVE MARTIN
PAUL NEWMAN
NICOLAS CAGE
KIRK DOUGLAS
CLINT EASTWOOD
DENZEL WASHINGTON

Julia Roberts? Kill me now...

Jude Law is the John Loder of his day. I'll stop with that since I'm too tired to continue being snarky.

• Haha 1

The list is wholly specious in its aim and execution. Its just a popularity gush. And carefully selective too. I mean, it wasn't too long ago that Demi Moore was a continual locus for media buzz. So where is her name? By the logic of this list, she should be present.

12 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

The list is wholly specious in its aim and execution. Its just a popularity gush. And carefully selective too. I mean, it wasn't too long ago that Demi Moore was a continual locus for media buzz. So where is her name? By the logic of this list, she should be present.

Its just a marketing tool.     

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Its just a marketing tool.     

But I think these marketing tools tell us a lot about modern audiences. Especially regarding what they deem to be classics.

I wonder if people are starting to think that TCM is now a place for old films of the early and mid-20th century and that classics are cool films from the late 20th century. 

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

But I think these marketing tools tell us a lot about modern audiences. Especially regarding what they deem to be classics.

I wonder if people are starting to think that TCM is now a place for old films of the early and mid-20th century and that classics are cool films from the late 20th century. 

Since I don't know how Starz determined what actors were "legendary movie stars" I don't know how much this specific list tells us about 'modern audiences'.      E.g.  did Starz conduct a poll?   If yea,  that would tell us something,  but maybe Starz used other info\data to come up with such a list (e.g. box office take and DVD sales).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lost In Space said:

So, TopBilled, how do the movies differ between Starz and Starz Encore? Those are the only two channels in HD I can find on Comcast.

They're the same films. The difference is how they're watched. The Starz Encore schedules (Encore Westerns, Encore Action, etc.) list titles that will be aired at specific times each day for cable viewers who have Starz Encore. But if you subscribe to Starz streaming, you can watch any of the titles in their library, any time during the month. 

The following month, 70% of the titles remain on the schedule or remain available for streaming. But 30% of them rotate out and are replaced by different titles to ensure continued viewership and subscription.

All list of anything start arguments.  I looked at the Starz Legendary list and was surprised to find one actress not listed who seems to bring more attention for her outside interests than her acting: Angelina Jolie.  Granted she has won awards for her acting prowess, "Gia," "Girl, Interrupted", I wonder why she was not given her due on the Starz Legendary list.  She seems to be nominated for enough acting awards but does not win.  I guess its better to be mention than it is being ignored. 

Another actress who might not be quite a Starz Legendary type but flies near the "Legendary" radar: very dependable Amy Irving.  

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings