Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Favorite Films From Years Ending in 9


Det Jim McLeod
 Share

Recommended Posts

Since we are now in 2019, I was thinking of favorite films from years ending in "9". I did not see anything from 1919, but you can add that year if you wish. Here is my favorite film of each year, what are yours?

1929-

1939-

1949-

1959-

1969-

1979-

1989-

1999-

2009-

MY FAVORITES

1929- The Cocoanuts

1939- Gunga Din

1949- The Window

1959- Pillow Talk

1969- Midnight Cowboy

1979- When A Stranger Calls

1989- The Little Mermaid

1999- Election

2009- 500 Days Of Summer

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Screen-Shot-2019-01-01-at-8.16.56-AM.jpe

My nine selections:

  • 1929 - BLACKMAIL
  • 1939 - OF MICE AND MEN
  • 1949 - THE HASTY HEART 
  • 1959 - THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK
  • 1969 - MIDNIGHT COWBOY 
  • 1979 - NORMA RAE
  • 1989 - THE WAR OF THE ROSES 
  • 1999 - THE SIXTH SENSE 
  • 2009 - THE CITY OF YOUR FINAL DESTINATION
  • 2019 - TO BE DETERMINED...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TopBilled said:
  • 1929 - BLACKMAIL
  • 1939 - OF MICE AND MEN
  • 1949 - THE HASTY HEART 
  • 1959 - THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK
  • 1969 - MIDNIGHT COWBOY 
  • 1979 - NORMA RAE
  • 1989 - THE WAR OF THE ROSES 
  • 1999 - THE SIXTH SENSE 
  • 2009 - THE CITY OF YOUR FINAL DESTINATION

I am glad we agree on "Midnight Cowboy". My other favorite from your list is "Of Mice And Men", it was remade a few times but this one is still the best.

I have not seen your selections for '29,'49,'79,'89 and '09.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1929 - Bulldog Drummond

1939 - Gone With the Wind

1949 - The Third Man

1959 - Some Like It Hot

1969 - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

1979 - The China Syndrome

1989 - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (By default - I've seen little from this year)

1999 - The Sixth Sense

2009 - Avatar (By default - I haven't seen anything else)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, TomJH said:

1929 - Bulldog Drummond

1939 - Gone With the Wind

1949 - The Third Man

1959 - Some Like It Hot

1969 - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

1979 - The China Syndrome

1989 - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (By default - I've seen little from this year)

1999 - The Sixth Sense

2009 - Avatar (By default - I haven't seen anything else)

I have seen all except '29 and '79. "Gone With The Wind" and "Third Man" are great ones, both have two of the best ending scenes ever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:
  • Man with a Movie Camera (1929)
  • The Roaring Twenties (1939)
  • The Third Man (1949)
  • Anatomy of a Murder (1959)
  • The Wild Bunch (1969)
  • Apocalypse Now (1979)
  • Do the Right Thing (1989)
  • Fight Club (1999)
  • Inglourious Basterds (2009)

I have seen all except the '29 choice. Nice to see your choice for '39, one of the greatest gangster films of the decade. Cagney is excellent and Bogart has one of his best villainous roles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here are my #2 choices for each year:

  • Un Chien Andalou (1929)
  • Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)
  • Stray Dog (1949)
  • North By Northwest (1959)
  • Midnight Cowboy (1969)
  • Alien (1979)
  • Crimes & Misdemeanors (1989)
  • Magnolia (1999)
  • A Serious Man (2009)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, MaryGH said:

1929 - The Man from Nevada
1939 - Stagecoach
1949 - She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
1959 - Rio Bravo
1969 - Midnight Cowboy
1979 - Alien
1989 - Batman
1999 - The Matrix
2009 - The Haunting in Connecticut
 

I have seen all except your '29 pick. I haven't seen many from that year.

"Stagecoach" is my favorite western, there are many surprising scenes. A haunting scene of the Mexican woman singing a song and a shock moment when the stagecoach is attacked near the end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1929 - The CocoAnuts
  • 1939 - The Wizard of Oz
  • 1949 - On the Town
  • 1959 - Some Like it Hot (hon. mention, Lil' Abner,)
  • 1969 - Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
  • 1979 - Murder By Decree (hon. mention, The Great Train Robbery)
  • 1989 - The Little Mermaid
  • 1999 - The Sixth Sense
  • 2009 - Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince

(And guess we'll have movies for 2019, but not sure about 2029, unless studios can figure out what to do for a Plan B after Marvel retires.  :( )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fun idea, Det. Jim. I was surprised at how few films I've seen from 1929. Only three or four from 2009, as well. Lawrence and I like the same two films best for 1949. Would need to see several films from 1989 again to be sure of a top choice.

1929 - Pandora's Box

1939 - Gone With the Wind

1949 - Stray Dog ; Alternate: The Third Man

1959 - The Nun's Story

1969 - They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

1979 - North Dallas Forty; Alternate: Life of Brian

1989 - Crimes and Misdemeanors; Alternate: Henry V

1999 - The Talented Mr. Ripley

2009 - Julie and Julia Note: Just a placeholder. I'm sure I could find another film I like better.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think I've seen any films from 1919.  I haven't seen very many from 1929 for that matter.

1929- The Cocoanuts 

1939- Only Angels Have Wings

1949- On the Town

1959- Gidget

1969- Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice

1979- The Muppet Movie

1989- National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

1999- 10 Things I Hate About You

2009- Up

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1919 - Broken Blossoms

1929 - Pandora's Box

1939 - Gone With the Wind

1949 - Cossacks of the Kuban

1959 - North by Northwest

1969 - On Her Majesty's Secret Service

1979 - Stalker

1989 - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

1999 - Audition

2009 - District 9

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not easy, but I'll try----

'29:  THE COCOANUTS

'39:  THE WIZARD OF OZ

'49:  ADAM'S RIB

'59:  BEN-HUR

'69:  EASY RIDER

'79: BREAKING AWAY

'89: DRIVING MISS DAISY

'99: SOUTH PARK, BIGGER, LONGER and UNCUT

'09:  DISTRICT 9

What was difficult in this was having to mentally "flip a coin" for some of the years.

Sepiatone

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Here are my #2 choices for each year:

  • Un Chien Andalou (1929)
  • Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)
  • Stray Dog (1949)
  • North By Northwest (1959)
  • Midnight Cowboy (1969)
  • Alien (1979)
  • Crimes & Misdemeanors (1989)
  • Magnolia (1999)
  • A Serious Man (2009)

I haven't seen '29,'49 or '09.

The '89 choice was OK, I think I preferred the story of Alan Alda as the self absorbed TV producer than Martin Landau's guilt ridden murderer (though Landau is excellent)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, EricJ said:
  • 1929 - The CocoAnuts
  • 1939 - The Wizard of Oz
  • 1949 - On the Town
  • 1959 - Some Like it Hot (hon. mention, Lil' Abner,)
  • 1969 - Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
  • 1979 - Murder By Decree (hon. mention, The Great Train Robbery)
  • 1989 - The Little Mermaid
  • 1999 - The Sixth Sense
  • 2009 - Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince

(And guess we'll have movies for 2019, but not sure about 2029, unless studios can figure out what to do for a Plan B after Marvel retires.  :( )

I fixed the spelling on my post for '29, for some reason I always thought they had misspelled it on purpose. 

'49 is one of my favorite musicals, the cast is great and I love every single song in it.

The only one I haven't seen is '09, I saw the first Harry Potter film but did not keep up with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, kingrat said:

Fun idea, Det. Jim. I was surprised at how few films I've seen from 1929. Only three or four from 2009, as well. Lawrence and I like the same two films best for 1949. Would need to see several films from 1989 again to be sure of a top choice.

1929 - Pandora's Box

1939 - Gone With the Wind

1949 - Stray Dog ; Alternate: The Third Man

1959 - The Nun's Story

1969 - They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

1979 - North Dallas Forty; Alternate: Life of Brian

1989 - Crimes and Misdemeanors; Alternate: Henry V

1999 - The Talented Mr. Ripley

2009 - Julie and Julia Note: Just a placeholder. I'm sure I could find another film I like better.

I haven't seen '29, 49 or 09. Your '59 choice is excellent and engrossing, I think Audrey Hepburn's best performance.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I don't think I've seen any films from 1919.  I haven't seen very many from 1929 for that matter.

1929- The Cocoanuts 

1939- Only Angels Have Wings

1949- On the Town

1959- Gidget

1969- Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice

1979- The Muppet Movie

1989- National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

1999- 10 Things I Hate About You

2009- Up

I haven't seen your 79 or 99 choices. I love that you mentioned Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice, I think of it as a more adult version of the Rock Hudson/Doris Day films of the late 50s and early 60s but just as funny. I liked the contrast of Robert Culp and Natalie Wood as the modern hip couple and Elliot Gould and Dyan Cannon as the uptight strait laced one.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

The only one I haven't seen is '09, I saw the first Harry Potter film but did not keep up with it.

I haven't seen your 79 or 99 choices.

So, haven't seen Harry Potter, haven't seen The Muppet Movie, haven't seen The Third Man...

I know some New Year's video resolutions.  :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

1919 - Broken Blossoms

1929 - Pandora's Box

1939 - Gone With the Wind

1949 - Cossacks of the Kuban

1959 - North by Northwest

1969 - On Her Majesty's Secret Service

1979 - Stalker

1989 - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

1999 - Audition

2009 - District 9

I haven't seen 19,29,49,79. District 9 was an interesting sci fi spoof

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

1929 - Hell's Heroes
1939 - The Hunchback of Notre Dame
1949 - Act of Violence
1959 - Anatomy of a Murder
1969 - Once Upon a Time in the West
1979 - Alien
1989 - Kill Me Again
1999 - Dogma
2009 - Dark Country

Hey, Joe, your faves are just a barrel of laughs, right? Act of Violence almost made my list, too, and Hunchback and Anatomy are mighty good.

 

3 hours ago, EricJ said:

So, haven't seen Harry Potter, haven't seen The Muppet Movie, haven't seen The Third Man...

I know some New Year's video resolutions.  :(

Eric, I'd certainly go for The Third Man first, unless you're in the mood for some silliness like Muppet Movie, which is fun. If you haven't seen any of the Harry Potters, as with the books the first three are the best, the fourth is good, and the others complete the story.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...