Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Ladykillers

KatsView

The Ladykillers is showing on TV in color I know the original was in B&W but cannot find any info on the  internet I cannot watch it in color I feel that the took away all intrigue.  Anyone have any info.

Happy New Year to all

Thank you

24 minutes ago, KatsView said:

The Ladykillers is showing on TV in color I know the original was in B&W but cannot find any info on the  internet I cannot watch it in color I feel that the took away all intrigue.  Anyone have any info.

Happy New Year to all

Thank you

Welcome to the boards.

According to the film's technical specifications on the IMDb, it was produced in Technicolor.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048281/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec

I agree with the underlying point made by the op above, too. There is something inherently more dramatic and tense about black n white photography. They don't call it Gestalt Theory for nuttin'.

I've also heard tell that b&w camerawork is powerful as well not just for the shapes (Gestalt) but because our subconscious mind usually dreams in b&w. Woody Allen believes in this, as did the German Expressionists.

Thank you both for replying I wish I had enough confidence to try that Sgt_Markoff that would solve a multitude of issues.  I tried searching the internet and it was showing that it was in Technicolor but I swear the previous times I watched it it was in B&W.  Maybe I should try searching Studio Canal??

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was able to enjoy the movie with the distraction of too much color which I think happens sometimes when it is colorized.  I was able to enjoy the script which I think is brilliant and the understated character of Alec Guiness and a very early Peter Sellers.

Info from IMDb

The Ladykillers (1955)

Details
Language: English
Release Date: 24 February 1956 (Belgium) See more »
Also Known As: The Lady Killers See more »
Filming Locations: Argyle Street, St. Pancras, London, England, UK See more »
Company Credits
Production Co: Ealing Studios, Michael Balcon Productions See more »
Show more on IMDbPro »
Technical Specs
Runtime: 91 min
Sound Mix: Mono (RCA Sound Recording)
Color: Color (Colour by) (Technicolor)
Aspect Ratio: 1.37 : 1

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings