Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KatsView

The Ladykillers

The Ladykillers is showing on TV in color I know the original was in B&W but cannot find any info on the  internet I cannot watch it in color I feel that the took away all intrigue.  Anyone have any info.

Happy New Year to all

Thank you

24 minutes ago, KatsView said:

The Ladykillers is showing on TV in color I know the original was in B&W but cannot find any info on the  internet I cannot watch it in color I feel that the took away all intrigue.  Anyone have any info.

Happy New Year to all

Thank you

Welcome to the boards.

According to the film's technical specifications on the IMDb, it was produced in Technicolor.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048281/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec

A TV set can be made to run a color film in b&w. Just open the panel, find the RGB controls, and dial them all back down to zero.

• Like 1

I agree with the underlying point made by the op above, too. There is something inherently more dramatic and tense about black n white photography. They don't call it Gestalt Theory for nuttin'.

I've also heard tell that b&w camerawork is powerful as well not just for the shapes (Gestalt) but because our subconscious mind usually dreams in b&w. Woody Allen believes in this, as did the German Expressionists.

Thank you both for replying I wish I had enough confidence to try that Sgt_Markoff that would solve a multitude of issues.  I tried searching the internet and it was showing that it was in Technicolor but I swear the previous times I watched it it was in B&W.  Maybe I should try searching Studio Canal??

You're welcome! Don't worry about my tip harming your TV, its perfectly safe. Don't be a-skeered!   ;) You might even be able to do it through your set's "menu" via the remote control.

I wasn't worried about your tip harming my TV I was worried about what I might do to the TV .. Thank you for the menu tip I think I will try that.

I've never seen a black-and-white print of this film. It's always been in color on TCM, and on Starz where it was recently available for streaming.

54 minutes ago, KatsView said:

Sgt_Markoff you were right watched The Ladykillers in B&W throuhg menu.  Thank you!

Did that make the movie "better"...?

I was able to enjoy the movie with the distraction of too much color which I think happens sometimes when it is colorized.  I was able to enjoy the script which I think is brilliant and the understated character of Alec Guiness and a very early Peter Sellers.

Info from IMDb

The Ladykillers (1955)

Details
Language: English
Release Date: 24 February 1956 (Belgium) See more »
Also Known As: The Lady Killers See more »
Filming Locations: Argyle Street, St. Pancras, London, England, UK See more »
Company Credits
Production Co: Ealing Studios, Michael Balcon Productions See more »
Show more on IMDbPro »
Technical Specs
Runtime: 91 min