Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Elizabeth Warren Pres. Candidacy.....

4 hours ago, mr6666 said:

........it is also true that middle-aged and older women have powered the opposition to Trump, from the first Women’s March onward. They are standing up and doing what is right, taking on the power centers in both parties to effect change. They are angered by his violations of political and social norms. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/02/21/maybe-it-will-take-woman-beat-trump/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

:unsure:

Yet we continue to see Republicans elected to the House and Senate.  While the Dems took over the House, it is a very slim margin and many Dems are in Red districts and very vulnerable.  The GOPers continue to control the Senate and majority of state governments.

We must treat coronavirus as the serious health, diplomatic, and economic threat it i

Weeks ago, I released a plan for the health risks: more funding for public health and international aid programs, and centralize response management in the White House.

• Haha 1

THE EDITORIAL BOARD ENDORSES

The Boston Globe endorses Elizabeth Warren

The Senator is the best choice for Democrats.

".......But one candidate stands out as a leader with the qualifications, the track record, and the tenacity to defend the principles of democracy, bring fairness to an economy that is excluding too many Americans, and advance a progressive agenda. She would fight the corruption and corporate influence that distort our politics, lift up working families, and combat gun violence and climate change. That candidate is Elizabeth Warren.

Senator Warren sees corruption, including the influence of corporate money in elections and of lobbyists in the legislative process, as the gateway problem that impedes progress on crises plaguing both the country and the planet. ..........

Fearless and brilliant on her feet, Warren has the greatest potential among the candidates to lay bare Trump’s weaknesses on a debate stage. The Senator gets the most mileage when she brings her fight not to caricatures of billionaires in wine caves but to the real people in the room with her — whether businessmen or bureaucrats — who have failed to fulfill the responsibilities of public service or whose plans for the country are half-baked or ill-conceived. (She’d also be wise to lay off commenting on competitors’ physical attributes.)

What elevates Warren’s candidacy is that she consistently advocates for policies that have a firm backbone of empirical research and financial analysis, and she supports a robust research enterprise for the wider benefits it would deliver............

The electorate, at least in recent polls and in the early states, is signaling its preference for the profound change that underpins Warren’s agenda. Sanders has been the main beneficiary, but is less likely to deliver; he has shown no ability over the course of his career to build broad legislative coalitions.

Warren is uniquely poised to accomplish serious reform without sacrificing what’s working in our economy and innovation ecosystem. She would get under the hood to fix the engine — not drive off a cliff, but also not just kick the tires.............

see:   https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/02/26/opinion/globe-endorses-elizabeth-warren/

National Organization for Women PAC Endorses Elizabeth Warren for President

The PAC evaluates federal candidates on their record and uncompromising dedication to the core issues of NOW: Constitutional Equality, Ending Violence Against Women, Economic Justice, LGBTQIA+ Justice, Racial Justice, and Reproductive Justice.

“Senator Warren has the most comprehensive, intersectional plans to tackle the issues important to NOW,” said NOW PAC Chairwoman Toni Van Pelt. “Her campaign, her staff and her coalition of support shows her Administration will finally execute and pass these policies that NOW has worked toward for decades.”..........

see: https://www.nowpac.org/warren

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

National Organization for Women PAC Endorses Elizabeth Warren for President

The PAC evaluates federal candidates on their record and uncompromising dedication to the core issues of NOW: Constitutional Equality, Ending Violence Against Women, Economic Justice, LGBTQIA+ Justice, Racial Justice, and Reproductive Justice.

“Senator Warren has the most comprehensive, intersectional plans to tackle the issues important to NOW,” said NOW PAC Chairwoman Toni Van Pelt. “Her campaign, her staff and her coalition of support shows her Administration will finally execute and pass these policies that NOW has worked toward for decades.”..........

see: https://www.nowpac.org/warren

NOW is only coming out with an endorsement,  now?

Anyhow,   looks like NOW wants Warren to be like Trump;  use executive actions to push their agenda since they make no mention of Congress.

Uh,  the President can't "pass" any polices!!!!    (they can only implement or like Trump delay \ mess with implementation).

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

NOW is only coming out with an endorsement,  now?

Anyhow,   looks like NOW wants Warren to be like Trump;  use executive actions to push their agenda since they make no mention of Congress.

Uh,  the President can't "pass" any polices!!!!    (they can only implement or like Trump delay \ mess with implementation).

Using executive order to help diabetics and the ill is much different than using it to build walls or start wars. Two completely different things.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Using executive order to help diabetics and the ill is much different than using it to build walls or start wars. Two completely different things.

Yes they are;   A President shouldn't use executive orders to push domestic policies since that is up to the US Congress or the states.      But for foreign policy items the President has such authority. 

PS:  The above doesn't mean I agree with these executive orders by Trump;  only that such items are under the authority of the President.

Just now, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yes they are;   A President shouldn't use executive order to push domestic policies since that is up to the US Congress or the states.      But for foreign policy items the President has such authority. 

Just because it is a certain way doesn't mean it should be.

1 minute ago, Gershwin fan said:

Just because it is a certain way doesn't mean it should be.

Yea,   the same can be said for the Electoral College.        I guess my point is about hypocrisy by both major parties as it relates to the power of the President.

A few weeks back Adam Schiff wrote an article that was in the L.A. Times about how Congress should pass laws to reduce Trump's power.

I don't support that;  instead I wrote here that Congress should pass laws to reduce the powers of the President (e.g.  a revised war powers act),   but that such laws would NOT take effect until the current President is out of office.         My gut tell me that no Congress would ever be able to agree on this since both sides would NOT wish to reduce the powers of future Presidents since they might be THEIR President.       

I cannot forgive Elizabeth Warren for her outrageous claim about being Native American. I know she apologized, but I think her apology should not be accepted, the lie was so unkind and insulting.

Trump actually did her a favor in making that ridiculous joke about it, thereby getting her a modicum of sympathy which she doesn't deserve.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Swithin said:

I cannot forgive Elizabeth Warren for her outrageous claim about being Native American. I know she apologized, but I think her apology should not be accepted, the lie was so unkind and insulting.

Trump actually did her a favor in making that ridiculous joke about it, thereby getting her a modicum of sympathy which she doesn't deserve.

I would hope no one would "forgive" Warren for that outrageous claim.    But hopefully it doesn't mean they wouldn't get off their butt and vote for her over Trump in November.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I would hope no one would "forgive" Warren for that outrageous claim.    But hopefully it doesn't mean they wouldn't get off their butt and vote for her over Trump in November.

Millions chose to 'forgive' or not believe at all that Donald Trump was a serial sexual abuser.   Elizabeth Warren's apology over something really really insignificant in the scheme of things was good enough for me.  Trump has never apologized.  People that do so should be forgiven.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Millions chose to 'forgive' or not believe at all that Donald Trump was a serial sexual abuser.   Elizabeth Warren's apology over something really really insignificant in the scheme of things was good enough for me.  Trump has never apologized.  People that do so should be forgiven.

I don't view Warren's lies as "really,  really insignificant".

She used this made-up-title to advance herself.

Her so call apology was bogus IMO.

While saying  "but Trump is worst" is 100% true,   but to me,  irrelevant here as it relates to how one should feel towards Warren and her actions,  except when it comes down to the single act of voting.      (so in that way,  if by "really insignificant" you meant related to the act of voting,     I agree,  but not with regards to the act itself).

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I don't view Warren's lies as "really,  really insignificant".

She used this made-up-title to advance herself.

Her so call apology was bogus IMO.

While saying  "but Trump is worst" is 100% true,   but to me,  irrelevant here as it relates to how one should feel towards Warren and her actions,  except when it comes down to the single act of voting.      (so in that way,  if by "really insignificant" you meant related to the act of voting,     I agree,  but not with regards to the act itself).

Let the politician who is without sin cast the first stone.

I have said the before Warren was guilty of repeating something which she was told by her family.  She was probably very proud of it too   It was 50 years ago!!!!

34 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Let the politician who is without sin cast the first stone.

I have said the before Warren was guilty of repeating something which she was told by her family.  She was probably very proud of it too   It was 50 years ago!!!!

Being told something by your family and passing that along in casual conversation is one thing,    using unverified info in an application to promote yourself is another thing,  especially given the Dems focus on identity politics.     What Warren did was an attempt to "belong" to a non-white group to increase her political creed.

Anyhow,   it doesn't matter;  Warren will drop out by the end of this week.      Maybe she will be a V.P.  candidate to help with gather that native American voter!

In my opinion, it's not so much that Warren lied to advance herself. It's that she took advantage of a process which was supposed to help the less fortunate, the disenfranchised. That's a pretty terrible thing to do, particularly for a liberal. Kind of like a right-wing Republican employing an illegal immigrant. It's not only a lie, it's hypocrisy.

I don't believe that apologies/repentance washes away the sin. That's a vestige of America's Christian tradition, and I think not always a good aspect of it. 

4 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Being told something by your family and passing that along in casual conversation is one thing,    using unverified info in an application to promote yourself is another thing,  especially given the Dems focus on identity politics.     What Warren did was an attempt to "belong" to a non-white group to increase her political creed.

Anyhow,   it doesn't matter;  Warren will drop out by the end of this week.      Maybe she will be a V.P.  candidate to help with gather that native American voter!

I believe that she is trying to do a lot for Native Americans.  Maybe she is trying to atone for her mistakes which I would commend.

Trump is incapable of any of that.  Look at Puerto Rico.  He would go after his accusers.

58 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

I believe that she is trying to do a lot for Native Americans.  Maybe she is trying to atone for her mistakes which I would commend.

Trump is incapable of any of that.  Look at Puerto Rico.  He would go after his accusers.

Like I said I don't have issues with Warren. 

As for 'go after his accusers":   As Swithin notes,   Warren didn't have to since Trump hit first;    Swithin made a wise point when he stated this: Trump actually did her a favor in making that ridiculous joke about it, thereby getting her a modicum of sympathy which she doesn't deserve.

This is another example where Trump is his own worst enemy.    If Trump would have shut-up,  as Swithin implies the MSM would have made a bigger deal about Warren's actions instead of putting most of the focus on Trump and his racist,  ridiculous joke and unprofessional (but par-for-the-course),  behavior.     

21 minutes ago, Swithin said:

In my opinion, it's not so much that Warren lied to advance herself. It's that she took advantage of a process which was supposed to help the less fortunate, the disenfranchised. That's a pretty terrible thing to do, particularly for a liberal. Kind of like a right-wing Republican employing an illegal immigrant. It's not only a lie, it's hypocrisy.

I don't believe that apologies/repentance washes away the sin. That's a vestige of America's Christian tradition, and I think not always a good aspect of it. 

Forgiveness is not just a good policy for the person who has committed the grievance, it's also good for the person who was victimized. Hatred and bitterness is no place to live.

But Swith--

You are spot-on right about how wrong it is to try and take an advantage or opportunity away from someone who justly deserves it.

Yes, she was beyond a hypocrite. She was trying to game the system.

Anyone can make a mistake, but she did that on purpose. And it does display some kind of a disgusting limitation in her character.

• Like 1